Which Klipsch Speakers Do I Want ?

RPMMotorsports

You don't have to limit yourself to Klipsch. A perfect bedroom speaker is the 4.5s fromTekton Design. You can order a new pair for $300 in basic black. Or in a fancier veneer for a few bucks more. I got mine in Bubinga Wood Burl for $500. They are single drivers and are just stunning in sound. And best of all they have a 30 day return policy, so that you can try them out in your home and if you don't like them, you can get a refund.

Posted Image

Here are mine in front of my Khorn Bass Bins

Posted Image

Another Okie here. I assume you look at CL and Ebay for Dallas and Wichita as well. Also, with (some) Klipsch being in Arkansas, it seems like a disproportionate number of sales there. In the past 10 years, have traveled to Conway and Little Rock in AR, to Jackson Tennessee (overnight), to Dallas, Temple, and Austin (overnight) in TX, to pick up various speakers, most of which I still have.

Also, this forum being like a "family" (most of the time), it is not unheard of for a local member to inspect, pick up, and temporarily store speakers (usually Ebay sales) for another member, who then travels to get them when convenient.

Interesting Cut-Throat but have you tried playing those wee little speakers WITHOUT being backed up with the Khorns? Just kidding!WinkStick out tongue

Yes, I have played them in my main listening room with my low power 45 amps and they work surprising well. Mostly I listen to Jazz Music at lower volumes (Upper 80 db peaks) --- but they are very satisfying.

Once, I was waiting for a gasket for one of my Altec Horns on my Khorn Bass Bins to be shipped to me, and I hooked up one of the Tekton Design 4.5s with an Altec/Khorn on the othe side. I listened to this combo for a few evenings and would forget that I did not have a Big speaker on one of the Channels. These little 4.5s from are that good. I seem to get about 90% of what my Khorn/Altec speakers produce.

It was forum member Mark Deneen of Juicy Music that turned me on to these gems.

I noticed your comment on bass response suffering with old capacitors. I must say, my LaScalas are one of the weakest bass speakers I've ever owned. Is it likely due to the 30 year old crossovers?

Many would tell you yes. I have always felt LaScalas excelled in what I call mid bass punch. I have never ever accused them of having deep bass. Growing up, (I bought my LaScalas at age 19, 31 years ago) I also owned some EV's that filled in for the deep bass and the LaScalas were used to punch you in the chest.

They SHOULD punch you in the chest if you have sufficient solid state connected to them. If your crossovers are 30 years old... you could redo them, you could loosen the screws and retighten them (some say this helps at times). I have already sold my spare ES crossover or I could have sent it to you for a trial. I DO have an extra active crossover laying around if you'd like to triamp a single LaScala.

(public question for you)

Could you simply bypass the crossover and feed the woofer a straight signal? I would think this couldn't hurt the woofer and would remove the crossover from its path. Seems to me if you get an increase in woofage then maybe the crossover is diluting the sound?

Interesting Cut-Throat but have you tried playing those wee little speakers WITHOUT being backed up with the Khorns? Just kidding!WinkStick out tongue

Yes, I have played them in my main listening room with my low power 45 amps and they work surprising well.

45 amps is low power for you? That's like three circuit breakers! [6]

Once, I was waiting for a gasket for one of my Altec Horns on my Khorn Bass Bins to be shipped to me, and I hooked up one of the Tekton Design 4.5s with an Altec/Khorn on the othe side. I listened to this combo for a few evenings and would forget that I did not have a Big speaker on one of the Channels.

I assume you have a balance knob! [;)]

Picked up some speakers today. They were so silly cheap, I couldn't pass them up. Not exactly what I was looking for but I'll use them for something. These probably won't make the bedroom, probably will make the garage system though. I picked up 4 Heresy II SR-TH-2's for $50 each. These are the 2-way Heresy's, black cabinet design for Movie Theaters. Anyone have any experience with them?

Impedence Question:

I took a pair of the Heresy II SR-TH-2's up to my business and put them in my Panasonic Home Theater System there. That system was their top of the line system a few years ago (HT940, 1200W total) but really never sounded that great. It has 2 main speakers, a center, 2 surrounds and a subwoofer. The stock system, like many systems like this, produces good sound at certain frequencies but together as whole package just doesn't come together to give a nice full range balanced sound. It's OK for TV but pretty annoying when listening to music which is what it does 95% of the time.

So anyway, I replaced the 2 little surround speakers with the Heresy II's. OMG ! what a difference. The system finally came together and sounds good. I was worried about the Heresy II's outpowering the 2 tall thin main speakers but they really don't. They are a little louder but not bad. It works well.

I pulled the Panasonic documentation out and started looking at the specifications:

Front Ch: 190W, 8 ohms

Surround Ch: 90W, 4 ohms

Center Ch: 320W, 4 ohms

Subwoofer Ch: 320W, 4 ohms.

Strange mixture of 8 ohm/4 ohms in one set.

I am now running the 8 ohm Heresy II's through the 4 ohm Surround Chanel. Is this a problem? From my understanding, you don't want to do the opposite and this should be OK. Is that right ?