rf7II rc64II and rs62 II just arrived!!

bosng

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really considering the emotiva xpa3 or 5. like the way they look and their rep for sound as well.

anyone know what the best attainable price is other than ones listed? pm me please

I have the XPA-3 as mentioned above and it sounds outstanding with my RF7II's and I dont think you can go wrong with either the 5 or the 3 . Another option im considering is going mono blocks to enhance my 2 channel listening maybe 2 upa-1's for my fronts and use my xpa-3 for my center and rears . Theses many different combos that should work great also I Have never tryed this but I heard good things about Emo's b-stock they dont show it on there website but if you call them you can see what they have and they offer good discounts along with full warranty's , just a thought.

starting to waver on the decision. maybe just the xpa5 for the whole set and be done with it. thinking about the outlets that these thing will need and the power requirements.

i'm renting my place and don't feel i'm gonna install a 20 amp socket into this place. am i thinking correctly here?

on the other hand i'm still discovering the character of these speakers daily. turned the sub up just a bit for music listening and it changed the sound completely. low volume yet makes the music have a solid presence in the room.

Yeah. the best thing to do is to email or call Emotiva and ask them how much power their amps draw. I checked the specs in the manual and on the site but they don't list power draw. The manual says to call if you want to know the power requirements but it says that typically a regualr 15 amp circuit should be sufficient. It did say to calculate the power usage if your other devices too. Of course your display is probably going to be the item that draws the most power. I didn't check to see what kind of tv you had but my 40" Samsung draws around 180 watts. And thats the calibrated figure with brightness and the backlight etc turned down. With the factory "Vivid" settings I was drawing closer to 250 watts. It might've even been closer to 300. I can't really remember but I know it was a huge difference. Nonetheless LED LCD panels use a lot less power. I believe a 55" LED would probably use the same amount of energy if not less energy than my cold cathode based tv. So if you have a plasma or a regular tv that hogs alot of power then I would def call emotiva and find out the specs in their amps before buying multiple amps.....and post it on this forum [:P] The good thing is that even just the xpa5 would be an upgrade because Emotiva rates their amps all channels driven so you know you're getting the full 200 watts per channel in a worst case scenario. WIll probably end up getting a little more under normal use. Believe it or not I was actually wondering the same thing. I was researching battery backups for my main setup which is probably going to include 3 mono amps and I don't think imma be able to find a backup big enough to handle all that juice. I know the Butler amps I was looking at used 880 watts of power [:o] but their tube based so Emotiva amps should be a lot lower. I know its no comparison but my 400 watt Onkyo only uses about 60 watts during use. So I guess that lets me know that I'm not getting my full 80 watts per channel. lol. (all of my readings were based off of my APC which has a wattage consumption display on it) either that or I don't turn it up loud enough. [:P]

I've read of multyple folks with XPA-1's x2 on the same circuit with no issues so I wouldnt let that determine how many amps you get or whirch one . Just get what you think is going to work best for your system .

Yeah I don't think that should be the sole factor but I understand where he's coming from. I don't know how many watts a circuit can handle but I wouldn't want his breaker tripping when he turned it up, lol. But I am still curious what does things draw under load. Some people were throwing out numbers and saying that the amps draw like 2 watts in standby and 60 watts idle but no one could throw out in use numbers. But I digress. Good luck in whatever path you choose. And know that the sound will improve with either path. [:)]

I've read of multyple folks with XPA-1's x2 on the same circuit with no issues so I wouldnt let that determine how many amps you get or whirch one . Just get what you think is going to work best for your system .

Yeah I don't think that should be the sole factor but I understand where he's coming from. I don't know how many watts a circuit can handle but I wouldn't want his breaker tripping when he turned it up, lol. But I am still curious what does things draw under load. Some people were throwing out numbers and saying that the amps draw like 2 watts in standby and 60 watts idle but no one could throw out in use numbers. But I digress. Good luck in whatever path you choose. And know that the sound will improve with either path. Smile

Very true to all the above and one thing that should be considered that I failed to mention is how big is your HT and how hard you'll be pushing everything because that could be a contributing factor if your going have power issues tripping your breakers. These guys with power house amps like the xpa-1 might not be listening at reference levels or not often for long periods .

Yeah I don't think that should be the sole factor but I understand where he's coming from. I don't know how many watts a circuit can handle but I wouldn't want his breaker tripping when he turned it up, lol. But I am still curious what does things draw under load. Some people were throwing out numbers and saying that the amps draw like 2 watts in standby and 60 watts idle but no one could throw out in use numbers. But I digress. Good luck in whatever path you choose. And know that the sound will improve with either path. Smile

Very true to all the above and one thing that should be considered that I failed to mention is how big is your HT and how hard you'll be pushing everything because that could be a contributing factor if your going have power issues tripping your breakers. These guys with power house amps like the xpa-1 might not be listening at reference levels or not often for long periods .

True true. I'm curious how hard they're driving their systems. I doubt they reach reference levels unless the room is huge. I tried to get near reference but my ears always give out before the receiver or speakers do. I haven't reached clipping levels yet or distortion so I guess thats a good thing [:P] I might end up calling Emotiva tomorrow just to ask them about power comsumption.

• Klipsch Employees

Congrats!

In an apartment? Oh my......

I don't know how fussy you are with your gear, but if my new speakers had a blem, i would return them. Problem is that returning just one would result in an mismatched pair (seq serial numbers). If you aren't overly fussy, and don't care about resale value, then keep them. Either way, it won't affect the sound. Another reason to try and purchase them from a local dealer when possible.

They are all matched...the SN has not meaning in matching. All speakers are tested to the same standard. They must test within 1.5 db +/- of the standard not each other.

The thing I worry about is warranty. I dont know that where he got them is autrized. IF NOT then he has NO WARRANTY with Klipsch.

The speakers are not packed to ship small fright, (FedEx or UPS). When they are, there is a chance for damage.

• Klipsch Employees

We use pro amps in our testing and most of our listening, even in one of our HT rooms.

As for tubes, take time to look up what they do. They are odd harmonic generators and belong in stage gear not home audio.

But that is just my point of view. PWK put the tubes to rest as soon as a good pro SS amp came to market. For the last 10 years or so that I was around him, I never found a tube amp in his house. Wait; there was one he used to hold the shop door open in the summer.

As for tubes, take time to look up what they do. They are odd harmonic generators and belong in stage gear not home audio.

But that is just my point of view. PWK put the tubes to rest as soon as a good pro SS amp came to market. For the last 10 years or so that I was around him, I never found a tube amp in his house. Wait; there was one he used to hold the shop door open in the summer.

If I lived in Hope in the summer I would use my tube amp to hold a door open as well, but for the Chicago winters I perfer to use my tube amp to power my Forte's.

We use pro amps in our testing and most of our listening, even in one of our HT rooms.

ouch! that is some endorsement for tubes. i thought i was going to someday get some for these speakers but now i'm not sure.

ouch! that is some endorsement for tubes. i thought i was going to someday get some for these speakers but now i'm not sure.

Same here. I was thinking of getting a tube for my bedroom system and using regular amps up front because as I said I've heard so many glowing reviews for tubes but you can't really argue with the Klipsch engineer so I may reconsider as well. I am going to research it more though so that I can read up on harmonic generator aspect of it.