Center Channel Academy vs. KLF - C7

Edroom

I tried the C7 with my Fortes... it was a terrific loud, clear center channel, and I could easily imagine owning and loving it with a pair of KLF-30's.

...but it DID NOT match my Fortes; material that panned across the front soundstage, or that used both the center and one of the mains for locatable sounds did not sound right due to the different voicing between the C7 and the Klipsch "Classic" speakers.

It was not until I found an Academy until it all tied together, with a front soundstage that sounded natural and correct - there is still a slightly different sound with white noise between the Academy and my Fortes, but it does not translate negatively to voices, foley, music, or any other real-world listening I've thrown at it/them.

I can only speak for the Forte-Chorus-Quartet era speakers; I've read comments both ways regarding the Heritage speakers, with more comments about the fully-horn loaded K-Horns, LaScalas, and Belles being too much for the Academy to keep up with, but with others voicing satisfaction with the mix.

I would advise against trying the KLF-C7 with any Heritage or Classic Klipsch...

I have a 5 channel surround system set up, Klipschorns in the front, heresy's in the back and a KLF -C7 in the middle, I dont have room for anything bigger and it sits nicely in the space I have. I do not have a TV attached to this system. It seems that everything I listen too is recorded in stereo and my best sound is achieved when i go direct from the source to the 2 main speakers with the other 3 off. although the FM Radio sounds good in Dolby surround, they must broadcast it in the correct format. Am I missing something with the center channel for music or are people just talking about home theater for more than 2 speakers?

For music listening, your K-Horns by themselves, with as little sound processing as possible, are going to provide the best and most immersive music experience, IMHO. The only purpose of having surrounds for music would be to listen to DVD-Audio or Digital surround (Dolby or DTS) music recordings, which seems to be a rare set-up these days - and in which case the more similar the speakers, the better, even more so than with film material.

I've owned two Academy's and one KLF-C7 simultaneously. There's something about that KLF-C7 horn that mates very well with Heritage speakers (to my ears anyway). I sold both Academy's and still use the KLF-C7 in my main LS/CW rig.

Photo is of my first center speaker, a RC7, which I used with Cornwalls, KSW12, and DEF TECH BP2 surrounds. Really horrible now that I know better but it was loud and 5 channels. The speaker with the large horn (same as forte and many Klipsch pro btw K604) is my current KLF-C7.

M

post-10755-13819599615722_thumb.jpg

post-10755-1381961798655_thumb.jpg

The only purpose of having surrounds for music would be to listen to DVD-Audio or Digital surround (Dolby or DTS) music recordings...

Well, try mirroring your front L+R to the rear L+R when you have identical or near identical speakers F+R. Then come back and tell me it's not an incredible stereo event.

The only purpose of having surrounds for music would be to listen to DVD-Audio or Digital surround (Dolby or DTS) music recordings...

Well, try mirroring your front L+R to the rear L+R when you have identical or near identical speakers F+R. Then come back and tell me it's not an incredible stereo event.

laager is absolutely correct hear. If all your speakers are the same, it is a whole different ball of wax, it brings the vocals dead center and increases the sound stage.

Roger

Anyone with the KV3 or KV4 want to chime in here?

I currently have a KV3; and am using it in my setup.

Right now the mains are KG 5.2s, but I have used the KV3 with Heresies as well.

I think the sound now is seemless; there is something to be said for timbre matching.

I was able to get very good results with the KV3 and the Heresies by using my Onkyos built in EQ. (Each speaker is adjustible seperately).

I would like to get the KLF center and use with the Heresies; I am sure I could dial it in using the EQ if necessary.......

My .02

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting thread. I have Epic CF-2s and right now I'm using a KT-LCR as my center channel standing vertically.

But I've always wondered if a KLF-C7 might be the better choice. I'm not an audiophile per se. Or not at least compared to many that haunt these forums, but just looking the specs they seem to be a better match. My other thought is what if I just get a 3rd Epic CF-2 for my center channel? What do you guys think of that?

Anyone with the KV3 or KV4 want to chime in here?

I currently have a KV3; and am using it in my setup.

Right now the mains are KG 5.2s, but I have used the KV3 with Heresies as well.

I think the sound now is seemless; there is something to be said for timbre matching.

I was able to get very good results with the KV3 and the Heresies by using my Onkyos built in EQ. (Each speaker is adjustible seperately).

I would like to get the KLF center and use with the Heresies; I am sure I could dial it in using the EQ if necessary.......

My .02

Well, I now have a KV4.

It matches even better with my Heresies. Again; using the EQ to slightly adjust the mid-highs, I have what seems to be a very close match.

Slight difference with pink noise, but much less than before. Also, this is more efficient the the beloveds, so I have it set at -3 (99db vs 94db on the Heresies), the center channel is still there, but it blends smoothly with the main left/rights.

The KV-4 looks remarkably similar to the KLF c7; although the specs (tweeter diaphragm) are slightly different.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5 channel surround system set up, Klipschorns in the front, heresy's in the back and a KLF -C7 in the middle, I dont have room for anything bigger and it sits nicely in the space I have. I do not have a TV attached to this system. It seems that everything I listen too is recorded in stereo and my best sound is achieved when i go direct from the source to the 2 main speakers with the other 3 off. although the FM Radio sounds good in Dolby surround, they must broadcast it in the correct format. Am I missing something with the center channel for music or are people just talking about home theater for more than 2 speakers?

I listen to 7 channel stereo for both music and video. For me it is a complete room filling sound. My seating position allows me to identify each speaker individually as to its output. I prefer 7 ch to all other selection options.