Looking to Upgrade my Speakers...Help!

HOGFAN

I have been considering upgrading my speakers for the past several months. I currently have Quartet's....L-C-R, in an HT setup. However, I use my system mostly for music....probably 60%. I have been considering moving up to Cornwall's/La Scala's, but space would be somewhat an issue.....could make it work. I have recently been looking at going the KLF-20 route.....with the C-7 at center. Would I hear a noticable improvement going with this setup, over my Quartet's? The KLF-20's would fit nicely in my room, but I don't want to make a switch for little to no improvement in sound. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Hogfan

Hi Hogfan...

What about simply going balls to the wall and putting something like Khorns in there?

I've got LaScalas and had Khorns. The Khorns are/were far less intrusive into usable living floor space than my LaScalas ever thought to be.

Something nice about using corners. They're generally dead space. Of course, you have to have them first, do you have good corners?

Coytee,

Thanks for your input.

My corners are not perfect....one side of each corner is only about 16" long.....that end of room is a built-in entertainment center that is recessed about 12 inches.....not making for normal corners. I have corners, but I don't think they will fit K-horns in a perfect way. Further, my room is 14 x 20.....with the short side housing my gear.

Hogfan

I don't listen to any 2 channel, but can comment on multichannel movies and music. Three LaScala across the front and very capable subs, and I can not imagine what I would improve. It is an unbeatable combination for the money. I think LaScala are at the sweet spot for value. On the used market, they're just slightly higher priced than lesser models, and significantly cheaper than Khorns.

Coytee, I'd be curious to hear you ramble on your thoughts regarding going from Khorns to LS. Did you have competant subs with both? I don't know what Khorns could add to my system, knowing that the subs can handle their business.

Hogfan,

I was in the same situation a few years back and went
through a series of upgrades before sticking with Chorus II's. I used my
Quartets for 2 channel listening for music and movies for over 10
years. Then I wanted the HT thing and got a new Yamaha receiver, an
Academy and RS35 surrounds. That wasn't good enough so, I upgraded the
Quartets' and Academy's xovers with Popbumper's upgrades. Still wanted
more so I got Chorus II's to replace the Quartets as mains. And I've
been happy with this setup of 4years now. The first time I hooked up the
Chorus', my first thought was the music surrounded me. The sound stage
of the Chorus' is so much bigger and forward compared to the Quartets.

For
an HT setup since you are already using 3 Quartets, you can keep the
one as the center and move the other 2 as surrounds. Chorus II's will
fit seemlessly in the setup.

Given the use of my mains as 60% + for music, would Chorus II's be a significant improvement from my Quartet's? At one point, I was thinking about picking up a pair of Forte II's, but was unsure if the move would be justified with improved sound. I was told that I should look at either the CW or LS route.....if I wanted a big improvement. If the Chorus II's would provide this "wow" factor I'm looking for, I will certainly put them on my list. However, a pair of Klf-20's are a few hrs away from me and it just got me thinking about a "legend" setup.

Thanks,

Hogfan

Further, my room is 14 x 20.....with the short side housing my gear.

Mine is 14X13.5, and I have Khorns with a Cornwall center in there. Works fine. Love to have more room for more people, but the imaging works for me and maybe two others, and that accounts for 99% of the time.

PWK was good for K'horns down to a 12' spacing.

Dave

Given the use of my mains as 60% + for music, would Chorus II's be a significant improvement from my Quartet's? At one point, I was thinking about picking up a pair of Forte II's, but was unsure if the move would be justified with improved sound. I was told that I should look at either the CW or LS route.....if I wanted a big improvement. If the Chorus II's would provide this "wow" factor I'm looking for, I will certainly put them on my list. However, a pair of Klf-20's are a few hrs away from me and it just got me thinking about a "legend" setup.

Thanks,

Hogfan

Chorus II,s will definately give you the " WOW " factor you are looking for ! My H/T room is 14 X 22 with 4 K-horns and an Academy center. I use the short walls for fronts and rears and the sound is INCREDIBLE !