LaScala2 crossover replacement

snarkonmars

Hi everybody!

I have got LaScala2 Anniversary edition and wondering..whether it makes sense to replace original AL-5 crossover with Bob Crites famous AL-3?

I looked inside my speakers and I can tell you that AL-5 has got many capasitors (maybe 15 or even 20) and from one hand it means that Klipsch tried to smooth horn's sound and to make tonal balance more accurate with deeper bass. But from another hand many capasitors often lead to lack of transparency.

So I decided to ask here - did anyone experiment with crossovers in new LaScala2?

thank you.

Igor

of course! I know that.

The question is: Bob Crites highly regarded as crossover updater. I heard a lot about sound improvement with his crossovers placed to klipsch speakers.

Now i have got new AL-5 crossover with multipul capasitors and I was just wondering maybe Al-3 made by Bob Crites would be better.

Do you believe you hear a problem with the way your AL-5's are performing? I think the LaScala II's have a fantastic sound!

While I haven't heard Crites xovers in a direct comparison, I believe the most recent Klipsch Heritage xovers are highly engineered as to frequency response, driver blending, and sound quality. My K-horns' Ak-4's are the same generation as yours, and I myself would not make that change.

Based on their good reputation, I would certainly consider Crites xovers if I had the AK-2s or AK-3s. But, replacing the AK-4's may be more a matter of personal choice.

I understand that changing driver output settings is easy in a Crites, in case you think part of the range is too high or too low. I haven't felt a need to do that in my speaks.

Larry

I do not have a problem with AL-5 :-) I love the sound of LaScala II this is why I am owner :-)

Although I am not just blind fan of what Klipsch produces and after many experiments with capasitors in my vintage amps I've learned that cheap film capasitors rarely can give you immaculate result.

The capasitors in AL-5 are casual and cheap film ones. In Crites xovers are sonicaps which are not expensive either but there are not many of them comparing to 15 or 20 capasitors in original AL-5. I've thought perhaps somebody here tried something different (Crites xovers or modded xovers with paper in oil caps for example).

So the question now lies more in theretical area. If you think that I waste my time on thinking about this topic I would gladly go back to my lovely sound system :-))

The La Scala II is different from the original La Scala in a number of ways, so the crossover has to be different as well, meaning the older AL-3 or AL-4 crossovers would be unsuitable.

I've heard only good things about the LS 2s. Is there something about the sound of your speakers that you're not happy with? If you think the capacitors could be better, maybe think about replacing them with better ones with the same electrical values.

Are your speakers performing at their very best right now? Have you experimented with their position and direction until they're working ideally with the room?

The sound that's coming out of the speakers is more important than how many and what kind of parts are inside them. Many audio components work very well and make many people happy, in spite of others claiming that they should not sound so good because of this or that in the parts they're made from.

If you're happy with your speakers, enjoy them and maybe spend your upgrade money on buying some more music to enjoy with them.

thank you, Islander

It seems you are telling me right things to follow :-) I really like the sound reproduction of LaScala2 and was just curious to step onto experimental road.

I do not want to replace capasitors in original AL-5 xover because:

1. there are too many capasitors to replace

2. I do not want to change the authenticity of the xover. I'd rather buy Crites xover with just couple of caps and it would be much easier to experiment.

Though I can see now that it makes no sense. At least until some information about definite improvements of someones experiments would be spread.

Hi Snarkonmars & welcome.

I've owned LaScalas for over 30 years now and think the stock LaScala II's are a clear improvement. Personally, I'd keep them as they are unless you want to specifically try to improve them.

If that's the case, then I'd contend that converting them to "JubeScalas" would give you a substantial larger improvement than merely changing crossovers. I'm not saying converting to JubeScalas is not without other issues since you'd then be actively biamping. You will probably not like the asthetics difference either. I am here to say though, the improvement of making your speaker a 2-way with biamped signal alignment will be a more substantial change/improvement in sound than merely swapping out your passive.

You can do a search on 'Jubescala' and also have the benefit of Pat having already chimed in (note his avatar picture, that's the smaller version of the top horn)

Here's the larger version.....don't faint [:D]

post-15072-13819618502774_thumb.jpg

post-15072-13819622107028_thumb.jpg

Igor, I can understand where you are coming from because there are so many threads on how to improve the sound of different Klipsch speakers, and people seem to be having s much fun doing it! I haven't heard the La Scala II yet but the problem you seem to have is that they sound pretty damn good already. [:P] My advice is to go find an older pair and start having fun with them instead, and save the LS IIs as a reference.

Hi tromprof

I am from Kiev, Ukraine. Right guess I hope? :-)

I already gave up improving sound of my LaScalas. You all were quite persuasive.

As for old LaScala...you won't find any pair here...that's why I had to focus on new LaScala II and I have no regrets now.

thank you very much, guys, for being nice and kind advices

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Igor:
I have a pair of LaScala II's and thought of perhaps replacing the cossovers just as you have. I haven't done that yet, but what I have done is replace the stock tweeters with the Crites CT-125 models. They are much more impressive physically than the stock tweets, and sound is much sweeter. It's easy to replace them, so if you want to tinker, maybe start here. I love these speakers, by the way!

Hi Igor:
I have a pair of LaScala II's and thought of perhaps replacing the cossovers just as you have. I haven't done that yet, but what I have done is replace the stock tweeters with the Crites CT-125 models. They are much more impressive physically than the stock tweets, and sound is much sweeter. It's easy to replace them, so if you want to tinker, maybe start here. I love these speakers, by the way!

Here is a link to "Crites" site--------> CLICK HERE

Dennie

• 1 month later...

I got my La Scalas the last year before the new model II, so this refers to the original, not the new II.

That said, soon after, I got a pair of Crites type A's to compare to the stock AL-4... three seconds of listening and the decision was made to pull the AL-4's and keep the type A's forever. Easiest audio decision I ever made in my life.

But, I listen at moderate levels, usually with SET, and I honestly doubt I have ever passed more than 1 watt through them in the five years I've loved them. I think the AL-4 was designed to accomodate the speaker when playing at high listening/power levels and it may work very well for that...