Suggestions on Heresy or Forte

moray james

After a lot of years with Klipsch in my head as a good loudspeaker I am thinking about picking up a used set of Heresy or Forte ll. Am thinking in two possible directions; Heresy with subs or Forte perhaps without subs. Without opening a can of worms is a Forte a Heresy with extra grunt or are they different beasts? Which of the Heresy versions are the ones to get? Perhaps a better question would be what are the basic sonic differences in the Heresy versions? Also I see a lot of posts on upgrading these speakers with metal dome diaphragms. Do all the stock Heresy and Forte ll have phenolic diaphragms? Metal diaphragms in comp drivers don't always sound as good as phenolic diaphragms. While the Klipsch drivers are not pro style comp drivers and have (I believe) lower compression compared to pro units I wonder if the phenolic diaphragms are the real problem. I don't have the first hand knowledge to know so I figure those here will.There is also the possible third way to go with mix and match drivers and crossovers to create a hybrid but that is more time work and money so I would want to have a look at possible versions done by some of the more adventurous inmates at this asylum. Thanks and looking forward to your comments.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the forum....

As stated the Forte is a different beast compared to the Heresy. I would wait to upgrade anything and just listen and see how you like the speakers. Some leave their speakers and some upgrade, all personal preference.

Were do you live, maybe some members would invite you over if they have these speakers so you can hear first hand.

James

Any low end performance in the Forte won't be comparable to adding even a modest subwoofer into the system. In other words, Heresy with a modest sub will be more potent in that respect. The mid range of the Forte is a clear advantage though. Forte now and add a sub in the future!

tragusa3 thanks that was more or less where my thinking was going. I have heard that the Heresy was kind of magic butI don't know which version. Has anybody married the Forte ll mid horn with a Heresy? I do like the idea of smaller main speakers positioned to image and stage well while stereo subs do the grunt work. Are there any good threads or sites which detail the differences in the Klipsch speakers? Thanks.

Just my 2 cents - I have a friend with a pair of Fortes; I have owned at least two pairs of Heresy. The Fortes sound superior to my ears.

Given the choice, given a similar price, given that space is not an issue, I would choose the Forte without hesitation.

For reference, I own and l listen to "W" Cornwalls.

I agree I demoed the forte against the heresy when purchasing and there was a clear difference in favor of the forte. There were none in stock and the new shipment was forte II's which is how I ended up with the II's. The forte line are more placement sensitive due to the passives in back if that is a factor but at the same time those with heresies always say they sound much better in corners as well.

• Moderators

It sounds like you almost want to put something together, if so go with something bigger a Corn-Scala, midrange from a LaScala in a Cornwall cabinet. It would be about the only thing worth doing on your own and you can just buy the parts and build it yourself.

You can't just mix and match parts........and expect good results. [:S]

It would be tough to beat unless you want to go really BIG. [6]

The Forte (I) has about the same mid and tweeter as the HII. But the Forte (I) has much better bass because of the larger box volume and the passive bass radiator..

The Forte II has an even bigger passive and the wonderful tractrix midrange. Some people say that they don't hear much difference between the Forte (I) and Forte II. My explanation for this is that maybe the Forte (I) can sound as good if there are minimal wall reflections in a room.

Nonetheless, I believe the Forte II gives just astounding results unmatched by other Klipsch using a direct radiator. Maybe the big KLF come close and the Chorus II should do as well. But please buy the Forte II. You'll never regret it.

Wm McD

Thanks guys: I like what high effiency does for a speaker and I like the idea of sattlelight with stereo subs. So what about going with a used RB81 ll with subs? Is the RB81 ll a better speaker thaneither the heresy or Forte in terms of response and stage image qualities?

No, you're getting off track here. The RB81's are fine speakers, but the Heresy and forte ii will both eclipse the RB81's; both have far more open, effortless, and natural midrange compared to the two-way RB81. If you can accomodate them, stick w/ Heritage speakers.

Thank you gentlemen: what a wonerful group of audio
friends you are as well as being a supreb support system for Klipsch
owners and interested fans.

So I am a bit confused. Lets say for
the moment that I am more inclined to go with a smaller main and augment
with stereo subs. Now it has been commented on that the Heritage line
will out perform the new RB series of two way speakers. It has also been said the
tractrix mid horn is superior to the older exponential horns of the
early Heresy. So aside from the slightly lower efficiency of the RB
series they do have a tractrix mid/high frequency horn. So why then are
the older squaker and tweeter horns better? I am confused which is better
in you (collective opinions).

I visited my local Klipsch dealer
today and found a new (demo) set if RB61's with full warranty for only
$390.00 the pair which seems like a very good deal. Also a pair of RB81's for
$612.00 the pair. Yes they both need subs but so do Heresy's or even
Forte's if you want deep bass. Does the real difference lie in the comp
driver? Both the 61 and the 81 were smooth and well extended with good
image and stage even sitting on a shelf. Aside from the efficiency
difference (stated as abut 2db) between the new designs and the classics
are the older three ways with their more complex crossovers really
better and if so in what way or rather what accounts for the superiority
of one over the other. I must admit that the price and size are attractive to me for the RB61's so I am tempted purchase these new RB61's rather than to buy an older Heritage set at as high or
higher price and still face diaphragm upgrades etc.. I am open to
compelling comments either way.Thanks for such great assistance. Regards
Moray James.

What are you going to listen to on this system? If you are talking about 2 channel music then the forte II does not need a sub, since it goes to 32hz +/- 3db. Unless you listen to a lot of pipe organ music. Any speaker will need a deep sub to accomodate that. If you are going to be viewing movies with LFE then again, a sub is helpful. However I have been using a forte II surround set up for years now for movies and have not felt in a hurry to get a sub yet. Maybe some day, but it's not my most pressing issue. For 2 channel music sources, I definitely do not need a sub. I can't help you with comparisons to newer models because I haven't heard them. Just remember for forte's with a wood finish you are talking about speakers that sold for $1400 20 years ago. Diaphragm upgrades are not necessary, most will say that the crossovers should be reworked. Mine are still completely stock, and still sound pdg.

post-15243-1381961781736_thumb.gif

post-15243-13819621590814_thumb.gif