4638 is in the house!

space_cowboy

Amp should be here any day now. This thing is huge, has to be seen in person. I have a question for those of you who have one: the speaker wire terminals are strange, there is room to stick a wire in and the terminals push in, but how is the wire held securely in place? I've never seen terminals like this and have searched other threads to no avail. Hopefully someone can help. I'll never give up my Klipsch, but this will be fun to experiment with.cwm12.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jnorv is korrect. You need to PULL (I think...) the lug out, and insert the wire from the bottom. Hard to "see" but much better from and engineering standpoint.

Enjoy! If I was in anyway responcible for swaying you to buy the sub, best of luck and POST QUESTIONS, I will respond.

A subwoofer of this caliber is a very dangerous tool, use it responcibly...

BASS

BASS

BASS

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

You know, I'm really starting to wonder what it would cost for me to bring one over here... I will be expanding in a new much bigger space now, and I'm afraid the bass might not be sufficient.

I'm only worried about the amp part... Could I use a Prologic receiver and bridge the output in some way? The JBLs are 4 ohms, aren't they?

Anyone from Canada order these?

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Seb... Call JBL pro at 818-894-8850, they will answer your questions. All you have to lose is the price of the phone call.

Amp - I'm starting out with a Crown CE1000 to drive these (pro amp). You need one channel of amplification for each bin, that is stable to 3.5 ohms (minimum impedance on the system as listed by JBL). It is doubtful that your receiver is bridgeable. Even if it is bridgeable, it is not likely it would be stable at that impedance - most amplifiers lose some ability for low impedance drive when bridged. Pro amps seem more suited for the 4638's - if you need an affordable option to power these.

Most cheapo receivers would not be recommended for the job - in fact, many home amps/recievers aren't suitable for the JBL's. A Bryston would be excellent for a pair of these cabinets, but that's too many $$$ for me.

Kenratboy, do these connections use bare wire only?

I've got 2 of the 4638 in transit - can't wait to hear them!

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

Thanks for the replies, I'll look at the bottom of it when I get home tonight.

kenratboy - your posts probably influenced me to some extent and I'll likely have more questions, so thanks in advance...

JMON - the charge posted to my credit card on 3/21 and I received it yesterday, 3/27; can't remember when I placed the order though, either early last week or late the week before that...

No banana plugs or heavy lugs. I think they could take pins and 8 gague cable, though a simple 14-12 gague cable will be fine.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

They're heeeeeeere!!

.........And they're quite large! Very solid build too. There's no doubt that this is serious gear - very rugged.

Any suggestions on how to remove that pesky adhesive left by that warning label, that won't harm the vinyl cabinet finish? The cabinets arrived in great shape otherwise.

All I need now is the amp and EQ, which is in transit. That wait will drive me crazy!

I swear I'm gonna get arrestedcwm17.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

dndphishin -

Glad you got them. I can't imagine having two of these, be careful. I just used a damp towel and scrubbed the adhesive off, there wasn't much on mine.

I connected mine Friday using that Parts Express 150W plate amp and it's more than enough for me right now. The entire package cost me < $300! Unbelievable. It's really wild to feel the air rushing out of those ports. Let us know when yours are working.

Has anyone built a little box or cabinet for their amp?

Parts Express also has some heavy duty metal grilles I may order.

Kenneth, the JBL master has arrived (that is not an egotistical comment...)

dndphishin: Congrads, you would be hardpressed to NOT say the speaker is heavy duty! I an fortunate enough to own a little property and an able to CRANK the puppy. What I recommend is turning it on, and walking outside to see how loud it is. My walls are all 2X8 and I have new, double-pained windows, so I can crank it all night long.

LABLE REMOVAL: Mine was a 48-hour ***** to remove. First, I peeled as much off as I could. Second, I used 409 to dissolve more off. That night, I put a wet towel over the area. The next morning, I used more 409, NOTHING. I then used some WD-40, that got all but 10% off. For the last 10%, I used 50% HCl, or Muratic Acid, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT WILL DO, IT IS VERY POWERFUL ACID!!! That did it-

space_cowboy: I have not build a cabinet for my amp. I just have it sitting on top of my sub. There is a towel under it to prevent scratching. As BIG as the sub is, there is not way in hell the amp will fall off due to bass.

------------------

JBL 4638 #2 is on it's way. Better start with the neighbor relations campaign and nail down the couch.

I guess I'll just get another PartsExpress 250W sub amp unless anyone has a better suggestion.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

Muratic acid (50% HCl) makes your skin melt and bubble, for real.

It got that lable off in 10 seconds, then I cleaned it, if it was on too long, I am sure it would have melted the vinyl... This is not a family friendle chemical, but works wonder for cleaning BAD stuff.

------------------