bose 901 VS. khorn

Rob S

how do they compare. i could get both unopened (1983) I'm partial to bose. can anyone help. i don't know much about audio. (i'm using a high end class D technics 2 ch power amp, with a memorex tupe integrated preamp.)

------------------

I like nuance...no i'm not a sales man...Ya, its even better than bowes....NO i'm not a sales man....hehehe, suckers....oops did i say that outloud?

"I'm partial to bose. can anyone help. i don't know much about audio."

AND IT SHOWS

Looks to me like you need to change your hearing aid batteries! LOL

Seriously Bose makes the very best Directly Repulsive featuring Acoustic Mess and is all about Better Sales Thru Brainwash and a boatload of adds.

Are you serious or is it April fooz day today?

The April foo aint on my back

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Khorn58,

I wouldn't brag about it, if you want to "desperately"

part with your Khorns(backwards????)kinky devil you, there are MEGA Heritage fans and Family members who would gladly take them off your hands...OHYES....

I still think thats funny....901 vs Klipschorns Smile.gif

Good 1 TE....LOL....

OK PEOPLE! THIS IS ROB S's FOURTH POST: SHOW HIM THE LIGHT!!!

I know (HOPE!) you are joking, but if you aren't, the Klipschorn's are far superior. By any taste of music, becides AM radio.

YES - KLIPSCHORNS

NO -- BOSE 901

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Heh heh

I remember playing my stereo to a "knowledgable" co-worker one Xmas party. He was truly blown away by the music and asked what kind of speakers they were (the Klipsch decal on the front grill has long since fallen off).

I explained they were Klipschorns, showed him the characteristic triangular rear designed to fit in the corner, etc.

He said "Oh, I thought they were Bose since they had the same shape."

f>

Seriously the K Horns anihalate anything Bose has or had to offer.For any music,for HT the Klipsch Horn is a classic and one of the best speakers EVER designed a true full horn design.

There a very few equals and for some aplications the K Horns are kings.

Bose,good for snooty know all who in fact know next to nothing.I am still in shock no B0$e deserves to be compared to the K Horn.Not even close.

And with proper subwoofing K-Horns will bring musicians right in your room.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 03-31-2002 at 12:38 PM

Lucky You. Khorns new!

The two are apples and oranges. Not only are you comparing the sound of cones to horns, but you are also comparing a direct device to one that reflects sound off the corners of the room. Bose always does a technologically good job of reproducing most of the music spectrum with a small enclosure. Their Jewel cubes capture something like 315 to 8 kHz within about 4 dB in my living room. Because of their size, they are very popular with boaters.

I first heard the Bose 901 from outside a bedroom window. After introducing myself to my neighbor, the friend that I made remains the best one I've had for over 25 years. He was listening to classical music and continues to prefer it to this day. The 901s cast a huge soundstage in his little room, but I can not say they were any better than the smooth sounding Advent cones that his sister had next door. Back then, I knew nothing of texture, tone or imaging.

Try to compare them with CDs that have separate tracks for single instruments. Drums, cymbals, chimes, piano, horns, bass guitar and vocal solos would be perfect. High quality or Test CDs, like the ones from Chesky or DMP, which have separate tracks or brief solos of individual instruments are especially good. Make sure to include an especially wonderful vocal track too. The Diana Krall sessions, with her lips so close to the mike, a thumping double string bass and a tinkling piano are excellent for this experiment.

Close your eyes and listen to the cymbals; do they sizzle when stroked? Do they crash when whacked? Listen to the drums. Do they snap when hit, do they thump when kicked? Does the bass sound low and full, does it sound warm? Do the horns blare and blat like real horns? Or the piano can you hear the keys clack or strike the strings? Does it ring or resonant? Finally, play the vocal track. How does her voice sound - is it delicious?

IS IT REAL?

The technics amp will have to go eventually if you go Khorn, musicians use tubes for their guitar power amps, the flea powered amp and big old horn combination is a wonderful classic made fresh again by SS powered sub-woofers and new designs in tube amps, the Khorn is a better match for the tube pre-amp ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

i just think you are partial to Bose because you haven't heard K-horns yet Smile.gif

The 901 is the only speaker Bose makes that is even remotely listenable. It's produces a nifty effect.

The 901 needs a good equalizer. There are no highs at all. You will also need a good sub, because there is little output below 50Hz.

With a good equalizer and subwoofer, the 901 would do pretty good I think.

The downside with the 901 is that since all the drivers are full range - intermodulation distortion is very high at realistic sound pressure levels.

The Klipschorns would terribly embarrass the 901's in clarity, dynamics, realism, total output -- and all this, with very low levels of distortion.

Colin is right -- it is apples and oranges here. Also, keep in mind that you are comparing a $1500 pair of speakers to a $6000 pair of speakers.

If you want 80% of what the K-horn gives you at 1/3 of the price -- get some Klipsch RF7's.

------------------

dean

If this is a serious post, and I'm having a hard time believing it is, you should carefully listen to both pair of speakers. If the 901's sound better than the Khorns to your ears, buy them.

I've done plenty of listening to Khorns and 901's. My personal opinion is Khorns and 901's are not even in the same league. It's like comparing a Ferrari F55 to a Pontiac Grand Am (BTW, the Khorn is NOT the Pontiac in the forementioned analogy).

Again, let your own ears be the judge.

Warmest regards,

Andy

Wouldn't a Blose comparison be more appropriate on the SounDesign or Emerson forum? Under the topic of how to market a cheap pressed-wood box full of itty-bitty limited range drivers as "audiophool" speakers. The number one choice of octogenarians and tinnitus sufferers! Yeah, baby, yeah!

OBSERVATTION:

Rob S. has NOT made an appearence. I think he is just watching the show and laughing his *** off.

If you are reading this, respond and say somthing to the ~20 people who responded, give us some more input, were here to help, and have fun. Join the party Smile.gif.

ANYONE AGREE?

------------------------------------

P.S. - Who could get "unopened" 1983 Bose speakers? Thats almost 20 years old, hmmmmmmm?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I just got to my computer and i was shocked by the number of replys. the reason the box is unopened is because my friend is a finatic who has all sorts of unopened things. I can't listen to the two to compare them because he won't let me open them unless i buy them. I still can't decide which to buy. also, why do you think i'm joking?

------------------

I like nuance...no i'm not a sales man...Ya, its even better than bloze....NO i'm not a sales man....hehehe, suckers....oops did i say that outloud?

TO ALL KLIPSCHERS Rob S is a *uance sales rep!

"I like nuance...no i'm not a sales man...Ya, its even better than bloze....NO i'm not a sales man....hehehe, suckers....oops did i say that outloud?"

*uance is plain and utter garbage much like B0$e its better sales thru brainwash and buyer ignorance.

Klipschers you've been warned Rob S is from Grand Prarie Alberta Canada kingdom of *uance!

Frown.gif Dam *uance tarnishes Canadian reputation and B0$e American reputation!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

cwm8.gif*uance(* is an N!)

HA....Nuance, that is more funny than Blose. They don't sell well in Edmonton, everywhere else they do...UGH...

The US is smart enough to close the door on theses puppies.

You own Nuance, you own CRAP Smile.gif

The RF3II kicks the ?! outta them.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 03-31-2002 at 11:26 PM