Help get me connected please

dtel

• Moderators

I want to connect a BD player and don't understand the best way.

My TV has HDMI, so I was just going to use that connection for the best pic.

My receiver does not have HDMI, but the BD player has 7.1 analog audio outputs.

Would the best audio connection be Optical or analog outputs ?

My receiver does have DTS, but does not have DTS True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

I know, but a new receiver is not happening right now so how do I get the best sound ?

• Moderators

My TV has HDMI, so I was just going to use that connection for the best pic.

Correct

Best audio would be analog outputs since it can carry the new HD Audio formats. Your BD player does the decoding and sends the signals to your Receiver. The highest codec that Optical or Digital Coax can carry is Dolby Digital and the Standard DTS.

My receiver does have DTS, but does not have DTS True HD or DTS HD Master Audio.

Not a problem if you use your analog outputs.

I know, but a new receiver is not happening right now so how do I get the best sound ?

Good news is you don't have to buy a new one. [:D] You can pick up 6 RCA cables at monoprice.com cheap if you don't already have some.

here is what i did, i connected my bluray to my tv and used the tv's optical out to send the audio to my receiver and the receiver just powered the speakers. i didnt have any hdmi on my receiver and this way worked out pretty well, i had everything connected through my tv. Composite and hdmi yield similar results but HDMI is hands down better. Also, optical is hands down the best way to transmit audio IMO, it cannot be affected by electromagentic interference of any kind, only thing that can hurt the quality of sound is a shoddy optical wire or you have a serioues bend in the wire.

Dtel,

To take advantage of the new Bluray HD audio codecs(Dolby True HD and DTS MA) the 5.1 analog inputs(your receiver has 6.1) are your only option. This thread and additional link will help explain things.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/139071.aspx

Bill

• Moderators

Thanks alot, I don't have the BD player here yet but it should only be here in a few days.

Yes the receiver has 6.1 audio inputs I had it connected to my (now dead ) DVD player for SACD and DVD A, along with an optical connection.

I while back I did order 6 new analog cables from Monoprice with a 12' high speed HDMI cable to reach the TV, they all look well made for how cheap they were compared to what I had seen locally.

I didn't know you could even use the new codecs formats if your receiver didn't have that also.

The TV is a 65" Toshiba that is 1080i, when setting up the BD player should I set it to 1080l or 1080p ? From what I read the difference between the two is the i is for interlaced and the p is progressive scan.

One other question I have no clue about, and the TV manual say nothing helpful, should the TV be set on "film" or "video". I have no clue and I don't see a difference but it may make a difference with BD ?

Thanks I had no idea, but when my DVD player died I thought it was a good time for BD which I had been putting off.

I am going to try the Samsung BD-C6500 which has built in wireless lan, and we do have a good wireless here so hopefully I can use the internet radio stations and netflix. My grandson uses his PS3 and can watch the movies with no problems with the wireless.

only issues i had with monoprice rca's was that they werent shielded and i was getting interference between my processor and amp, otherwise i have been happy with all my monprice hdmi cords and ethernet cords. Set you player to 1080i since your tv cant interpret a 1080p signal.

• Moderators

I have been lucky with interference, I also have separate a 2 CH setup on the same shelf. Almost all the connections for the 2CH is shielded XLR connections, that may have helped.

SubX, how do you like your UMC-1, that and there amps would be what I had wanted if I were to switch...............eventialy.

• Moderators

One other question I have no clue about, and the TV manual say nothing helpful, should the TV be set on "film" or "video". I have no clue and I don't see a difference but it may make a difference with BD ?

My guess is that these are color presets for your TV, just like my projector has Dynamic, Color1, Color2 etc) that give different "looks".

My guess is that these are color presets for your TV, just like my projector has Dynamic, Color1, Color2 etc) that give different "looks".

Actually Film and Video settings will tell the TV how to process the frames per second that its being fed.

As far as the 1080i versus 1080p, if your TV is rated at 1080i it will not display anything if you try and feed it a 1080p signal so you definitely want to use the 1080i setting on the Blu-Ray player.

• Moderators

I am going to try the Samsung BD-C6500....

What brought you to that specific player, dtel? I'm thinking about buying a newer bluray to also take advantage of wireless fun. It looks like a very nice unit, but there are so many out there.

There is alot of different players out there. I decided I wanted the wireless for sure, I then started reading every review I could find, even reviews from people who bought them.

The only negative thing I could find was the previous model before this one had some reliability issues, but not this model. Also it is not the fastest to load, but to me 15 seconds is no big deal if thats the only problem.

The reviews said the picture quality was very good and the wireless was also good. The prices I have found was from on sale $195 at One Call, now at $224 to the full regular price of $249 like at BB.

It's just a shot in the dark, you never really know, at least I did all I could to check it out.

Dang, dtel, you're passing me up! My "home theater" set-up is ca. ~1998: a 32" JVC CRT, a Denon AVR-3300 (5.1), and a Panasonic DVD player. I've been wanting to get current, but don't have a burning desire (which is good for the wallet). When I DO jump, I'm thinking I'll go with the Oppo BDP, and a LCD or LED monitor, in the 40-50" range, maybe a Sony. Problem is, they keep coming out with better TVs, almost weekly!

I am going to try the Samsung BD-C6500....

What brought you to that specific player, dtel? I'm thinking about buying a newer bluray to also take advantage of wireless fun. It looks like a very nice unit, but there are so many out there.

There is alot of different players out there. I decided I wanted the wireless for sure, I then started reading every review I could find, even reviews from people who bought them.

The only negative thing I could find was the previous model before this one had some reliability issues, but not this model. Also it is not the fastest to load, but to me 15 seconds is no big deal if thats the only problem.

The reviews said the picture quality was very good and the wireless was also good. The prices I have found was from on sale $195 at One Call, now at $224 to the full regular price of $249 like at BB.

It's just a shot in the dark, you never really know, at least I did all I could to check it out.

Shot in the dark is so true. I've purchased stuff in the past and, after using it hands on, had it go both ways. I'll look at this unit and other competitors.

• Moderators

Dang, dtel, you're passing me up! My "home theater" set-up is ca. ~1998: a 32" JVC CRT, a Denon AVR-3300 (5.1), and a Panasonic DVD player. I've been wanting to get current, but don't have a burning desire (which is good for the wallet). When I DO jump, I'm thinking I'll go with the Oppo BDP, and a LCD or LED monitor, in the 40-50" range, maybe a Sony. Problem is, they keep coming out with better TVs, almost weekly!

Ours is a CRT also and it's over 5 years old, we got it just as they were doing away with the CRT projection models for a really good price. They say they have a long life and it was rated for 1080i and the picture looks good. it's almost 300 pounds and big, but it's in a big room so it's fine. This TV replaced a JVC 32", it's still working fine, Christy will not be happy if it outlast the newer one.

My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V730, it's over 5 years old, the speakers are all Forte's from 1989 with a diy sub. The DVD player was a pioneer universal player and it just died after about 4 years, a month earlier I removed the top thinking it would be dusty, it was not but I blew it out anyway with canned air.......I may have killed it ? [:|]

I wish OPPO did make there BD players with the contraption that picks up wireless internet, they were my first choice.

One good thing is the prices of new TV's keep going down, a few years ago a 50" was a few thousand, much less now and the quality keeps going up.