Jubilee clone bottoms with Altec 511B/808-8B combo

kwingylee

My frankenstein Jubilee clones are up and running. The results exceed my expectations so far.

Here is my interim system:

ssctrojan1980 built rosewood Jubilee clones upgraded with JPS wires and WBT like terminals.

Altec lansing 511B horns with 808-8B drivers (picked these up on Friday). The 808-8B is the pro version of the 802G used in M19s and can handle more power.

EV DX38 electronic XO. This is a very nice unit but a little hissy. I plan to get a PC cable and do some firmware upgrades so I can use RACE. But one thing at a time.

I used the DX38 file coytee sent me last year and equalized the Jub bottom as recommended. I also delayed the Hi frequency output by 2292uS. The Hi frequency cssover point is set to 660Hz as oppsoed to 380Hz. I don't feel comfortable with crossing the 808s so low. The general recommendations for the 808 XO is around 800Hz....

I went to the lansingheritage website and found as many unequalized 511B/802G and 811B/802G curves as I can. I then used the 4 band parametric equalizers to TRY to flat the curve. This is a work in progress. There are a lot of curves, I used them to determine a general trend and trust my ears. I used mail and female vocals to voice the settings.

I am running a fully balanced system except for the horns, which is temporarily using a Parasound 1000A amp. This will hopefully be replaced by another Plinius amp soon so I can be 100% balance. My trusty CJ MV50 is another option.

The sound is outstanding!!!! I can definitely live with this for awhile. Very little horn shout and the dynamics is something. I can attest that the Jub bottoms have much more slam than the enveloping type of Khorn bass.

Suggestions are welcome...I am a happy man. I might even entertain selling off my 1977 walnut khorns .......:)

The sound is outstanding!!!! I can definitely live with this for awhile. Very little horn shout and the dynamics is something. I can attest that the Jub bottoms have much more slam than the enveloping type of Khorn bass.

Sharing our dirty little secret are ya?

[Y]

I agree with the "where the heck are the pictures, dude?" comments [:D]

James and SWL:

I lost my camera (again),,,that is why no pictures. I am shopping for a new (and good) one. The speakers look like Darth Vader.

Why so long? Space. The clones have been sitting in my friend's basement since August 29, 2009. They went into my listening room the day AFTER my wife went on vacation. Although I did not plan this, I got them running this weekend, exactly one year after I got them.

Having people over will be tough. My room is very small (but well treated) and cannot have more than 3 people in there at a time. I do not have a humonguous place like Steve...

My first guest is going to be Tom Brennan....who is coming over this Saturday and give me his opinion.

Why so long? Space. The clones have been sitting in my friend's basement since August 29, 2009.

I was just messing with you. I remember you mentioned the space issue at Steve's place.

Have a great time and I know you will/are enjoying them.

James

ps, you might want to turn it up a little, I can't hear it yet.... [:P]

My first guest is going to be Tom Brennan....who is coming over this Saturday and give me his opinion.

Perhaps if you have a twisted sense of humor, you might first hand Tom some Skil-brand over ear, muffs to protect his hearing.

[6]

Coytee:

Tom and another gentleman from the Chicago Horn Club stopped by last night and gave my system a listen.

I wasn't playing anything bombastic or particular loud. I think they like it. I need to do a tad more on the 511B/808-8B equalization to bring the vocals back a bit. Otherwise the system sounded pretty smooth and balance. I am looking for some FR curves on the 808-8B/511B combo so I can dial in the equalization better.

We had just heard SoundLab A3s with Atmasphere amps and some very nice front end equipment. So our ears were tuned up. Everyone prefer my setup...I take it as a real complement.

The system I demo'ed was biamp with a CJ MV50 on the top and Plinius SA250 MK4 amp on the bottom. The system is connected balance except for the tophat.

I would eventually like to go passive. Don't really cared for the additional back ground hiss. There are plenty of 511B/802-8G compensation circuits out there but the crossover is typically set to 1.2KHz. I have some work to do.

The consensus was that I don't need a 2" throat or TAD drivers. The system just needs to be tweaked slightly.

BTW, I am trying to hook up the DX38 to my laptop. I am using a USB<>RS232 converter. I am having difficulties getting the 2 to talk. What do you have your COM settings set to and what kind of cable do you use?

Mark:

I have signal generator, cheap RS SPL meter, a scope and an assortment of power supplies but

I do not have any test equipment to do this easily. If someone around Chicago have such devices, they can come and help me out. I am shooting not completely in the dark but definitely sight impaired.

I do like what I hear and I have my Harbeth M40s as my reference for what a speaker with flat response should sound like.

kwingylee

I would eventually like to go passive. Don't really cared for the additional back ground hiss

Just so you know... I've got two Crown K2's that I'm using with my Dx. Some might tell you that I've got a full blown PA system and that's ok. Bottom line is, I can turn the gains down on the K2's to roughly 50% and by doing so, have zero, none, nada discernable hiss coming from the speakers. If your HF amp has RCA inputs, you might do the thing Mike talked to me about once. I believe you take a RCA wire and strip the ends a bit to ground them together and then put that grounded plug on the input of your HF amp. This will zero out everything and any noise/hiss that you might hear will be the inherent noise/hiss from that amp and unless something is wrong with the amp, the noise/hiss you are married to.

At least, I think that was what/how he said to do it.

You don't have to have any hiss in your HF horns unless there is something different about them verses the K402 that I'm unaware of.

You can also turn down the outputs of the Dx38 to lower its output hiss too. The only downside is that it gets harder to balance all 4 outputs together, and even a couple tenths of a dB over such a wide bandwidth can sometimes be audible. Whereabouts in Chicago are you located? I've got a calibrated measurement rig now and could help ya out with your USB adaptor....Steve Kovats also has a Dx38 that I modded to have less hiss too. Although, the Dx38 is using gain ranging to improve dynamic range, which can inject other artifacts at elevated SPLs....

Richard, Mike:

I was able to talk to the DX38 using a straight DB9 cable and upgraded the firmware to 3.21. Still trying to get it to work using my laptop and a USB/RS232 converter, It fails to download the parameters from the DX38.IT would start but would not complete (usually stuck at 64%) and complainted about communications error...

I do notice that the hiss level decreases when I turned down the input level. So I am staying this way for awhile.

Mike, I am near downtown Chicago. You are quite far from me but you are welcome to come over anytime.

You can also turn down the outputs of the Dx38 to lower its output hiss too. The only downside is that it gets harder to balance all 4 outputs together, and even a couple tenths of a dB over such a wide bandwidth can sometimes be audible. Whereabouts in Chicago are you located? I've got a calibrated measurement rig now and could help ya out with your USB adaptor....Steve Kovats also has a Dx38 that I modded to have less hiss too. Although, the Dx38 is using gain ranging to improve dynamic range, which can inject other artifacts at elevated SPLs....

Mike, What kind of mods ?

• 3 weeks later...

Some pictures finally. I have the system pretty much dialed in - and they sound FANTASTIC!!!

I found that (like many others) damping the body and lips of the horns with playdol pretty much eliminates the ringing. I am very happy with the sound. Ultimately, I want to go 2 WAY passive with a 2" driver and take out the extra amp and digital XO:

post-36746-13819616896644_thumb.jpg

post-36746-13819620882314_thumb.jpg

One more close up of the right speaker. Noticed the playdol and the Klipsch logo I got from Michael Colter nearly a year ago. They look great together.

Some of the changes I made to ssctrojan1980's clone was to add heavy duty speaker posts. This causes the horns to tilt down slightly.

post-36746-13819616897484_thumb.jpg

post-36746-13819620882664_thumb.jpg