Ouch

Deang

Doesn't it just figure -- you get everything just the way you want it and then...

...you find out you owe the IRS $4500!

Yeesh. I took that 2nd job back in June, and man oh man -- I got burnt big time.

So where does a guy with 3 kids, $700 a month in child support to another 2 not living at home, a mortgage, and car payments get $4500?

Yep -- he starts selling off those pricey toys. I had considered getting a loan -- but with Debbie having gone part time to home school the kids, I felt it was fiscal suicide. So off to AudiogoN they went.

The Anthem CD-1 sold in a record 45 minutes. I got $850 for this 4 year old unit. Not bad. I got to use it for about $15 a month.

Before I posted the sale, I did some extensive listening with my Marantz DV-7010. This DVD/CD player originally listed for $899. I bought it as a discontinued item on clearance for $599. Though they are discontinued -- they are still around for about that same price.

Since I was strictly using it as a DVD player for movies -- I never really took any time to listen to CD's on it. When you have a $1700 CD player sitting on your rack -- what incentive is there to do so? I had maybe two or three times listened to a CD through it -- but found it a little lean sounding compared to the Anthem.

So, before selling off my beloved CD-1 -- I sat down for a few hours to some serious comparisons. Initially, I was not surpised. The Anthem had a more full bodied sound giving texture to the music that the Marantz lacked. I had no idea how I was going to bite the bullet and give this thing up.

The one thing I could say for the Marantz was that it somehow sounded 'cleaner' than the Anthem, with a nice shimmer on the cymbals -- and at least it didn't have the digital edge I was so accustomed to hearing on the lower end to middle CD players -- especially the Sony decks. I decided the only thing I was giving up was some of that full bodied sound one normally only expects to hear with vinyl. It's alot to give up though. However, I'm an expert at rationalization -- and decided the clean, incisive, punchy sound of the Marantz, could actually be pretty easy to live with.

Now it gets painful. I did manage to sell the Bryston on Wednesday -- so I'm left with two amps -- The Super Amp and the Anthem Amp1. The Amp1 has been floating out on AudiogoN for 45 days. I've received two emails about it since I listed it. It's not moving. However, I figure if I list the AE-25 -- it will certainly sell.

Selling the AE-25 and one of my handguns gets my tax liability taken care of. I unhook the amp. I'm not crying and this surprises me. I drag myself across the room and drag the 'POS' Anthem to the rack. I fire it up and let it warm for about 10 minutes. In goes the music. I sit down with the remote and brace myself. I press play, the music begins -- and it sounds...sounds...uhmm...well...it sounds good!

Not near as incisive as with the AE-25. There is body to the music again and the bottom is nice and fat. Not as defined as the AE-25 but nice nonetheless. I listen to four songs and put the CD-1 back in the loop. Thick. Too thick, and the lower midrange sounds somewhat homogenized. I decide the EL-34 based Amp1 and tubed output CD-1 also lacks some definition.

This sets off a flurry of activity. Back in goes the AE-25. The CD-1/AE-25 combo is wonderful. They complement each other perfectly. I try to mentally compare this combo to the Marantz/Amp1 combo. It's impossible. Back to the rack (due to the nature of this kind of torture -- it does not surprise me that we refer to them as 'the rack'). I wire the Amp1 back in. Again, the Marantz and the Amp1 sound great together. Time to draw some conclusions.

The AE-25/CD-1 combo had a slightly more refined sound and the midrange was certainly clearer with more space between the instruments. No question about this. If there was a weakness, it was in the body of the bass. Though quick and punchy -- it did not hang around long enough to give me that sense of real presence that bass is supposed to give. I tried in vain over the last month to integrate my LF-10 to offset this, but had given up altogether -- because I could just never get it to gel.

The Amp1/Marantz combo, though not quite as refined sounding -- still managed to sound very captivating. The lower midrange was a touch thick -- but the bass, though not as 'quick' sounding as the AE-25, has an 'all there' quality that works really well with the kind of music I usually listen too. The EL-34 ultralinear based Amp1 also added body and warmth back into the music and offset some of the incisiveness of the Marantz -- leaving the Marantz' razor edge cleanliness intact.

I was afraid I would be taking two giant steps back -- but what I found was simply a 1/2 step back and one off to the side. Not bad, and I get to pay my taxes.

