bookshelf speakers for surrounds

jrgreene1968

I don't think anyone around here knows what overkill is - there ain't such a thing!

I had Klipsch KG 3.5 surround speakers which were somewhat like the RF-62 speaker. I sold them and upgraded to Fortes to match my fronts and it was an unbelievably huge jump in sound quality, timbre match, everything. Every speaker you add to your setup is important!

well 82,s aint out of the question..i just figured it would be overkill for surround duty..i dont want to buy, then wish i would have done something different..hence the reason im asking all these dumb questionsBig Smile

I really don't think that you would be happy with the 52's, I have been down that road and it was a bit on the costly side, I started with 52's went to 62's then finally matched up my mains with the 82's. Remember I am a music guy that likes to watch his movies as well though. Just been my experience that matching mains to surrounds when using floorstanders seems to be the way to go. I did the RS-42's and sold them in three days just wasn't for me. In the end I should have listed to a couple of folks on here and went with the 82's to begin with. With the matched front and rears remember that will be 8 - 8" drivers plus your sub rockin that next explosion scene you watch. Here is what I was using across the back before I switched to Heritage, a total of 10 - 8" drivers plus my RW-12D at the time, it was very sweet. [:D]

This is just my opinion, not trying to steer you towards one thing or the other, with the Klipsch reference you really can't go wrong..

Good Luck, have fun!!

~ross

post-33870-13819600968088_thumb.jpg

post-33870-13819619520498_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

wow..250 is a steal..they are going for around 750 new for the 52,s, 1k for the 62,s

No doubt. I saw them on CL at 8pm, called the guy, left the house at 8:15pm, drove 45min and was on my way home by 9:30pm. I love Craigslist.

I listen to alot of multichannel music (converting 5.1 to 7.1) and having towers as side surrounds and mini towers in the rear is an awful lot of fun! Stick out tongue

That being said, using the same configuration for movies and having the 5.1 material being matrixed into my rear speakers for 7.1 is more preferable than having WDST speakers in the side surround position,in my HT...Then again, if one was to only run 5.1, I can see where the RS models could work better.

If you are running a THX ultra II avr or separate amplification you should have enough current to drive an all tower system...If you are running a 5.1 system and watch mostly movies you still may want to consider the RS-62s. I know you said your wife doesn't want anything on the walls but how does she feel about floor space being taken up by a couple more floorstanders? Are there any seats located outside of the line of the surrounds? If so the RS model may be more to your liking.

there is no seating in the way of floorstanders..the couch is probably 8ft away from the back wall. I did just do some measuring though..and i dont think i can make 82,s work, without them sticking out.where you walk..probably would get skinned up..She has a antique drawer type deal sitting there and 1 of the 82,s would stick out past that a couple inches..the 62,s look like they would fit perfect.. i cant really press her anymore about it..cause if she had her way, we would be using some of them perty little bose cubes[:D]

My vote still goes for a RS series speaker. I used my rf-82s for surrounds for about 2 months and although i thought they were good you can just locate them too easily, same goes for the rb-61 but the rb-61 was just a cheap alternative for me and i love them for that reason. For me though i always just do 2 channel stereo when i listen to music as i am usually up and doing something when i listen to music, i am mostly a movie guy. I only used the rs-62s for 2 movies, although they were spaced directly behind me (supposed to be placed on the sides) i just loved the wide dispersion sound. You can set the rs series on speaker stands or better yet small tables. Do it right and get the rs...you will not be dissapointed believe me they will will work out better than the rf-62s for sure.

... Do it right and get the rs...you will not be dissapointed believe me they will will work out better than the rf-62s for sure.

That's quite an opinion for someone else's home theater environment. [:|] I am not saying that you couldn't be right, but I have both RS-7s and RF-3s as surrounds and in my HT listed below I NEVER use the RS-7s.

just ordered a set of rf62,s..im sure it will be better than the polks im using now. Now my system will be all klipsch, and match, lol. Thanks for all the replies and advice. Even if the rs series was a better choice..the wife would have griped from now on. 1 thing i have found out after being married 25 yrs..if the wife aint happy, nobody is happy, lol

Thanks again

Well it is sort of klipsch's opinion for someone elses home theater environment. Wink

If you hang out here long enough you will learn there are great Klipsch people here who will give you all sorts of oppinions to consider...Fwiw I have 3 klipsch Home theaters and use the WDST technology on 2 of them (5.1 configuration) and am quite happy with them. :)

If however, it's just a never ending cycle of wanting more, wanting something better, wanting the latest/greatest, that was when we are considered to not be contempt. I'm saving for a new processor, and after puchasing I'll try my best to cool it for a while. I had the same HT setup for 6 years with no changes.

If however, it's just a never ending cycle of wanting more, wanting something better, wanting the latest/greatest, that was when we are considered to not be contempt. I'm saving for a new processor, and after puchasing I'll try my best to cool it for a while. I had the same HT setup for 6 years with no changes.

I think you posted in the wrong thread but I can dig it....I haven't felt the need to upgrade from what I have listed (except for a AVR exchange after power surge) for over 7 years. :) Btw, I think you meant content.