K horn mods too much for other speakers

winchester21

I did the 2" trachorn- 30 pound 2240 driver- ALK universal- new Crites 125 mod on my k horns. mak no mistake - without a doubt these are giant killing world beaters for low$$$$. klipsch should have done this on their own years ago. The factroy drivers and horns pale by comparison. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this would make this much difference. Everybody who listens to this HT rig is totally blown away. The mega modded k horns paired with the RSW 15 sub are tuly awesome. But now there is a problem- In all honestly- the K horns/rsw 15 drown out the side surrounds and rears and to some degree the Lascala center.. Dont get me wrong -the setup is still unbelievable. But it is clear that the other speakers need similar treatment.

See how this addiction works?????????????????

I have made a deal on a monster set of mega modded belles with wood track horns- huge JBL drivers - Brema tweeters and ALK crossovers. They sound great with loads of highs which will be used for side surrounds driven with a B&K 4420 out board- plent of clean power-200WPC.This should fix the sides.

Now for the rest- I have a center stock Lascalla driven by a 250-300 wpc carver 3 channel outboard which does well. I also have 2 stock rear industrial lascallas driven by a 2nd B&K 4420 200 WPC out board.

What does you reccomenf to mod the lascallas up to par for this application ???? which trac horns and which x overs? I am looking for 3 large JBL drivers as we speak. As always thanks in advance- Chris

• Moderators

[:o]

It's a vicious cycle [:S]

Would doing the center the same but just adjusting the volume for the rears get you by, or is there that much difference ?

There are alot worse hobbies/addictions.

Volumes have been adjusted. The wood horns sound different. The standard horns had the same sound as the others. They matched and the mods upset the apple cart. The trachorns just move so much air and clear sound. 2nd RSW 15 and wood horns- big drivers- ALK X overs all arounfd and I am done....I think[:@]

I really thought that the other speakers would blend in- except for the sub- which loves the match- not so. I learned a lesson from this change. Never would have thought the change would have created issues with the HT setup.

I also use the modded horns for 2 ch- Nirvana- no issues.

Come over to my place and listen to my 4-way MCM and you'll quit playin with those toy speakers. With all the ridiculous money folks are spending on those Heritage upgrades, it would all stop if people got into the Cinema line. Then all the rest sound like toys.

Winch......I know what you have sounds great, no doubt...........but the big Klipsch are not that big a jump in $$$. People probably just can't deal withe size and looks. A pity.

Come over to my place and listen to my 4-way MCM and you'll quit playin with those toy speakers. With all the ridiculous money folks are spending on those Heritage upgrades, it would all stop if people got into the Cinema line. Then all the rest sound like toys.

Winch......I know what you have sounds great, no doubt...........but the big Klipsch are not that big a jump in $$$. People probably just can't deal withe size and looks. A pity.

Hush.... if you get the word out too far, they'll drive up the prices on these units we've been nabbing....[:#]

Otherwise, I've gotta say.... dead on bro.

• Moderators

People probably just can't deal withe size and looks. A pity.

[Y] I kind of got use to that " I could hurt you look" [:|] of the cinema line.......... Mark you are the one that got me hooked on B I G speakers with those two single bins, and JWC finished me off, and of course Roy D...........I could never thank all three of y'all enough. [8] [Y]

I know the latest fad of wooden tractrix and now 2" is going around like wildfire.......and it all sounds good. Heard a few of these setups myself and they do sound good. You can push them..... But they still don't approach the big sound of the BIG cinema Klipsch. They might be an improvement. God only knows the polar patterns of these horns and what people REALLY have. But nevertheless it seems to be the new money pit out there. Like I said most could probably never have the cinema line anyway due to size and looks which is a bummer because they have the biggest sound, and are engineered by Klipsch.

Mark- I totally agree with the pro series solution- 14 x 25 room- cant do it- wish I could. I could maybe at some point gowith something the size of Cigarbums DBBS but no larger- they would be almost touching.

Dont have the Belles yet- maybe 2 weeks.They have ALK jrs with JBL 4470 drivers- 1 " wood trachorns- bremas- they sound awesome

Going with trachorns and ALK universal X ovwers- big JBL drivers- maybe Bremas on the other 3 Lascalas

The 2" trachorn fad does not have to cost an arm and a leg. With a little patience and looking around the modded heritage can be done on a real low budget. I have a grand total of 2500.00 in my k horns and they really kick- Very similar to cigarbums.

Clone horns and crossovers made from parts express in many cases sound identical to the genuine article for less money.

No doubt that the pro series is better- provided you have the room for them. When I get a bigger house I will own some- for sure.

Make no mistake the trachorns are an OMG mod to the Heritage series at a modest cost if you shop smart.Murders anything short of the pro series.

An MCM-3 Grand cinema system has a K402 HF horn which is a Klipsch engineered modified Tractrix horn, and an XII midbass module which is a pure tractrix horn as well. Then of course the MWM bass cabinet which is exponential.

I defnitely like the sound of tractrix.