Blue Ray Player

jcmusic

To me the PS3 is the best blu-ray player for the money. Wireless internet allows you to stream Windows Media player 11 through your PS3 (movies and music you stored), streams Netflix and obvioulsy does a tremendous job with blu-ray and upconverting regular DVDs. I haven't heard of a single person on this forum that didn't like the PS3 and from what I've read it is much more user friendly than a lot of the other blu-ray players in its price range that offer similar things. You can get the 120GB PS3 for $299, might be able to get the 80GB version for less (don't know honestly). I love mine, it loads extemely fast as well, firmware updates help keep the system current....just love it and I don't use it for gaming at all. Just my .02. Good luck

okay, well if it has multi-channel inputs (if it is an elite it most likely will) then i recommend the pioneer bdp-320 or bdp-23f (same as the bdp-320 but with the elite badge). They have extremely slow load times but make up for it with very top class sound and picture quality. Okay if your receiver does not have multi-channel inputs and you are just going to use an optical cable to connect then there are a abundance of $100-$150 players that will work for you, just find one on sale with good reviews. I second the ps3 being the best blu-ray player out there (although it does not have multichannel inputs). If you want all the extras features and a reliable blu-ray player go that route. You could get a player that works fine for you for 3 times less though

I just ordered a Pioneer BDP-320 because it has multi-channel analog outputs.

My Marantz receiver does not have HDMI inputs, but has multi-channel analog inputs. With these inputs I can take advantage of the new sound formats without purchasing a HDMI receiver.

i love my bdp-320. It really is a top performer in both the audio and video department. You are going to love it, minus the extremely slow load times. MB with older receivers that have multi-channel inputs but no hdmi you can still get the HD Sound codecs, they are sent directly from the blu-ray player. Not all blu-ray players can decode and send the codecs thats why the bdp-320 is so great.

• Moderators

I am going to try this one, Samsung, also steams wireless Internet radio, Netflix and more, and has HDMI and connections for older receivers to get the better signal. $200-$250 and really good reveiws on BD picture and sound.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray/blu-ray-players/BD-C6500/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

• Moderators

I went back to read about the Pioneer and it sounds good I just wish it had wireless for the Pandora and netflix, that's a big part of looking at these.........and my old universal DVD player died, I only have a few SACD and DVD A's so I am not even going to go than route anymore.

I know alot of samsung blu-ray players were glitchy, but by now i am sure they have it figured out. Personally $250 is too much for me, i would just get a ps3. If you need the analog outs though this could be a good option, you want to make sure that the player can decode and send all the highdef codecs or else the multichannel outputs will be pointless. I just got an xbox 360 and i have to say that i think that the HD netflix is pretty cool! Good selection of hd movies once you search them all out and add them to your que. I will watch atleast one of those a week. I also tested out a LG bd-390 (i believe) before. It had multichannel outputs and decoded and sent all of the HD codecs. The sound quality was totally subpar of my bdp-320, just something to think about. Do your research!

• Moderators

One question, I do NOT have HDMI on my receiver but I DO have it on the TV.

I thought I would run HDMI to the TV and connect to the receiver for just the sound.

Would I be better off using the 7.1 output or the optical cable going to the receiver ? If both gets the correct codecs, which connection is the best quality for sound ?

• Moderators

does your receiver have 7.1 analog input? You cant send HD sound through optical...

Yes it has 7.1 analog input's and optical. I had the now dead SACD/DVD-A player connected like that, still have all the cables.

" Jay; What is HD sound? How does it sound? I have never heard of HD sound before only HD video!!! "

That's what I have been wondering, I was hoping I could kill a few birds with one stone, Bluray,HD sound, Internet radio and netflix wireless, all with a new DVD player.