Chicago Gathering - Friday October 8th, 2010 - 6pm

DrWho

I finished testing my tubes and fortuneately the least expensive tube (rectifier tube GZ34) failed the grid leakage test.

Any idea what may have caused it to blow? Just freak coincidence? I was really looking forward to listening to those bookshelves on your toobs...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost I would like to thank Mike for his hospitality and open invitation. I wish I could have stayed MUCH, MUCH longer, but unfortunately I had a commitment to Chris to get him back to his automobile, back at my work place. Those Sam Adams were going down oh so good and the music was starting to get tuned in. I think hooking up Matt's Emotiva sub with the pro Cornwalls really made the sound come alive. One thing I should say is we needed a few more, how can I say this, maturing adults. Oh well, I guess I am young at heart anyway. Great meeting everyone, had a very good time, let's do it again soon.

Cliff

Any idea what may have caused it to blow? Just freak coincidence? I was really looking forward to listening to those bookshelves on your toobs...

When I got home I realized that the audio feed was intended to be sent to my amp however in my mind I thought it was a millivolt signal so I had it feeding my pre-amp so I believe that I was feeding too much signal to the amp.

When I get my Dynaco back up you are welcome to stop by and give my bi-amped Forte's a listen. I plan on a Chicago gathering in the future, I have a charcoal smoker and a decent rib rub receipe that goes well with a few beers.

In the center of this pic, is that a Crites SC-1 someone made/put together?

That's an Acoustic Elegance TD15M woofer in a 3cu ft sealed box with the HF horn from the QSC HPR series and a BMS4550 driver.

The TD15M was on loan with the possibility for purchase, but Hurd and I spent all day Saturday and Sunday tracking down a dip in the frequency response that turned out to be the driver itself...

Anyways, to answer your question, it's a custom box designed by both Hurd and myself.

southern,

Hope you get that ST-70 fix. I can bring the Harbeths again if people are up for it.

The Harbeths need to be in a smaller room. They should not be competing with Cornwalls.

They will do a great job with voices, acoustic instruments. They are comparable to similar size Spendors, Proacs etc.

Those of you unfamiliar with the BCC tradition, from which the Harbeth lineage is based, should look up Spencer Hughs, Dudley Harwood and the Rogers LS3A...

> The TD15M was on loan with the possibility for purchase, but Hurd and I spent all day Saturday and Sunday tracking down a dip in the frequency response that turned out to be the driver itself...

Mike:

I hope you are not referring to the monster -20dB dip that I saw. It was a nice looking drivers though.

southern,

Hope you get that ST-70 fix. I can bring the Harbeths again if people are up for it.

The Harbeths need to be in a smaller room. They should not be competing with Cornwalls.

They will do a great job with voices, acoustic instruments. They are comparable to similar size Spendors, Proacs etc.

Those of you unfamiliar with the BCC tradition, from which the Harbeth lineage is based, should look up Spencer Hughs, Dudley Harwood and the Rogers LS3A...I think they would have sounded much better if we had them playing with the Emotiva sub. I sure would have liked to hear them on tubes though.

southern,

Those of you unfamiliar with the BCC tradition, from which the Harbeth lineage is based, should look up Spencer Hughs, Dudley Harwood and the Rogers LS3A...I think they would have sounded much better if we had them playing with the Emotiva sub. I sure would have liked to hear them on tubes though.

I do not know what happened the last time I posted this but here we go again.

I think we should have gave them a shot with the Emotiva sub, I think that would have been a much fuller sound. I sure would have been great to hear them with tubes though.

Thanks for the invite and the hospitality. Had a great time and got to meet some good folks. Even if some were old (just kidding Cliff).

OUCH!!!! That one hurt. I wish I could have stayed I would have showed you pups how to REALLY ROCK AND ROLL!! Hope we can do it again soon. My wife was not too keen about coming over to my house though, an least not untll she gets done redoing the kitchen and family room.

Got Samsonite?

(Doc's first testing rig was housed in a snappy red samsonite suitcase)

(did you do any testing? any curves you'd care to share?)

Haha, did we do any testing? After the party, Hurd and I did 3 days of testing trying to dial in the new box with the TD15M....you can find a full report over on the AVS forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1282420

The mod's done to the Chorus II I think have ruined my first time listening experience to Chorus line but that's fine by me. .

Ouch, that doesn't sound very promising can you elaborate on that comment?

Stormin,

It was the opposite in Mike has a pair that he did a mod to so they are defiantly not original any more. Since I never heard the original Chorus II speaker before, this mod might have ruined it for me. They sounded great but the speaker that is in the works looks to be even better, now to just get those subs made to finially hear or feel the house move.

James