Feeding The Spirit Through Live Music (aka "The motivation for my being here")

Audible Nectar

A month or so ago it came to my accidental attention that I am now coming up on my 10th year of membership on the forum. I considered what I might do for my 10th year post....what I've learned, etc.....but came to the realization that a better suited post would be about my musical exploits AWAY from the forum - because in the end it is the driving force behind why I am here. So while this is a bit off topic for this forum, I wanted to post it here where those who I have conversed with primarily will see it. Thanks for your indulgence....

A concept oft discussed on this forum and a major reason we are here is to re-create the live music experience to the degree that our gears will allow. But in the end, it's only an approximation, as close to real as we may get there's no substitute for the real thing: Live performance "in the moment". My desire to bring that experience home is only rivaled by my desire to experience "the real thing" by seeing music live.

An all time favorite concert experience of mine is the rock band Phish - particularly with a tradition they have built over the years around the Halloween holiday: The "Musical Costume", where the band performs another band's album in it's entirety, from start to finish.

Phish is probably best described as "The World's Most Popular Bar Band". They have the ability to expand that "intimate" feel of a bar across the much larger space of an arena or festival ground in a way that keeps everyone "in on the joke", if you will. Phish, when first observed, can come off as a "WTF is going on here" kind of experience, but once you get the feel of it the music brings you to "the inside" of the joke, if you will. Because once you start paying attention, they start playing with your mind. A rock band, but in the spirit of improvisational jazz, where every version of the same song is different, and every show being a different and unique setlist. A rock and roll roller coaster, where the listener doesn't know what's next.

With that backdrop, Phish cooked up an idea in 1994 to do another band's album for Halloween, in it's entirety from start to finish - dubbed "The Musical Costume". With that announcement would come the part where they start messing with your dome: What's the album gonna be???? And of course, the band is always more than happy to drop hints, both real and mostly fake, in the weeks leading up to the show. All the while having to rehearse (and they are WELL rehearsed) and keeping it a "Capitol secret" at the same time.

The 1994 choice was The Beatles "White Album" - a classic album from THE quintessential rock band. The costume choices were oft chosen for thier influence on the band, and The Beatles were as influential as any and a logical "first choice". The band "sandwiched" a middle album set between two sets of Phish, a format that would carry forward through five future Halloween performances.

In 1995 the band put it up to a vote - the top vote getter was "Joe's Garage" from Frank Zappa....a social freedom statement album from the late 1970's. The complexity of doing that album live (LOTS of complex overdubbing) had them doubting the viability of a live performance. So they chose the second place pick - The Who's "Quadrophenia", ideally suited to the concert site, the 20,000 seat Rosemont Horizon. The band felt it was the ideal arena rock album, for a band that was now out of clubs and theaters and playing arenas most of the time.

In 1996, the choices began to get more "serious". The band seemed to go into a "professorial mode" where the choices were, in a manner of speaking, "taking the fanbase to school" - as if to say "if you don't know THIS, you SHOULD." The 1996 crowd was handed a "Phishbill" when they entered the Omni in Atlanta - a play on "Playbill" - where the album cover of Talking Heads "Remain In Light" adorned the glossy front page, with a full article explaining the choice, tracklisting, and such. It gave the audience a bit to consider the choice, particularly given that it was more obscure than the prior choices. But no less important, because by this time the Halloween choices were dovetailing with the sound of the band at the time. The musical "fingerprints" of the choice were all over subsequent performances, permeating the sound throughout the following years. It was a knockout performance - and every fan of Phish knows "Crosseyed and Painless" now :-)

They took a year off from the Halloween tradition, resuming it in 1998 at Las Vegas' Thomas and Mack with Velvet Underground's "Loaded". "Sweet Jane" was well known, but the punky-funky feel of the rest of "Loaded" was a new flavor unfamiliar to most - but not for long :-) "Despite all the amputations you know you could just dance to that Rock and Roll station" (from 'Rock and Roll') became just as well known subsequently as the Phish standards were....but with an interesting footnote: "Loaded" got a marked spike in sales on the CD racks after the show, the resulting "buzz" of that performance having the fanbase - who attended and wished that they did - grabbing a copy from the local store.