Because of this, I was also able to hook the LF-10 back in. There is something in the quality or quantity of the bass with the Amp1 that allows me to dial in the sub seamlessly. With the AE-25, no matter what I did -- the sub seemed like a separate entity.

I have certainly formed some new, strong opinions regarding component matching.

At any rate, it was a good run -- but what I have left is still light years ahead of what I had a year ago, and only a moon's shot of what I'm giving up.

f>s>

------------------

S Frontiers/Anthem Amp1f>s>

Sonic Frontiers Line 1f>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-06-2002 at 02:47 PM

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Dean, you're a better citizen than me. A few years back the company I worked for relocated us from Oregon to CA. Paid for everything. House/car while we looked for a house to buy, closing costs, real estate fees, movers, the full giddyup. Or so I thought. When the end of the year rolled around, I found that this was included as 'taxable income'. Also found myself owing Uncle Samuel $5K. I suppose I could have started selling off goodies. In retrospect, that probably would have been the right thing to do. But I couldn't bear to part! So I just ignored the 'dunning'. After a few years of them seizing my yearly returns and rebates, I now owe a painless $300. Phew-ee.

------------------

Ed

I feel your pain deang... for your experience reminds me of my own unhappy days long gone. But, I admire you for using a time of material loss and transcend it into a gain in wisdom.

The wisdom that sets you free for future material gains and a happier life! Good fortune, friend. -HornED

John,

I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep the Peacekeeper. I'm considering taking out a small short term loan so I can keep it. Selling the Peacekeeper is worse than giving up the AE-25. I do most of my music listening in the winter -- when it warms up I like to shoot and throw darts.

In the event you are not a liberal jerking my chain and your comment was sincere -- you should check out American Western Arms at www.awaguns.com

Their version of the Peacekeeper is the real deal. Black powder frame, case hardened (not just colored), and a blue to die for.

These are cold forged with good 'ole American steel and then handfitted by defectors from the Colt Custom Shop.

Unbelievable amount of gun for the money.

f>s>

pic_peacekeeper_specs.jpg

pic_peacekeeper_plain.jpg

------------------

S Frontiers/Anthem CD-1f>s>

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>s>c>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 04-06-2002 at 09:45 PM

Rush is a Liberal! Not me! cwm4.gif

I'm also partial to Colts, but 1911s. The OACP makes a great tool for CCW.

The AWA Peacekeeper does look like a lot for the money. I understand a Custom Shop Colt goes for about $3500.

I have a little of everything from the attached BP replica to the 1911s mentioned.

p006198sq01.jpg

John

This message has been edited by John Albright on 04-06-2002 at 09:04 PM

Deang

I suggest you contact a lawyer. I too feel your pain, it took me years to recover from a Divorce.

I had a friend who was behind in taxes, he got a lawyer who struck a deal with the IRS. Dont know all the details, but I think he got 3 years to pay back A REDUCED amount interest free.

JM

Hey, I've got an old Colt like that around here somewhere,dean. I remember about 20 years ago a guy at a gunshop telling me to hang on to it.So I did.

Yeah,I gotta pay them too.$346.Might sell the Colt.

Good luck dean!

Keith

Now John be talking in a language I understand!!

Here is my Les Baer

cuscar.jpg

------------------

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

I love Ruger, there is better, but I can actually buy them for a reasionable price! A .40, 3, .22's, and rifles. HOWEVER, for my deer rifle, I went all out and get a Browning Stainless Stalker A-Bolt in .300 WSM (it is a new caliber, a shorter, more potent .300 Winchester Mag.) I also got a Zeiss scope, ouch, bug bucks (no pun intended, BUCKS, like money and deer!!!)

I have to say, some of the companies like S&W have had so-so quality lately, not too interseted. Ruger is solid engineering and affordable. Browning is the best (IMO) and VERY pricy. I will take a Weatherby...

Oh, there is no waiting period or hurdals in Nevada. This is a very pro-gun state. I love Nevada.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE 5 CENT AMMO TAX IN CALIFORNIA?s>

It would add $25.00 to a box of .22 ammo, that is FUBAR! Not in Nevada, I bet lots of people will come here to get ammo, MORE MONEY TO US UNCIVILIZED RED NECKS! HA!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ruger makes good weapons. Some of the models are bulky but they are reliable as hell. Looks come in second to reliability.

Smith is never getting my money again - ever.

Nice rifle you got there. I don't hunt -- so I never got into rifles. See any Bigfoot yet out there in the high Sierras?

