Best Heritage Component Setup for Incredible Custom Center Channel?

Dayzed50

ok, so my quest to find a lone belleklipsch for a center channel/tv stand has been unsuccessful as of yet. been working with some veneer plywood/mdf center enclosures lately and i think i'm gonna build my own center channel speaker. my question is: what heritage components would make for an incredible center channel assembly? it's gotta keep up with the la scala fronts and heresy III surrounds. i'm thinkin somewhere along the lines of a k-77 tweeter (or 2), k-55 drivers(or two) with k-600 (1 or 2) or k-400 (1 max) horns, and either a single k-33 or k-43 15" woofer or maybe a pair of k-42 12" woofers. also, are standard klipsch heritage x-overs ie type A, AA, B only capable of being used with 3 speaker component setups or less, or can you sneak in a second tweeter or squawker without having to run a second x-over? i'm familiar with ohm loads and calculating total loads with multiple speakers both with series and parallel setups so that part i can handle. thanks for the help guys, lets get an ultimate center channel design goin!

Have you also looked at LaScalas for a center? I know that if I owned a pair of Belle's I'd be loath to split them up. Implication of that is you might need to buy a pair of them rather than being able to find a single one easily.

Or, buy the pair and sell one yourself?

Otherwise, I'd say to match your LaScalas as exact as you can....so either buy a single or pair of LaScalas or if you're going to build a speaker, I'd build a LaScala and match the components to the left/right.

it's gotta keep up with the la scala fronts and heresy III surrounds

Just a side comment.....if you find something capable of keeping up with the LaScala fronts, I don't think you'll have an issue with the Heresy's [;)]

Do I read correctly that you might want to double down on some drivers in the center channel? If so, why? Doesn't having multiple drivers playing the same material introduce other negative issues that we generally don't want to have? (comb filtering or something like that?)

If you want my honest opinion on what to do.... build yourself a LaScala bass bin (or buy one) and yank the existing K400/77's out of your EXISTING LaScalas and slap either the huge K402 on top or the smaller K510 (could mount inside cabinet with some woodwork) and convert all of your LaScalas to JubeScalas. Drop them down to a 2-way speaker, biamp and prepare to be stunned at what you hear.

lets get an ultimate center channel design goin!

JubeScala baby!

If you want my honest opinion on what to do.... build yourself a LaScala bass bin (or buy one) and yank the existing K400/77's out of your EXISTING LaScalas and slap either the huge K402 on top or the smaller K510 (could mount inside cabinet with some woodwork) and convert all of your LaScalas to JubeScalas. Drop them down to a 2-way speaker, biamp and prepare to be stunned at what you hear.

U tease!!!

I built what I call a squatting Lascala. I picked up a used AA Crossover, K-77, and K-55 driver. I bought a woofer from Crites and a 401 Horn from Klipsch. I was able to reduce the heighth down to 26 - 27 inches which will work for the screen I'm building (115"). I made the woofer box wider to keep the volume near the production model and mounted the K-77 to the side of the 401. The heighth of the base bin is constrained by the 15" woofer. I made it 16". I also took some heighth off the HF section with mounting the K-77 to the side. There is room for a second tweeter, but the advice I got from the forum is that there could be comb filtering effects with having two tweeters so close. I can't tell the difference in sound from my ca. 1981 LaScalas and this new build and the trio is very impressive with any movie, though I've only watch some samples so far on an older tube tv.

bob

The sizzle of the tweeter is indded good to match, but "we live in the midrange" as has been said over n over good or bad. Do your best to match the mids to the fronts with the exact midrange drivers. It will be Nirvana for your ears, if you do. Again, I scream it from all over to newbies here... Timbre matters.

You want an example why?

Listen carefully when a truck goes from off screen left to the front left speaker..., to center,... to right, When done right.. It is so awesome!! You want it and get it to be seemless when you use the same 3 speakers up front.

IndyKipschFan,

Ya hafta wait until I get home. Unfortunately, I didn't do build photos, but then there are plenty of those. I do have a photo of the three fronts which I'll post when I get on my home 'puter. I have some sketchy (as in questionable in accuracy) Sketchup drawings and a calc sheet on the inner dimensions of the base bin if anybody is interested. This includes calcs on the angle of the W front.

bob

well, i gotta say i love the shorter la scala billy. i think thats the way i'll go. if you could send out the dimensional sketches of the bass bin that'd be awesome (dayzed50@hotmail.com). i have a buddy who is a wizard with granite and marble, he told me he could fab up a top front piece to mount the horn and tweeter recessed into, should be a good look. i'm thinkin a trapezoid shape would work well. i'm a sucker for symmetry so i'll prob go a few inches taller to put the k-77 above the horn. the room is large enough to accomodate a higher tv setup. i love the look of the scalas, i'd just like to have something in the center with a little more style, hence my first instinct in getting the lone belle. spose i'm in the market for la scala components now.....

If my memory is right, and I can't say it is, it's 3" from the baffle to the back of the speaker, where the flares travel at 45 degrees. Then the horn turns 90 degrees and a distance of 3" is maintained between the sides of the doghouse and the outsides of the horn for 6" or so, and then the doghouse sides turn and flare to meet each other with an incidence of 60 degrees where the mouth is about 24" x 24".

If you were to unfold the horn, you'd see basically a conical flare that starts at 13" x 6" and expands to ~24" x 6", has a 6" step at ~24" x 6" where there is no flare, and then expands to ~24" x~24" over a length of ~18".

My question concerns how you calculated those distances and angles to build the modified horn.

ok, so my quest to find a lone belleklipsch for a center channel/tv stand has been unsuccessful as of yet.

It could take quite a while to find a single Belle or Scala, but if you find a pair, which is much easier, you can either sell the second one or use it as a rear surround speaker. A Belle dresses up the room, no matter where you place it.