4638 is in the house!

space_cowboy

Forrest asked:

"What is your agenda here with JBL? Everybody with any history know how knows JBL are OK drivers and mediocre speakers design and way overpriced because of the brand name they build."

I can't speak for Tom, but my agenda is price vs. performance ratio. I just got rid of a Velodyne CT 150 and replaced it with two JBL's and a Crown power amp - it eats the Velo's performance like an appetizer, a man vs. a boy.

If you are so hung up on us JBL "disciples" having 20 hz bass, maybe you can start a fund for us, so we can all have a pair of SVS Ultras! Just think Forrest, you could become a hero, by saving us all.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like The Ears's idea of forrestchump sticking his head in a plastic bag. But first, he'll have to pull it out of his rectum!

I think everyone understood what they were buying. Yes, it is a price/performance thing. Unfortunately, some of us don't have unlimited funds for things like stereo gear and have to make compromises. This seemed like a good one to me.

CT

------------------

=====================================

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

What is ForrestGump trying to prove? Everyone, but him are mature, well-versed people who, for the most part, govern themselves and get along.

I KNOW: ForrestGump is jealous because he has a 20-year old boombox with a broken tape player and FM tuner, so he spends his days listening to AM radio! And he wants revenge! What a looser!

Remember Forrest, this is THE INTERNET and you can't hurt me (verbally/emotionally) so spout trash all you want, I will just laugh at your acinine, half-*** remarks to these posts. Go ahead, call me a idiotic JBL supporter, call TB a card-carrying freak (sorry for bringing you up), call TheEAR a little French freak (sorry for bringing you up, too), but we don't care! We all have REAL lives and FRIENDS, so your petty remarks have the impact of a gnat hitting the grill on my truck!

Get lost, your just a sorce of entertainment for the other 9,000+ people on this forum!

P.S. These responces are the best, it's so much fun!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

quote:

Originally posted by TBrennan:

Boa---My RTA shows my dual 4648s flat at 25, that's with the EQ from the PE plateamp. What does your rig show? You got numbers? And 4 2226s are gonna move alot more air at lower distortion than a single "hi-fi" build 18. With one exception the subs I've heard sound like rumbling, overshooting runaway junk compared to the 4648s. Ahhh, it's all moot, I'm going to sell the JBLs and get the Edgar Seismic anyhow, everything sounds crummy compared to it.

OK TOM, GIVE ALL! I think it's fair to assume you spied this thing in Lima?? DO TELL ALL.

TB,

Based on your numbers, can you comment on what we should expect from the 4638s? Thanks.

CT

------------------

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

SoundJunkie---Right now Edgar has no website, he has one in the works. The Seismic is a 35hz hyperbolic horn, 72"x32"x26" as I recall (I left the fact sheet at work). Uses an 18" PAS driver. Flat to 25hz with the EQ of the HSU plateamp he uses, flat to 35 otherwise. In unfinished MDF $1000, maple plywood $1500, fancy furniture veneers $3500. Buy direct from Edgar. 18235 S. Figuerora, Gardena California, 90248. Give Bruce a call for info 310-630-1621 515s in Imperials eh? One thing is for sure, those 515s will give you glorious upper bass and lower mids, the best.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 04-15-2002 at 07:54 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Only 34 of the 4638's remain at JBL Pro at the tent sale (they've updated this quantity in the last day or two). They are almost gone. If you are considering these, better hurry.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

*** Alpha Testing Complete ***

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are gone now, not listed in the tent sale anymore. cwm36.gif

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10 (LOL, soon to be replaced)

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638