Suggestions on Heresy or Forte

moray james

• Moderators

DTEL has a really great and understanding wife! Wink

Roger

Lol, aint that the truth! Mine thinks the fortes are huge, but she accepted them without much fuss, so there's hope for us.

I thought we were trying to break in Morey James slowly?

Well thank you.

BUT it might be that she is as SICK as I am ?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any issue with the profile used there are well designed horns that ate exponential which sound great. I was more concerned if the the horn used in say the RF5 and RF7 were up to the task od getting the job done at least as well or better than the two horns used in either a Heresy or Forte ll and no concern to the chosenn profile. I sounds as if it just comes back to limiting the band and spreading the load so each horn is happy and clean when it does its job. I had looked at one of the Paladium three way book shelf speakers but decided to go with either a Heresy or a Forte ll because of the higher efficiency. Has any one auditioned the Paladium bookshelf three ways? The other problem is that with the booksheld designs they all get scaled down so there again you are compromizing the horns performance (in the mid band).

Any how I went out this afternoon and checked ot a set of 1996 Forte ll which were in very good condition and decided to buy them as the price was right ($500.00/pr.) The gaskets on the drivers and the passive are leaking so need to be replaced but aside from that they seem to be just fine and sounded good. I have to admit I only got to listen to them for perhaps five minutes and then my ride had to go. So I will pick them up in a day or two and give them a listen then. I wanted to get a good reference quality speaker with high sensitivity to have as a base reference. Your assistance here was very useful. In the next year or so I am planning to pick up the necessary drivers to fit out a set of Unity Horns designed by Tom Danley and built by Nick McKinney. They each use a single 1 inch comp driver with four 5 inch mids and run from 300 Hz. up. Then I will need to get some high effiency bass drivers because I want to run the Unity's as hot as possible. So I have been looking at some Beyma drivers which are over 100 db efficient. I have not even looked at the price yet for fear of shock. The Forte ll's will help me to get acquainted with LOUD speakers.Saving cash will be difficult for me so in the mean time I will probably do some or a lot to the Forte's depending upon how I feel about them. Have been thinking about a new box for the Forte with the passive radiator on the outside walls and a bare frame to position the horns in space above the bass box. Has anybody here done any time allignment of the horns on a Forte ll?

Thank you all so much for your kind welcome and most useful advice. It is great to find such a community. I hope you don't think me rude to discuss playing with my new Forte but I don't think Paul would mind. So can you point me into the direction that others here who have taken the road to upgrade their Forte drivers? I don't even know what the diaphragm materials are in the two comp drivers but I do have had a soft spot for phenolic. Am open to any and all suggestions. Best regards from the new member of the club. Moray James.