Question about Cornwall II grills.....

Mighty Favog

Looks like I just landed a pair of 84' Cornwall II's in Oiled Walnut with cain grills. I pick them up a in a couple of weeks.

While I'm happy as all get out over the cain grills my wife is not so sure, said it would clash in our living room. To take a bit from ol' PWK himself, I say match the rest of the room to the grills. But anyway...

So if I were to order/procure a pair of black grills AND if I decide (at a VERY slim chance) to turn these into Cornscalas, are the original grills cut out only to match the openings of each driver or is the framework mostly on the circumference of the grill with a crossbar somewhere for added support. I ask because I really didn't want to have a pair made in black (I'll put the cains on when she not home for a while. ;) ) but the midrange horn for the Cornscalas will most likely be a Selenium HM4750SLF or maybe a JBL M2380 knockoff. i.e.- MUCH LARGER...

Thanks guys!

84 cornwalls should still be 1's. do you have pictures of them with the grills off.

i've seen 2 kinds of factory grills. one has 2 cut outs for the mid and hi drivers and another grill has only one cut out for both drivers. i use to make some cornwall grills and have some blanks left over with no cloth on them. how close are you to me. i'm in cincy. we can get you fixed up with something.

Wow!! You're not going to believe this then... I live about 2-miles from Eastgate Mall!

I will definitley take you up on the offer when I get them and I'll order some grill cloth from Bob (Crites). I'll just have to scape up some logos of the right vintage. I just think it's going to be really cool to have two stes of grills for them.

Here's one of the pictures I have so far from AudiogoN where I bought them. Too bad it doesn't show the back of the grill. It does, however have a space between the tweeter and the midrange. On some others I I've seen those two butted up against each other.

post-5564-13819618591022_thumb.jpg

post-5564-13819622178986_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fini!

Any idea what the differences were?? Driver mfgr? Horn model/shape? Horn spacing?

From the II to the I's I take it tha the binding posts are just those two pan head screws on the back where rather than the II's having the round binding cup. O.k. I'm probably wrong about that one....

The main difference (the one evident in the pictures) is that the IIs' componentd are mounted from the front, allowing for a fixed (non-removable) back (and the round binding-post cup). There are other differences (drivers, for instance), but these are the ones visible from the outside. Here's a II for comparison:

Klipsch_Cornwall_2a.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Those are beautiful! I love the cain grills.

Does anyone know if there where different grill options from the factory? I have never seen any other Cornwalls like mine.

Shine, somewhere I read in the last few days there were up to 6 different grill options. Pretty much one for each one of the finishes offered and could be ordered in any combination. That may have been for CWII though. I'll have to look again.

Your grills would have been a code #18. Cain grills would have been a code #03

Those are beautiful! I like the carpet too. Keep track of those grills, I would ask around here about how best to preserve them. They will need some oil or remoisturizing somehow to keep them from becoming brittle with age. You have an obligation with those to keep them in nice shape! Congrats!

I have a pair of Cornwall that my late Dad purchased new in April 5 1979 that look just like this picture(space inbetween tweeter and mid horn). But Black cloth grills.. The paper work from Hillcrest HiFI, notes them to be Cornwall with opitional risers $945.00 for all. 19T907 / 906 stamped on top of back board.