RC-64 Doesn't sound right.

sarge1976

Hi Guys, This is my first post and I just signed up today for the forums. I recently had an RC-52 hooked up to my RF-83s because I had no room for my RC-64. I had to have a TV stand custom built in order to use my 64. Anyways I have been using my 64 for a few weeks now and it doesn't sound right. I find myself constantly having to turn up the center channel volume on my AVR. The 64 sounds lower than the 52 for some reason. I am powering my front 3 with an Emotiva XPA-3. I have used the auto cal program in my AVR and also used an SPL meter. I was expecting the 64 to be a lot better than my old 52 but so far I'm not too impressed. Am I doing something wrong? Is it normal to have to turn the center's volume up more than the fronts? I waited about 4 months for my stand to be built and I'm kinda dissapointed with my RC-64 now that I have it hooked up. I would appreciate your help and suggestions, Thanks.

Sarge1976,

Welcome to the forum. It seems like one or two things are happening. You have a defective RC-64 or you do not have it set properly. Do you have the center channel on your receiver set to large or small? What is your center crossover set to? I have my RC-64 set one decibal louder than my RF-63's to compensate for the difference in sensitivity.

Did you have the XPA-3 hooked up to your RC-52? If not, maybe the center channel on the amp has an issue.

The RC-64 is the best sounding center channel I have ever heard. It could double as a small tower speaker if you wanted to.

Bill

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Can you post a pic of the front of your room? Where is the center channel placed? Is it angled towards the listenening area? I say that because I purchased an RC-7 and wasn't impressed with it at all. I had it placed above my TV in my enterrtainment center. Someone suggested that I angle it downward towards my listening area and it made all the difference.

Hi, Thanks for responding. I have all of my speakers set to small with the Xover at 80 all around. Don't get me wrong the 64 is a beautiful speaker, I don't know what the problem could be. Maybe I should set it to large? Yes I had the XPA-3 hooked up to the RC-52.

• Moderators

Hi, My avatar pic is my setup.

Well duh! How did I miss that one? I need some sleep. [:P]

Is the 64 supposed to put out any sort of bass? Just curious.

Yes, the 64 does produce some bass but to be honest, I can't hear it over the RF-83's and Velodyne sub. Guess the only way to hear how much bass it produces is to only plug in the RC-64.

• Moderators

Maybe I should set it to large?

Feel free to try it both ways. There are various opinions on whether to set your speakers to large or set them to small and let your sub handle the lower frequencies. The key is to set it up to however it sounds best to you. Doesn't do any good to have it setup like someone here suggests if it sounds better to your ears another way.

Did you buy your 64 new or used? Can you verify that all drivers are working properly? A blown tweeter would definitely lower it's performance.

If I understand it correctly, with the RC-64 having a 96db Sensitivity vs the RC-52's 93db Sensitivity, if all settings are the same, the RC-64 should play louder at the same volume as the RC-52. When you run the audessey, that of course might change things because it will automatically try and turn down the RC-64 to match the other speakers.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Yesterday I screwed with my AVR(Pioneer Elite SC-27) menu and got into the manual EQ and speaker settings. I finally got my RF-83s to produce bass and got my 64 sounding a little better. Do you guys know if you can remove the rubber feet that are attached to the RF-83s? I need the extra inch or two because I am evetually getting an SVS PBU-13.

• Moderators

Do you guys know if you can remove the rubber feet that are attached to the RF-83s?

You should be able to unscrew them. Mine do not have rubber feet on them and I have added the carpet spikes. Below is a shot of the feet without carpet spikes.

2318189468_d62f5d8bec.jpg

Yeah, I meant the feet. I assumed the were made out of rubber. I was wondering if they can be unscrewed. How come you have your speaker cables plugged into the top inputs? Just curious, I use the bottom inputs. Does it sound better that way?

• Moderators

Yeah, I meant the feet. I assumed the were made out of rubber. I was wondering if they can be unscrewed.

The feet are made of plastic. I don't remember but I'm guessing they just have a screw securing them to the speaker. Not sure though, they could be glued on.

How come you have your speaker cables plugged into the top inputs? Just curious, I use the bottom inputs. Does it sound better that way?

Oh you've got to try hooking it to the top inputs. Way better clarity, bass response and really opens up the dynamics of the speaker. [:D] Nah, just kidding. It doesn't matter which you hook it to because the metal jumpers connect the top to the bottom. Either way you hook them is fine. You will notice that it does say HF (High Frequency) and LF(Low Frequency). This is used if you want to bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers using a different amp for the lows and an amp for the highs.

Oh you've got to try hooking it to the top inputs. Way better clarity, bass response and really opens up the dynamics of the speaker. Big Smile Nah, just kidding. It doesn't matter which you hook it to because the metal jumpers connect the top to the bottom. Either way you hook them is fine. You will notice that it does say HF (High Frequency) and LF(Low Frequency). This is used if you want to bi-wire or bi-amp the speakers using a different amp for the lows and an amp for the highs.

Could it be that he is missing the jumpers on the RC-64?