If you have Netflix, do not....................

Dr. Jim Mixon

Our internet speed is only 3 megs/sec so I've forgotten about tryin' to stream Netflix to the TV. Yeah, I totally agree with you on choosing the hottest video and sound movies; but like you say, if the source is really good, then I can hack it, if the source is bad but the A/V is good ( as in 2012) I can really hack that.

• Moderators

Well, dtel, I see u're from South Mississippi; do ya'll actuall have prime rib and ribeyes down there? Please pardon the digression from the HT forum, it's just country boys gettin' down on the farm.

Yep sure do, I don't know where it comes from, don't care as long as it does, although not sure about the seafood lately ? Were about an hour North of New Orleans, were from N.O., not originaly from Mississippi.

Heck some of us out here in the sticks even have pretty good Internet speed, just did a speed test 16.05 Mb/s download, 2.69 Mb/s upload. and it's wireless so we can get netflix with the WII. [Y]

It's easy to get spoiled. I'm a little of a Bluray snob myself. We've started watching the first season of "Lost" on Bluray. The picture is like watching a fine 35mm photograph, only it moves and talks. We'll watch DVD's occasionally and their really pretty good when the upconversion is done in my pre-pro. It's not quite as sharp as a Bluray, but it's close.

I paid the extra few dollars a month to get all my movies from Netflix in blu-ray to be honest. Couple that with finding an amazing site to buy blu-rays (used or previously viewed I have never paid more than $12 for a movie from this site, gohastings.com) I rarely watch regular DVDs. However, I have so many standard DVDs in my collection I still watch them from time to time, and honestly with the PS3 the upconversion is pretty damned good. Obviously it's not like blu-ray but I can deal with it ok for the time being. I'm not quite a blu-ray "snob" yet [:P]

i enjoy hd netflix streaming. Blu-ray is tops by i can be satisfied with upconversion or 720p if it is an interesting source. To tell you the truth though i only seek out blu-rays with 5 star video and sound when i add movies to my que

I agree. I do the one disc at a time plan with unlimited streaming. Worth every penny of the $8.99 or so they charge me. I'd pay it if I couldn't get one out at a time to be honest. I too insist on Blu-ray for some wowing movies but for day to day movies DVD is fine with me. Blu-ray is way better but my I can live with the PQ of DVDs from my old DVD player. I have my Blu-ray (Samsung BD-P1600) for Blu-rays and Netlfix streaming, but I use my old Yamaha DVD player for DVDs since the PQ from it is better from it. It does a better job of upscaling than my BD player.

Mbr 311, have you ever gotten a disc from gohastings.com that had skips? I hate it when my Netflix discs have skips; it ruins the whole thing................

To be totally honest with you, I have bought about 15 used or previously viewed discs fro gohastings.com and I have NEVER had a single problem with any of them. No skips, nothing wrong. If you have skips I would call them up and return them. They are pretty fair about return policies. Shit I even bought a disc from them and they sent me the wrong one accidentally and I contacted them expecting to have to return the wrong disc and they said keep it and they even sent me the one I ordered and refunded the shipping. I love that site and they have excellent customer service, and I mean where else can you buy blu-ray discs for so cheap? When I got my PS3 I thought I'd be buying discs like 1 a month since they are so freakin' expensive ($29.99 for a new one) but because of gohastings.com I have been able to slowly build my library up to the point of having about 15-20 blu rays in the few months since I've bought the PS3. I haven't paid more than $12.99 for a single disc I've bought and through their constant sales I've actually bought most of my blu-rays for $5.99-$9.99 and that's for pretty new titles. I mean right now you can get Terminator:Salvation for under $12 used IIRC. I love it!

Now Netflix on the other hand, I can't count how many times I've gotten bunk discs from them. I even got a disc a few weeks ago that was completely cut in half when it came to my door. WTF? I've gotten discs that skip, just stop for no reason in the middle of the disc (get stuck and won't play), broken, etc...But I guess that goes with the territory, aka, when you're sharing discs with so many other people. At least they have a good return policy, i.e., if its defective you can report the problem and they'll send out a new disc ASAP with no questions asked. I just wonder how I get discs that are cut in half, like it must have happened during delievery I would think. If they miss something like that in their warehouse that's scary lol.

I just sold my entire DVD collection because I realized I would never watch them. My wife and I were babysitting a couple months ago and the kids picked out Jurrasic Park on standard DVD. One of my favorite DVDs was almost unwatchable now that I'm spoiled on Blu-Ray. That's when I decided to sell my DVDs.

anyone else notice how much longer it takes to get blu-rays, they announced for instance wolfman for end of this month to come out when its already been out on dvd and bluray since beginnning of june. When you put the movie in your que it shows that it comes out the 28th of june.

Unfortunately it seems that NetFlix and redbox aren't getting new movies until 4 weeks from their actual release date to buy them or rent them in an actual rental store.

Actually that's not quite 100% true. Netflix and Redbox have an agreement with Time Warner that any movies they come out with cannot be rented out by either Netflix or Redbox until they have been out for a full month. That agreement as far as I know is NOT applicable to the Blockbuster mail DVD/blu-ray program. I'm sure it was a move by Time Warner to try to drive up the sales of their titles vs. rentals which I'm sure doesn't net them nearly as much money. As far as I know, there is no other studio agreement like that in place with Netflix. Any other studio allows them to release their titles the same day they go on sale. Don't know if the Time Warner agreement is going to be a trend in the future but that's what currently exists. Hope that helps.