The tradition went away in the years following - the band having "broke up" for periods in the 2000's (less a year+ stint in '03/04). I had all but written off any future Phish performances - but they reformed in '09, a much more mature band, but never forgetting who they were. In a spirit of "giving the people what they want", Phish announced a Halloween show for October '09, but with a twist: A map, encouraging us to "Save The Date - Oct 30, 31st, and Nov 1". A state or three would be removed until only one remained - the show site and official announcement for the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio, Ca. - and another "twist": A three day festival, with a wall of 100 albums, which would be slayed one at a time until only one remained. They got it down to 8 (and by coincidence or not, it was Phish's eighth festival), so it was dubbed "Festival 8".

On arrival to Festival 8, you were greeted and assigned parking/camping in one of eight theme camps - each one dedicated to one of eight album finalists. Jimi Hendrix: "Electric Ladyland", Prince: "Purple Rain", Radiohead: "Kid A", MGMT: "Oracular Spectacular", Genesis: "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", David Bowie: "Hunky Dory", King Crimson: "Larks' Toungues In Aspic", and Rolling Stones: "Exile On Main St". The "streets" were labeled with street signs named in relation to the camp - for example "Talking Drum Ave" was our address in the "Larks Toungues In Aspic" camp - that very sign a few feet from me now in my living room. The winning album was the Rolling Stones "Exile", with Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings backing Phish during the middle set performance. This all in a custom made wonderland where requests and suggestions were taken from fans online, including setting up a 50 foot big screen in a party zone, broadcasting World Series, NFL, and Halloween favorite films, and at least 50 different beers (including a special Sierra Nevada pilsner brew made especially for that weekend). Plus free coffee and "8" shaped donuts prior to the acoustic set at noon on Sunday. Some surmised afterwords that we should have known it was "Exile" all along, since the album finishes with "Soul Survivor" and the last album remaining was the "Sole Survivor "-:)

That was hard to top, but they did a very good job trying this year: A three night run of shows in Atlantic City, NJ, October 29, 30, and 31 - and NO other statements other than how to get tickets. In contrast to the '09 weekend, nothing else need be said, as tickets for the 17K seat hall sold out in five minutes for the whole weekend, where the "promotional buildup" wasn't necessary as in '09 (50K tix to sell). And it was the total lack of information that served as the "joke" this time. No acknowledgement of the album (even though they did one), and no word that they really had reserved the venue until 2:15AM on Monday to accomodate the shenanigans to be contained therein. About two weeks out the drummer (Jon Fishman) was dropping a few hints, mentioning that "It wasn't Led Zeppelin, it was a double album", and the bassist Mike Gordon stating it was "a dance album".

After being picked up by my now Klipsch addicted and VRD owning friend from Mass. (thanks Alan!!) at PHL, we arrived in Atlantic City the night before the run, getting settled in at the Tropicana ahead of the rush - and allowing more time to find great edibles like cheesesteaks at White House Subs :-) The AC arena staff and hotels/restaurants were very welcoming, even playing Phish music on the Boardwalk and offering a number of "specials". So while AC is a bit of a "poor mans Vegas", we felt like kings, taking over the boardwalk and environs in a sea of celebration and music.

Adding to the mix was the relative intimacy of Boardwalk Hall, the 13,800 seat arena which could hold another few thou on the floor - so about 17K or so. It's an old building from the 1920's, I believe, which was artfully refurbished about 8 years ago, and restoration still is ongoing. It houses one of the world's largest pipe organs, being restored currently. A bit longer than might be expected, and more narrow - so if you had side lower bowl seats abot 2/5 of the way back and 5ish rows up sonics were VERY nice, because it was drew level with the soundboard. To curb the issue for those in the back, a set of delay towers were installed, which gave those in the upper back good sound, too - as well as the open area behind the upper bowl. It's just kinda open back there, so getting a beer before setbreak rush is easy and the music in the hall is still rockin' :-)

Friday was a bit of a "get loose" kind of night, featuring more short/"sing-song" selections in the first set - straightforward and rockin!!! Set II was similar, save for two selections (Sand at 12 minutes and Fluffhead to finish Set II at 17). It was apparent they were building this up for more later in the weekend. Saturday was the setup for Sunday, and the album of course, which had them playing the crowd mid-set I with a Led Zeppelin/Whole Lotta Love tease in the middle of "Chalkdust Torture", then into "Ha Ha Ha", an old Phish standard of laughing in song, as if to say "It ain't Zep, suckas!!" Then about 10 minutes into a raging set II, a 30 minute Tweezer/Led Zep sprinked jamfest, as if to slay the popular Led Zeppelin rumor execution style. Then back to Phish, with a 30 minute funfest with "Halley's Comet/Also Sprach Zarathustra/David Bowie", then finishing the set with "Good Times Bad Times" to finish the Zep rumor off for good.

