anyone know a cheap way to do an RTA?

alkemyst

You can do a very decent one for pretty cheap by getting hold of a PC with a decent soundcard and buying RTA software for about $100.00. Then, you will need a mic and phantom power........about another $150..........so for about $250 total if you already have the PC with the sound card. But this would be a really decent setup.

I am not sure what your ultimate goal is. My guess is that you want both to identify and also to correct some "room problems".

One strategy is to get a Behringer 2496DEQ. This will do both the measurement and the correction.

This is a two channel device that will accept a digital or analog input (best if a digital input is used). It also has decent DSP and DAC. The weak points are the analog output and the reliability. It is usable as it is; however the oputput section can be substantially improved as a DIY project for not much money. It will do the RTA (needs a Behringer ECM8000(?) mic). The unit is about $300 anf the mic is about $50.

the iPhone app RTA does not do a very good job in the LF ranges (where it is most needed for home eq purposes). I use mine to find feedback points in PA systems and it works ok for that.

Most sound guys use a program called SMAART that is pretty complex.

YES, the RTA app just posted an update which calibrates the internal mic/wind screen for the LF rolloff from 250 hz down. The RTA app on line studiosixdigital has all the info about this important update. Can't wait to get back in front of the PA and try this out.

Might REW do what you want? Can't beat the price - FREE!

I didn't see anything listed, but can this work with any laptop and just a mic or is it critical to have uber gear behind it.

I am just looking to non-critically test my vehicles and rooms for levels and see what I need to boost/cut with the parametric eqs.

I used it on a 4 or 5 year old cheap Acer Laptop and it was fine. I'm not an expert on REW, but I don't think it takes a lot of horsepower.

I found the folks on the REW forum to be very helpful (kinda like here!) if you have any difficulties. I found the initial setup and calibration a little confusing, but once I had it running it was great. Haven't tried their latest version. Also I used it for subwoofer setup and I think it's primarily designed for low end work, but don't see why it wouldn't do what you need.

Good luck.

Rod