Solo or twin subs that is the ???

joessportster

I've decided to do twins (not yours Thebes :) ) but edgarhorn siesmics, 2 refridgerators setting in my basement for a total of 36" of cones moving all the air below 60 hz. I decided to try twins because it is said 2 will actually smooth out the bass and allow for more definition with better imaging. I pick the 2nd sub up tomarrow and will report findings (this should be fun all except moving the 350 pound beast). Joe

I did "twins" in my HT installation....two JBL 4638 low frequency reinforcement cabinets (two 15" woofers each cab). I did it for no other reason than the fact I got these very cheap.....under $450 for both cabs from the JBL "tent sale" (listed for $1200 each). But I figured that placing each cab in the corners behind the two mains would give a more effortless presentation (by spreading the sound over two cabs vs. one - less cone motion) plus if there were any hints or smidge of midrange that bled into the woofers it would keep me from sonically "localizing" or noticing where those artifacts were coming from.

I did use EQ to tame thier (and the room's) excesses, but once tweaked became a wonderful, high performance solution for my HT.....truly one of the best deals and choices I could have made for my HT.

I had two SVS CS-Ultras in my small basement theater for a while until I decided to sell one of the subs to help fund my new TV purchase. Having two subs set up correctly definitely smoothed out the bass response in my room. Now with one sub I don't necessarily feel I have less overall SPL but you can tell as you walk around the room and the house that the bass isn't distributed as evenly.

When it comes to subs, I think twins are, if not the only way to roll, certainly a good way. You get more output, lower distortion, and if set up right, you can sometimes get smoother response. Or at least, that's been my experience. It can be a bit of a pain setting up two, though. Unless you're the type of demented individual (audiophile!) who enjoys such things. I'd say setting up two is about four times harder than setting up one.

I use twins in my 2 Ch system. But in a HT I would just use 1 since there is only a single sub output genrerally in all those digital HT codecs. In my 2 Ch setup I am using a left and right with actual left and right signal to each sub. So they are in stereo.