Sunday was a more planned and ritualized affair, akin to Super Bowl Sunday, with "pre-game dinner" scheduled at four at the local Irish Pub, meet at Boardwalk at 6, in the show by 7. We got to the Boardwalk later than 6, which is a good thing, because we couldn't handle waiting long to enter for the revealing of the album choice. By the time I reached the gate, my heart was fluttering akin to a kid getting out of bed on Christmas morning. Once inside, we were handed one helluva gift.

As was custom, a Phishbill was handed to the 17k fans in attendance, adorned with the cover art from Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus", the sixth induction into this little "Hall Of Fame" they have going here. I held back tears for a good ten minutes, as the impact of this work is indelible here.

"Waiting For Columbus" is a CD that I have "worn out" over the years. Sooo many times I will play this when I'm just not sure what to play. It ALWAYS works. It has been a staple in system sound testing too....it's one of a mix of discs I run through when I want to make sure I'm getting the sound I'm looking for. It's a bit of a "desert island" selection for me. So naturally I was thrilled with the choice - not just because I was going to hear it, but also because of what Phish thought of the work by choosing it. I carry the opinion that they are "six for six" on album choices (the ultimate six-pack, if you will), and have such confidence that I will appreciate the choice, whatever they choose. Phish is in my head, it seems ;-).....

One of the things that makes me think Phish Halloween is one of the best things ever invented is the homage to the history of rock and roll. In this respect it's apparent that Phish really "gets it", and how the Halloween performances leave a permanent "footprint" on what comes next for the band.

It does interest me also that this was the first "live" album choice. Actually, this album is a collection from six or seven shows and presented as a live show. Part of the Phishbill instructed that when the MC says "Gimme an F" we say "P-H", "Gimme an E", we say "I", "Gimme an A", we say "S", "Gimme a T", we say "H" :-) That way, it sounds on the recordings as it does on the album....hehehehehe :-) And another well presented album, too....very quickly forgetting the fact we were watching a live show of a live show, and just getting caught up in it all. It's nice to know it front to back....made it all the more enjoyable. And those that didn't know it learned something more about the history of rock and roll, and I expect to hear a lot more Little Feat in various portable sound setups on various music tours.....

As we left the hall, phans were seen high fiving the ushers/security/police in an all smiles from all sides scene that said it all about how we felt about the weekend. A celebration of music and life, and a reaffirmation of a Frank Zappa theme "Music really IS the best!" We had no idea until we checked the time that it was 2:10AM on Monday morning when we stepped outside the hall.....we didn't get to bed til 5:30 :-)

This is the driving force behind my presence here, now going on my 10th year. All the fiddling, tube rolling, builds yadda yadda yadda is a secondary to what I really exist to do - see the music I like in the best settings possible - that interest feeding the desire to have the best music at home. In that regard the Klipsch forum has been instrmental in achieving that goal. It seemed more appropriate to share a bit of what music means to me and how that works out in my real life, rather than a "what I've learned blah blah blah" post as a "ten year". I do of course want to thank those here, and the people at Klipsch, for providing an avenue for building my musical bliss at home, and hope that those that I shared with as a result got as much out of it as I did and still do.

Thanks for reading, and your indulgence, and here's to a happy year 10 - and beyond :-)

Audible,

Congratulations on your forum longevity!

I enjoyed reading about your love of live music in general, and Phish in particular. PWK always aspired to recreate the dynamics and impact of live music. It's preaching to the choir, but good horn loaded speakers come closest to recreating live music.

• Moderators

Congratulations on the 10 years, I am sure you have helped many people during that time. Your the kind of people who make this place the reliable resource for audio help that it is, not even counting the personal part.

Could you imagine the money that has been saved because of information and experience from forum members to each other.

