denon or onkyo

jrgreene1968

I personally just bought curtains on sale at JC Penny that are designed to block light and reduce reflection. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they will get a big smile on their face knowing it is a HT guy thing. I'll be installing mine this weekend. Hoping for a huge improvement.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally just bought curtains on sale at JC Penny that are designed to block light and reduce reflection. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they will get a big smile on their face knowing it is a HT guy thing. I'll be installing mine this weekend. Hoping for a huge improvement.

Tim,

I would expect some improvement; but not sure if I would be expecting that much....

I hope your expectations are met......

Good Luck.....

I don't know which ones he was referring to, but I found these---------> CLICK HERE

Now that is a start, but an area rug would really help and as Ironslave mentioned, fabric wall coverings or paintings or the like will help to keep the reflections down. You can make acoutic panels also. I'll try to find the thread on making them if you want, let me know.

Dennie

The receipt shows the number as 731-6301-017302. Regular price was $40 for each panel discounted by 50% and the little LOML had an additional 15% off. Net was $17 for each panel. We need 4 to cover 120" wide window. They had at least 5 or 6 different panels that were specific to blocking light.

I hear ya loud and clear. Currently we have exactly what you don't want... A large reflective window directly across from the plasma TV. The walls are a tan color and the miniblind is gloss white. The only time you don't get a bad relection is at night time. The light blocking curtains is actually a compromise. I thought a nice coat of flat black paint on the wall would do the trick w/ a flat black sheet draped across the window. [:D] The wife didn't think it was a great idea! [:^)]

Not to throw too much of a monkey wrench in your program but Harman Kardon sounds better than both by quite a bit with Klipsch speakers IMO. I can't stand my Denon or my friends Denon compared to my Harman Kardon. His Denon is actually two levels higher than my HK too, just sounds thin and I don't know what... the HK just kicks it's butt. The HK is very warm and musical with solid bass. My Denon went to the garage to power some cheap speakers lol.

Not to throw too much of a monkey wrench in your program but Harman Kardon sounds better than both by quite a bit with Klipsch speakers IMO. I can't stand my Denon or my friends Denon compared to my Harman Kardon. His Denon is actually two levels higher than my HK too, just sounds thin and I don't know what... the HK just kicks it's butt. The HK is very warm and musical with solid bass. My Denon went to the garage to power some cheap speakers lol.

I am not discounting your experience, but comparing AVRs from different companies without specifing model numbers and declaring an overall winner with Klipsch speakers is hard to counter with a second opinion. Fwiw, I have heard that HK AVRs mate well with KIipsch, but my Denon AVRs bring sonic bliss coupled with my Klipsch Speakers. [A]

the wife is going to penneys today to check out some drapes for the french doors, gonna look for a large area rug this weekend..she loves this part lol. I did just get through hitting the buy button though on a Harmon kardon 3600, j&r had a deal i couldnt pass up. Planning on keeping the 805 though just in case. Hopefully the hk has what im looking for

HK is a good brand. ( I was very close to buying one used for a second receiver)....

I believe the Onkyo is as close to nuetral as you can get...... ( This is MY opinion only)...

To each his own; Many love Denon, many love HK, many swear this is better than that.... yadda yadda.....

What's most important is your ears and what you like.......

Hopefully you like the HK; let us know......

And let us know how the window/ floor/ frnch door treatments go!.......

I believe the Onkyo is as close to nuetral as you can get...... ( This is MY opinion only)...

Not your opinion only. I have an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver(2007) and an Onkyo A-8711 integrated(1996) and they both have a very neutral sound even though they are from different eras(decades).

"I personally think the Onkyo's are as close to neutral as you can get in a HT receiver." JMO.

Ironsave, stop stealing my quote. LOL

Bill

im not knocking the onkyo at all..im just looking for a little bit warmer soundSmile

I know. Even though I am a big Onkyo fan, the NAD/Marantz/HK warmish sound is very pleasing to the ears. I do not think that one receiver is really better than the other, they are just a little different.

Bill

im not knocking the onkyo at all..im just looking for a little bit warmer soundSmile wife got some drapes today..gonna get them hung up after supper..tracking shows the new HK will be here tuesday

TUESDAY?!?!?! Actually that's not bad. The waiting is the hardest part! [8o|]

I think it is really cool that your wife is getting involved. That's half the battle! [<:o)]

Dennie

TUESDAY?!?!?! Actually that's not bad. The waiting is the hardest part! Super Angry

Yes, it is.... waiting for my sub, then one more day because I had to sign for it was a test of patience.

I think it is really cool that your wife is getting involved. That's half the battle! Party!!!

Dennie

I agree; but I reccomend caution. I had my future Wifey drive 140 miles (each way) with me to Indiana to get our KV-4 center channel......

We made it fun, but I am sure she would have preferred to stay in bed at 7am on a Saturday. (Had to meet the seller early).

yep i thought tuesday was pretty good..shipping from new york to texasBig Smile..ahh the wife dont care, she says whatever makes me happy, but you know she probably has a shopping spree lined up, haha

That's funny! But oh so true! [:(]

Oh, don't get me wrong WAITING SUCKS!!! I just waited two months for a couple Gold CD's, I thought "What's the world coming too" I mean they are just CD's!! So, less than a week for an AVR is not bad at all! But it still SUCKS! [;)]

Dennie

...I did just get through hitting the buy button though on a Harmon kardon 3600, j&r had a deal i couldnt pass up. Planning on keeping the 805 though just in case. Hopefully the hk has what im looking for

Fwiw, I can't imagine the HK AVR-3600 being an upgrade to the Onkyo AVR-805 and imo, room treatment is where you are going to get the most benefit.