PS-3 and Netfix problem

USNRET

I have a 60 gb PS-3 with 4 USB ports and is PS-2 backwards compatible (that's the best way I know to describe the model). It plays all discs that I try EXCEPT for Netfix. The new Netflix disc will play for 1 to 2 weeks and then not read. I have been thru 4 discs, each new one will work for a couple of weeks. Netflix and Sony have exhausted troubleshooting. Any thoughts?

I hate to spend the 150-200 Sony wants to 'repair' since it works on all games, DVDs and BluRays. Two questions; what's it worth in this condition and what model to replace it with? I get too confused with models. Sony tech tonight says all current models are the same except for hard drive capacity. True?

I use my Oppo for BD and PS-3 is used for Netflix and the few games my son plays on it (no PS-2 games). Wish the Oppo did Netflix.

From what i understand ps3 are no longer backward compatible. Technology cost too much and sony need a way to drop price to compete with other systems. Backwards combatible was their big selling point but i am pretty sure they dont do that anymore. And yours is worth alot of money... Check out ebay on backward compatible models, sell it if you dont use the feature and get a new one that will play your netflix disc and put some cash in your pocket!

• Moderators

Don't the old 60 gig models also play SACD?

Not all of them. Certain serial numbers did. Mine does not play SACD but I don't use them so it wasn't a problem for me. When I bought mine, I found a chart online that showed which serial numbers had what features. Google it and you can probably find it easily.

I bought my PS3 60 gig from a forum member about a year ago for $400 and it came with 10 blurays and a 40ft HDMI cable. At the time, that was a good deal.

All 20GB, 60GB and two different 80GB (Motorstorm Pack Edition and Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack Edition) PS3's play SACD's.The SACD supported model numbers are CECHB01 (20GB), CECHA01 (60GB), CECHE01 (80GB). One way to determine if your PS3 will play SACD's, if you don't want to turn your unit around to read the model number, is to see if your unit has 4 USB connections on the front. If so, then yes your PS3 will play SACD's. You have to have your PS3 connected to your AVR with an HDMI cable in order to listen to SACD's in 5.1. If you have your PS3 and AVR connected with an optical cable then 2.0 is all that you'll be able to output to your AVR.

All 20GB, 60GB and two different 80GB (Motorstorm Pack Edition and Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack Edition) PS3's play SACD's.

Oh, very interesting! I have the Metal Gear Solid 4 edition myself, with the 4 USBs on the front. I'll have to go pick up an SACD and try it out.

And the sad thing is? I've not even put the Metal Gear Solid 4 game in the thing yet (I think it is still in the shrink wrap). I got too hung up on playing CoD 4 and then Red Faction : Guarilla, and now Final Fantasy 13 and Red Dead Redemption to even got around to trying the Metal Gear Solid game.

To the original poster - you say all other disks, such as games and movies work in your PS/3 but not the Netflix disk? Have you tried making sure the disk itself did not get smudged up or dusty? I would try just giving the disk a good cleaning before going something drastic as swaping out the PS/3 itself.

Not
all of them. Certain serial numbers did. Mine does not play SACD but I
don't use them so it wasn't a problem for me.

v8peters is right: If you've got a 60GB PS3 it should play SACD. If there's an issue with it you may want to check the troubleshooting guide of the PS3 SACD FAQ: http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc177216818

o the original poster - you say all other disks, such as games and movies work in your PS/3 but not the Netflix disk? Have you tried making sure the disk itself did not get smudged up or dusty? I would try just giving the disk a good cleaning before going something drastic as swaping out the PS/3 itself.

This happens with only Netflix and the discs are pristine. I get new disc and it works for a couple of weeks then fails to read. I can pop that out and the console will play all other discs except Netflix. Netflix says something to the effect of incompatible Java and Sony shrugs their shoulders.

Confused What does backwards compatible mean?

Having the ability to play PS-2 games. "Backwards (from PS-3) compatible to PS-2. Lot of people owned a bunch of PS-2 games and when th e-3 came out Sony made a few consoles that would play -2 so people couldn't use that as an excuse not to buy the -3.

• Moderators

Not
all of them. Certain serial numbers did. Mine does not play SACD but I
don't use them so it wasn't a problem for me.

v8peters is right: If you've got a 60GB PS3 it should play SACD. If there's an issue with it you may want to check the troubleshooting guide of the PS3 SACD FAQ: http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc177216818

Sorry guys, I was incorrect. My brain was thinking I had a 60 gig. I have an 80 gig and it is the model that does not support SACD and has two USB ports on front.

Here is a chart that might help. Link

o the original poster - you say all other disks, such as games and movies work in your PS/3 but not the Netflix disk? Have you tried making sure the disk itself did not get smudged up or dusty? I would try just giving the disk a good cleaning before going something drastic as swaping out the PS/3 itself.

This happens with only Netflix and the discs are pristine. I get new disc and it works for a couple of weeks then fails to read. I can pop that out and the console will play all other discs except Netflix. Netflix says something to the effect of incompatible Java and Sony shrugs their shoulders.

I guess the only other thing I can think of is that you have the latest firmware upgrades on your PS/3? If it is indeed a Java incompatibility, than that is a software issue. Beyond that, either Netflix or Sony are talking out of thier asses.

Is it displaying an error message? If so, what does it say? You could try "googling" the error message and see what comes up.

Sorry guys, I was incorrect. My brain was thinking I had a 60 gig. I have an 80 gig and it is the model that does not support SACD and has two USB ports on front.

Here is a chart that might help. Link

That chart confirms it for me! It seems that if you have 4 USB ports on the front of your unit, than you have an SACD capable model. Mine has the 4 USB ports. [H] Geez! And to think, I had an SACD player all this time and never even realized it! I'll have to search out some SACDs to give it a try. Unfortnatly, do not really see anything in the "popular music" that I really care for on SACD, except maybe the Pink Floyd albums. However, do see plenty of excellent looking classical selections that I'll have to check out. I recall an excellent rendition of Holst The Planets on SACD.