Your right about live music, it's like getting recharged when you hear it. I didn't know much about Phish and had no idea they went through all of that for there shows, thanks.

Keep up the good work ! [H]

This is the driving force behind my presence here, now going on my 10th year. All the fiddling, tube rolling, builds yadda yadda yadda is a secondary to what I really exist to do - see the music I like in the best settings possible - that interest feeding the desire to have the best music at home. In that regard the Klipsch forum has been instrmental in achieving that goal. It seemed more appropriate to share a bit of what music means to me and how that works out in my real life, rather than a "what I've learned blah blah blah" post as a "ten year". I do of course want to thank those here, and the people at Klipsch, for providing an avenue for building my musical bliss at home, and hope that those that I shared with as a result got as much out of it as I did and still do.

Thanks for reading, and your indulgence, and here's to a happy year 10 - and beyond :-)

Granted, I was never a real "phan" of Phish or The Grateful Dead or these other so-called "jam-bands". However, I can certainly relate to your love of live music. Just Friday night, me and a couple of my friends went up to Jaxx in Springfield, VA to see Firewind. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be going up there again to see Epica and then later, Blind Guardian. In addition, I also got 2nd row seat to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra coming up in two weeks as well. That is in Richmond, VA.

My ultimate live music experience for me is going to be ProgPower USA which has been held in Atlanta, GA for the past 10 years. This is a 4-day festival (starting out with a very intimate "Midweek Mayham" on Wednesday night, and concluding with the final headliner of the main event Saturday night/Sunday morning). This is a much more intimite affair than even those Phish concerts, as we are talking at most, maybe 1,700 attendies. For the past two festivals and the one upcoming, I am have also now been an actual sponsor of the festival. That entails actually sponsoring one of the bands that plays there. This is an incredible experience for me, as that also means I get full VIP access to the show, not to mention getting to hang out with the bands back-stage and what not. Not only that, this festival is often the only place you actually get to see some of these bands perform live. For example, this upcoming one (ProgPower USA XII), will feature a very rare performance of Sanctuary, which is re-uniting. Not only that, but the only USA/North American appearance of Therion. The particular band that I am sponsering, Eldritch, this will be only their second tiem playing the US. Last year's band, DGM, was thier first.

Another feature is that after the Friday night performances end, there is a video that is presented to announce the next year's line-up. Talk about being like a kid on Christmas morning! Needless to say, I was literally jumping in my seat when Eldritch was announced for next year's line-up at this last one, which was the band I put a sponsorship bid in for.

But yes, I've also been on this forum for 10 years myself and wholly agree with your final paragraph. To me, it is truly all about the music and just having a very nice setup to listen to it on is just icing on the cake.

That is awesome that you shared this with us. I knew you were heavy into the live music scene.

Anyway, this is one of the main reasons why I love going to ProgPower USA - getting to personally meet the bands:

img_5283Medium.jpg

Me (big guy on the far left) and my friend, Dave, (the guy in the center) with the band DGM, whom we sponsored for ProgPower USA XI which took place just this past September. These guys gave my friend, Dave, and I the royal treatment when they found out we were thier sponsors. It turned out getting to come to the US and to play this festival was a huge dream of thiers and getting to meet the guys that basically helped fulfill that dream was a big thing for them. I honostly don't know who was more excited here, me getting to see this band play and meeting them in person, or this band getting to play here and getting to meet the guys that sponsored them and enabling them to get to play this festival. All I know is that a trip to Italy is in the very near future as I hope to get to meet these guys again.

IMG_2895Medium.jpg

Me with Sabaton, the band I sponsored for ProgPower USA X in September of 2009. Another really awesome bunch of guys that I really hope to get to see again.

congratulations on 10 years!

i'd probably have to say i prefer recorded music. the sound on every live event i've attended was atrocious. i mean so bad that i couldn't tell what song the band was playing (a band i was very familiar with). a possible exception might be symphonic events. otherwise, it doesn't seem like musicians at live events try all that hard to "hit the notes". ymmv.

The goal of reproducing live music assumes the venue is appropriate for the type of music, e.g., from a small club for a jazz group to a suitably sized auditorium for rock, symphonic, operatic, etc. The "live" concerts staged in stadiums are not what is trying to be reproduced.

