1957 shorthorns project

funkyhambone

• 9 months later...

Wow what a cool set up, I have always wanted a model t to add to my 59 Cornwalls.

To bad you had to finsh the Model t as they are quite rare.

reminds me of when i refinshed my 50's strat and knock 75% of it's value off.

It loiked beter to me at the time until I later learned to love the Patena look.

anyway nice looking set.

I replaced the 15wks in my Shorthorns with a pair of Altec 515s. Not a happy combination. First I had to put extra gaskets on the woofers so the cones wouldn't slap against the front of the cabinets. Then I discovered that a 16 ohm Altec may lose a bit of output against a 3.5 ohm EV. If you turned the bass up enough, the Altecs sounded ok, and would go quite deep.

It's been a while since I've heard Trusonics in Shorthorns, but as I recall, they were magnificent, in a huge room with a vaulted ceiling.

Right now, I've got a pair of 15WKs in my Shorthorns, painted grey crackle, badged Klipsch with "PWK" on the dustcaps and with a phenolic (orange) surround. They sound great and go plenty deep - probably my favorite speakers in these cabinets.

• 2 months later...

finally, i have my setup complete. i struggled finding corner shelves that were strong enough. then i had a four shelf setup that didn't allow enough space for the tube heat. i ended up having a carpenter who had done some work for me in the past build a custom corner shelf. i have a corner sectional caddy corner from the tv. one model s shorthorn to the left corner and one on the right corner. i am going to have to replace the sectional because one side has an arm rest that blocks sound, but i have seen them without rests so that will make it perfect.

post-18625-13819667349728_thumb.jpg

I assume the 15WK is in the lower cabinet -- how is it loaded? Still a back-loaded horn, bass reflex?

It's been a very long time since I heard an S-Shorthorn (I had a T), but my sense is the Shorthorn and 15WK are made for each other.

Or is that lower cab a T or replica?