Furniture verses Sound

davis419b

Every since I started this quest 2 1/2 years ago I have had the same furniture in my den. I had just got my system sounding very good when I finally came across a deal on on some H/T recliners that I had been looking to find for quite awhile. After changing them out I sat down for a listen and didnt like it at all. I couldnt figure out what was wrong as the soundstage was gone. I tried listening again the next day and still no soundstage. After checking all my equipment over to see if there was a problem I realized it had to be the furniture swap. Needless to say I put everything back the way it was and I was in heaven again. I never realized that furniture could be somewhat of a room treatment. I think I might have to keep the furniture set-up that I have from now on !

post-29696-13819600646874_thumb.jpg

post-29696-13819619159276_thumb.jpg

Your are right. The arrangement of your furniture, the materials in the furniture, as well as dimensions of the pieces, can all have an impact on your setup. There always seems to be a challenge, to whatever we do, to make things better for our systems. Good Luck!

• Moderators

I would guess everything in the room affects the sound, including the amount of people. Reflections from a high back leather theater seat close to your ears can change the sound, like putting your hands cupped behind your ears, compared to a nothing by your head.

I does not take much sometimes.

I would guess everything in the room affects the sound, including the amount of people. Reflections from a high back leather theater seat close to your ears can change the sound, like putting your hands cupped behind your ears, compared to a nothing by your head.

I does not take much sometimes.

It is amazing how much it changed the sound. It took a long time trying to achieve the sound only to have it taken away in minutes. Needless to say the furniture is up for sale !

It is amazing how much it changed the sound. It took a long time trying to achieve the sound only to have it taken away in minutes. Needless to say the furniture is up for sale !

You can go thru the setup process all over again to achieve that same sound with the new furniture. Isn't this a FUN hobby.... [:P]

James

Please tell us about the tubed mono blocks --"Beautiful",-- el34 ? Are those lexan bases the electronics are built into? Truly stunning-who needs furniture when you have gear (art) like that. Yes

Cornman

Thanks for asking Cornman !

These are actually Dodd Audio 120 monoblocks that I was very lucky to aquire. I have a friend who is a personal friend of Gary Dodd. About 6 years ago my friend Mark was having Gary build him a set but every time he finished a set he would sell them to a waiting customer. Mark took Gary 2 - 16" X 14' x 1/2' pieces of plexiglass and asked that he build the amps on them as he knew he wouldnt be able to sell them to the public. After Gary finished they ended up taking them on the road for demo. Mark hadnt used them in a few years so I was able to talk him out of them. They sound fantastic but I also give alot of credit for the sound to the Holfi Pre NB2 battery powered preamp that I use with them. These amps are definately for a newbie like me as you can bias them from the top with a small screwdriver and see the readings on the built in meter. After a few weeks I am going to take them back to Gary to make sure the tubes and everything is up to spec. You can click on the picture I have attached to make it larger.

post-29696-1381960066632_thumb.jpg

post-29696-13819619179794_thumb.jpg

Same thing happened to me in my Klipschorn room. Changed out some nice cloth (sound absorbing) furniture for some all leather furniture.

The K-horns became very lively & "reflective" in the room. When loaded with people (or some sound panels (Echobusters)), the legendary sound was back!

Live & learn! Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING, makes a difference... some extremely subtle, some not so...

My $0.02,

Pete

Same thing happened to me in my Klipschorn room. Changed out some nice cloth (sound absorbing) furniture for some all leather furniture.

The K-horns became very lively & "reflective" in the room. When loaded with people (or some sound panels (Echobusters)), the legendary sound was back!

Live & learn! Everything, I repeat EVERYTHING, makes a difference... some extremely subtle, some not so...

My $0.02,

Pete

So true Pete. I bought this set on Thursday and sold it today. Since I dont know anything about room treatment I figured this was the best and quickest way to get the sound back. Now I have a real good reason to keep my other furniture.

Your are right. The arrangement of your furniture, the materials in the furniture, as well as dimensions of the pieces, can all have an impact on your setup. There always seems to be a challenge, to whatever we do, to make things better for our systems. Good Luck!

+1!!!!

I could not fuguire out why my right channel (Heresy;I run them in 2 channel for music) was quieter than the left......

I added +2db in the receiver, and the next day the right channel was too loud.

(I usually listen to music for an hour or two till my SO arrives home; she does not like metal as much as I do)......

The OTTOMAN positioning was absorbing the sound of one speaker or the other. I have to center it before playing 2 channel now.....

DOH!!!!! [:D]

• Moderators

As far as people in the room, ( I was told ) 4-6 or more people is perfect, if there part of almost any Bikini team, you will not notice any imperfections in the sound while there present, it's a fact try it ! [Y]