"My ultimate live music experience for me is going to be ProgPower USA which has been held in Atlanta, GA for the past 10 years. This is a 4-day festival (starting out with a very intimate "Midweek Mayham" on Wednesday night, and concluding with the final headliner of the main event Saturday night/Sunday morning). This is a much more intimite affair than even those Phish concerts, as we are talking at most, maybe 1,700 attendies. For the past two festivals and the one upcoming, I am have also now been an actual sponsor of the festival. That entails actually sponsoring one of the bands that plays there. This is an incredible experience for me, as that also means I get full VIP access to the show, not to mention getting to hang out with the bands back-stage and what not. Not only that, this festival is often the only place you actually get to see some of these bands perform live. For example, this upcoming one (ProgPower USA XII), will feature a very rare performance of Sanctuary, which is re-uniting. Not only that, but the only USA/North American appearance of Therion. The particular band that I am sponsering, Eldritch, this will be only their second tiem playing the US. Last year's band, DGM, was thier first.

Another feature is that after the Friday night performances end, there is a video that is presented to announce the next year's line-up. Talk about being like a kid on Christmas morning! Needless to say, I was literally jumping in my seat when Eldritch was announced for next year's line-up at this last one, which was the band I put a sponsorship bid in for......"

I've noted your interest in that genre. King Crimson's Robert Fripp stated 10ish years ago (and I'm paraphrasing here) that metal was the only truly innovative thing happening in the rock realm. Fripp was prog-metal before the term probably ever existed, and I understand why he said that.

Your expliots are truly a music lab in progress. It's really good to be able to get that close to the proceedings and meet the musicians and crews. While Phish doesn't fit this level of intimacy, much of the music I see does.....many smaller shows and events where the up close and personal is probable.

Most importantly, though, I like the independent scene, which affords more "up close and personal" opportunities, as well as a truly free platform of expression, where the audience determines what succeeds - and not some corporate suit.

The Jamband scene is at times criticized (both externally and internally) because of the relative lack of new and original "blood" - a truly "new" sound or band that would be the next "big thing". But it still remains healthy, seemingly continuing to be pretty successful, even though the festival herd's been trimmed a bit in the last couple of years. While no one succeeded in knocking Phish off the throne, there are a host of smaller bands out there that play 1k - 5K venues regularly. The various "factions all "split off" on the smaller tours, then converge at fests large and small in summer. The newer jam acts offer a spread from bluegrass to lots of electronica, and DJ action has even begun to blend into the mix.

I tend to get my progmetalish fetish fed by a jamband called Umphrey's McGee, which is what might happen if Phish and King Crimson had a baby. They get you in a groove mode, then visit stints of shifting time signatures and progressive metal that is truly fresh and creative. I find them to be the best of that "second tier" of bands still playing smallish venues.

The goal of reproducing live music assumes the venue is appropriate for the type of music, e.g., from a small club for a jazz group to a suitably sized auditorium for rock, symphonic, operatic, etc. The "live" concerts staged in stadiums are not what is trying to be reproduced.

The venue is half the show, and I've traveled to many places to see music because of the venue.

In the rock realm, I am fortunate to follow bands who make sound quality a priority. Many fans of the bands I follow see the soundman as "the sixth member" (or whatever bands plus one quantity applies), and look to play specific venues that are most appropriate for sound.

Colorado's String Cheese Incident was certainly such an act, and especially prevalent by 2000; by such time the band had become successful enough to spend money on some seriously good sounding rigs and equipment. They made it a priority and it was a contributing factor in thier success. They would play acoustically perfect venues like the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, where the 17th row center offered sonics rivaled by any high quality, well set up 2 channel setting. All of the instrumentation of the band - the mandolins (acoustic and electric), fiddles, electric and acoustic guitars, the array of keyboards, and the force of the Dr Teeth style drummer were displayed with the image, clarity, layering, balance, and tonality of a live studio session. Jon-O'Leary could display a sonic palate few live rock acts could match; oft seen as a godlike figure amongst fans of the band. He was that good.

I tend to want to be in some proximity to the sound mix position, if it sounds good at the mix (and a good mixer will do this) it sounds good to me generally with most bands I frequent. If the mixer is bad, odds are I won't be seeing too many future performances.

The really large spaces are not the sonic experiences usually desired....especially the larger arenas and stadiums these days. The aftorementioned Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City was a nice "in-between" for an arena setting. Given the older architecture, it was free of kuxury spaces, like skyboxes and such, and therefore held the 17K in a rather intimate space compared to many similar facilities. It seemed no larger than the old Chicago Stadium, which when compared to the United Center which replaced it could hold FOUR Chicago Stadiums in it's footprint. The UC holds 4000ish more people but takes four times the space. The UC sounds HORRIBLE in most places. Boardwalk Hall actually had a number of areas that sounded quite good for a show of that size and scope. And given the band did a three night run, the sound was as on as it could be by the start of night two.

Many bands I listen to offer live releases from the soundboard of performances. This is often where the music comes directly home, the Klipsch conveying the dynamics and energy of the live performance. If it is mixed well the soundboards are very enjoyable to listen to. And in a good acoustic venue with live recording permitted, some audience recordings done with top flight microphones can convey an even better listening experience. When you start comparing multiple sources of the same show you know you're a freak.

Of course I am well aware of the unamplified performances too - a symphony, jazz band, or other natural instrument or live voice. But yet as I love many (if not most that I see) live shows that happen to be amplified through PA systems, that doesn't stop me from seeking the best sonics possible. One thing I will vouch for: I won't necessarily say that the bands I like are the best bands, because this is subjective, but I will say that the bands I listen to generally have better fidelity in house sound than the average touring bands. Sonics are absolutely a driving factor in my live music choices.

I am well aware of the unamplified performances too - a symphony, jazz

Audible,

I like the idea of including a symphony experience. Based on experiences here in MD, I suggest you might get the most out of a concert in the CSym Orch's hall (dunno the name of it) in up-close-and-personal seats just over the side of the stage.

See the interactive seat map at http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/List.aspx. Click "select seats" at the bottom of the ticket selector, and find the Terrace Right (or Left) Aisle or Terrace Center Right (or Left) Aisle. Run your cursor over the seats above the side of the stage until you see those terms -- then look at the right side of your screen for an actual picture of the view. (I can't copy or download the pic to post it.)

You would choose those over-stage seats in order to get a panoramic view of many individual instruments as they play, AND you should get good, close-up sound.

If you primarily want good sound and feel the view is secondary (I prefer a close-up view from the side), then get seats on the main floor, generally around 10 rows back from the front for best sound (I'm not familiar with this auditorium) or the lower balcony.

As I say, I like the side terrace view and sonics, at least at Strathmore in Bethesda, MD.

Larry

I've noted your interest in that genre. King Crimson's Robert Fripp stated 10ish years ago (and I'm paraphrasing here) that metal was the only truly innovative thing happening in the rock realm. Fripp was prog-metal before the term probably ever existed, and I understand why he said that.

That is something I seemed to noticed. After listening to something truly awe-inspiring such as the Project Creation or the Ayreon albums, than listening to something being played on Top-40 radio, I am just amazed at how banal and truly vapid the mainstream music scene as truly become in the past few years or so. Oh yeah, I am quite familier with Robert Fripp and his work.

Your expliots are truly a music lab in progress. It's really good to be able to get that close to the proceedings and meet the musicians and crews. While Phish doesn't fit this level of intimacy, much of the music I see does.....many smaller shows and events where the up close and personal is probable.

Most importantly, though, I like the independent scene, which affords more "up close and personal" opportunities, as well as a truly free platform of expression, where the audience determines what succeeds - and not some corporate suit.

Indeed! It really is cool to see some of these musicians that seem to come out of nowhere and just blows me away with thier musicianship and talent. There are some really interesting things that I've heard in this scene. Take bands such as Leprous, or Arcturus, or even Diablo Swing Orchestra, and you'll see/hear some truly innovative and unique sounds and performances there. At the last ProgPower during the "after show" party that typically takes place in the court-yard of the Artmore hotel that is right next to the venue, I must've spend I don't know, how many hours just chatting with the lead singer from Leprous. Really cool guy that just loves what he does and cares about the music and treats it as the artform that it really is.

And about intimit shows, this Jaxx nightclub that I like to go to a lot, which is just north of here in Springfield, VA. I am practically standing right on top of the band when I go to these shows. Sometimes, I actually gotta be careful when throwing the "devil horns" and what not, lest I accidently clunk the singer in the head (it's happened) or what not. One girl accidently knocked the guitar pick out of the guitarist's hand during one show. He just grabbed another off the mic stand and kept right on going - don't even think he missed a beat.

Case in point - the lead singer (Timo Kotipeltto) from a Stratovarious show a few years ago. I actually had to stand back to get that picture, as I was standing directly in front of the guy:

kotipelto-closeup.jpg

The Jamband scene is at times criticized (both externally and internally) because of the relative lack of new and original "blood" - a truly "new" sound or band that would be the next "big thing". But it still remains healthy, seemingly continuing to be pretty successful, even though the festival herd's been trimmed a bit in the last couple of years. While no one succeeded in knocking Phish off the throne, there are a host of smaller bands out there that play 1k - 5K venues regularly. The various "factions all "split off" on the smaller tours, then converge at fests large and small in summer. The newer jam acts offer a spread from bluegrass to lots of electronica, and DJ action has even begun to blend into the mix.

I tend to get my progmetalish fetish fed by a jamband called Umphrey's McGee, which is what might happen if Phish and King Crimson had a baby. They get you in a groove mode, then visit stints of shifting time signatures and progressive metal that is truly fresh and creative. I find them to be the best of that "second tier" of bands still playing smallish venues.

I can see what you mean. I guess many of those bands don't want to alienate to much of thier cult following, but that is just a hypothesis on my part. I have no way to prove that. However, I did go and check out this Umphrey's McGee band that you mentioned. Like I said above, never was much into these jam bands, but I'll have to admit that I really like a lot of what this Umphrey's McGee outfit has put out. I can see where you get some of the prog metal references, such as the track "Bright Lites, Big City" off thier The Bottom Half album. Certainly not near as heavy as what I am used to (listen to Section A's latest one, Sacrifice, and you'll see what I mean. For that matter, even James LaBrie's lastest solo effort - holy crap that friggan rips! [6]), but still pretty darn cool. This may be one outfit that I actually would not mind attending a show to see. I was checking it out on eMusic, as they have much of thier material available.

Hey cool thread. I practially live on Sirius Grateful Dead and Jam On channels and "do" all the festival music and jam bands like the Dead, Phish, Widespread, String Cheese, Umphreys, Moe.....plus all "the rest". I barely even play CD's anymore unless they are live recordings of the same. I have always been a Deadhead which fueled the jamband scene as I got older, but I grew tired of the predictable studio recorded sounds after I'd played CDs a couple of times. I got tired of trying to listen to my system instead of the music and found something inspiring about not knowing what's coming next or hearing music being created by a group "in the moment" that I could enjoy. Listening live has also exposed me to different genres that I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Many different genres actually get "spun" into the jamband scene.

Among some live shows I saw in 2010, I was lucky enough to see Phish this year on July 3rd in Atlanta which was just an incredible performance.

I have spent the better part of 30+ years trying to come home from these type of events (mostly Dead shows) and be able to turn on my system and have it sound in "that big system live concert ballpark". Finally over the last year or two I can honestly say I am just about there to my satisfaction. Of course the last 30+ years it has always been with various models of Klipsch and a streaming changeout of other components. Now that I am using the MCM-3 Grand system and some vintage Mac refurbs I am happily satisfied to leave things alone and simply play whatever good live stuff might be out there when I turn things on. Maybe some current stuff that recently happened or maybe an old Dead concert. Sirius Jam ON is a great way to stay tuned in on the whole "live festival" stuff if you ever get interested in it.

Case in point - the lead singer (Timo Kotipeltto) from a Stratovarious show a few years ago. I actually had to stand back to get that picture, as I was standing directly in front of the guy:

kotipelto-closeup.jpg

was he a good kisser?

I am well aware of the unamplified performances too - a symphony, jazz

Audible,

I like the idea of including a symphony experience. Based on experiences here in MD, I suggest you might get the most out of a concert in the CSym Orch's hall (dunno the name of it) in up-close-and-personal seats just over the side of the stage.

(......)

As I say, I like the side terrace view and sonics, at least at Strathmore in Bethesda, MD.

Larry

I do take in a local symphony on occasion, as well as jazz etc....ANYTHING totally acoustic. I see it as "eating my wheaties" in a manner of speaking....just to keep a grasp on what real instruments and voice sound like. One thing I have learned from this place is to hear what real intruments sound like in various environments as a regular habit. This is key in assessing how well MY systems convey music, because I'm not simply satisfied when the live Phish sounds good - the orchestras and the jazz combos must be just as good.

I must say that I never became a classical addict in any real sense. I DO appreciate it, though....I was a high school trombonist and choir member that never finished below runner up in State contest. I also took note of your forum gathering, where I recall you saw a performance of "The Planets" IIRC - a work I remember and love from hearing it years ago. Some version of "The Planets" will end up in my collection soon enough.

I haven't had much luck with attaching forum happenings with my other music travels, because that seems the only way I can make forum gatherings. I was looking to "attach" something else to that symphony gathering of yours and didn't quite take the leap (I am in Illinois). I have never made a Klipsch company gathering either, because I am always seeing music in the summertime - and have yet to be able to make Indy fit into the travel schedule. I've tried and something in the summer schedule always messes up the Klipsch weekend, because I can only take so much time off. And so it was with your gatherings....sure looked interesting but just not doable at the time.

But those classical threads and gatherings you posted about did stick here.......might go back and re-read some of those over the weekend...

Oh, and that theater looks AWESOME.

And so it was with your gatherings....sure looked interesting but just not doable at the time.

I can e-mail you a calendar of some local concerts I am recommending this season, but it looks like I can't attach docs to e-mails through the forum. So you may have to reply with your e-mail so I can send it. It's in MS Word or Word Perfect, whichever you prefer.

I'm not doing any more Strathmore fests because the National Philh. conductor unfortunately has closed the great side sections just above the stage for its concerts. The Planets concert was the BEST ever!

Please let me know if you see a good concert that matches up with your travel schedule. Garymd has noted a couple of interest, and I can ask others like Thebes (Marty) and Skonopa.

Larry

Hey cool thread. I practially live on Sirius Grateful Dead and Jam On channels and "do" all the festival music and jam bands like the Dead, Phish, Widespread, String Cheese, Umphreys, Moe.....plus all "the rest". I barely even play CD's anymore unless they are live recordings of the same. I have always been a Deadhead which fueled the jamband scene as I got older, but I grew tired of the predictable studio recorded sounds after I'd played CDs a couple of times. I got tired of trying to listen to my system instead of the music and found something inspiring about not knowing what's coming next or hearing music being created by a group "in the moment" that I could enjoy. Listening live has also exposed me to different genres that I probably wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Many different genres actually get "spun" into the jamband scene.

Among some live shows I saw in 2010, I was lucky enough to see Phish this year on July 3rd in Atlanta which was just an incredible performance.

I have spent the better part of 30+ years trying to come home from these type of events (mostly Dead shows) and be able to turn on my system and have it sound in "that big system live concert ballpark". Finally over the last year or two I can honestly say I am just about there to my satisfaction. Of course the last 30+ years it has always been with various models of Klipsch and a streaming changeout of other components. Now that I am using the MCM-3 Grand system and some vintage Mac refurbs I am happily satisfied to leave things alone and simply play whatever good live stuff might be out there when I turn things on. Maybe some current stuff that recently happened or maybe an old Dead concert. Sirius Jam ON is a great way to stay tuned in on the whole "live festival" stuff if you ever get interested in it.

I have found very good success with Cornwalls for lots of the festival bands - but for Grateful Dead in particular. The Phil/Mickey combo sound very "right" on the Cornwalls - the bass response seems very well balanced and true to thier sound....a very natural fit. Cornwalls are worth keeping for GD alone.

I can't go jubs or MCMs...and for my space just complete overkill. Cornwalls and Belles are PLENTY for my spaces (and about as big as I can realistically go), but in the right room I'll bet the MCMs could do some justice to live recordings......

Both ATL Phish shows this summer were juicy!!

And yes....LOTS of genres get spun into the jamband scene, which is why I have stayed so attached to it. You have rock, blues, jazz, prog, bluegrass, techno/"untz"/DJ....and all sorts of shades in between and various mixtures that almost any fetish gets "fed".