I just always stuck with M1911's because of how they sit in my hand and the fact that I really understand the gun. I can take them all the way down - pins and all.

Nickel tax on ammo huh? I'm surprised they can even still buy ammo over there in feminazi controlled territory.

------------------

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

O.K.- So as long as were on a subject I have no problems keeping up with, here goes. Yes, I'm another Colt owner. But I use mine for IPSC competition. Here's the other money pit, A Colt Gold Cup Series 80 with some ad ons I did myself. Then a Dan Wesson 15-2VH Pistol Pak with a few internal mods as well.

Dean- I don't blame you for not wanting another S&W. Between the floating firing pins, single sided frame support on revolvers and having the thinnest top straps in the industry...I'll keep my SP101, KMK678GC, 10/22RB, Sig P228 (current house sentry), North American Arms NAA22LR, Rem 11-87, Rem 700ADL, Rem 541T-HB, Sterling HR83(air rifle).

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Colt.JPG

DanWesson.JPG

Alright, so the pics are a little big and there's a lot of dust on my scannercwm4.gif

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-09-2002 at 09:29 AM

Beautiful weapons -- very nice. The Gold Cup is gorgeous. I always liked Dan Wessons. Smooth looking with good fit and finish.

You're down in Cincy -- where do you shoot IPSC? I always wanted to get into that but just never got around to making time to do it.

Moderators are going the $hit a brick when they see this thread.

------------------

Cary AE-25 SuperAmpf>s>

Marantz DV-7010f>s>

Klipsch LF-10f>s>

Klipsch RF7'sf>s>

MIT/Monsterf>s>

Toshiba 36"f>s>

Man that sucks !!! Do you know that the IRS really has reasonable interest rates. Why didn't you just make payments as long as you file that you owe them and send something every month they don't penalize and the the interest is dirt. Unless of coarse another payment is out of the question. I'd have to be way more desperate before I would sell my prized toy's owing Uncle Sam really isn't all that big of a deal. Been there and done it many times.

Well good luck and look at it this way now you get to buy new stuff all over again which is half the fun.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Dean-

I used to go to Camp Perry but that was YEARS ago. Hell, I was only in Class C.

Here's one more. It's one of the last fully Belgium produced Bowning P-35 Hi-Powers. Gee, my first semi-auto. GRN

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Browning.JPG

How do you guys get the pics to be so small cause I know I just ruined everyone's screen-width.

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-06-2002 at 11:58 PM

TO ALL: Very nice guns! They all look mint (or near it!) I pride myself in keeping my guns in excellent condition. Thats why the last ~6 guns I have bought have been stainless!

Yes, the nickel tax would be imposed on ALL ammo, so .22, .40, 30-06, etc. If they could, for real, they would FLAT OUT BAN ANY GUNS IN CALIFORNIA. The ammo tax is just a way of making gun ownership more undesirable and difficult. It is a ***** to get a gun there anyway. Hmmm, why do all the good gun shows come to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas...?

The tax is to "fund" trauma centers for "GUN (key word for ****** politicians) related injuries." In other words, guns and responsible gun owners are the scapegoats for TRASH committing crime and going through the revolving doors of justice.

This is a matter I have literally researched, so I know what the deal is. It is a big game on the Left to make the big, bad gun owners lose their right to have firearms. I find it disgusting. Even if you are pro gun control, once they get these sorts of laws passed, MORE will come and affect our lives more and more. Imagine NO vehicles in California being allowed to get less than 30 miles per gallon. Say bye-bye to trucks, muscle cars, vans, etc. Well, let all the restriction laws get passed and it may soon be a reality

Also, even though it will not pass, a bill has been proposed that would make the following illegal:

-Building your own computer, from parts or anything.

-Modifying the one that was sold to you by an authorized reseller.

-Connecting a computer to a network (internet) that was not build by the approved companies.

Would anyone here find a law like this desirable? That means ALL your computers would be illegal now, as they are not approved. Can you believe bullshit like this exists? It sure does

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Kenratboy

It appears my last umpteen word riposte regarding your warning has wound up floating about in the aether - only to be seen again when a senior World Government operative decides that the appropriate time has come.

What proof have you of this latest assault on our freedoms?

I keep seeing stories about alligators in the New York sewers and Cadillacs selling for $ 200.00 because people have died and decomposed in them. I am also aware of a so-called bill that would cause a 5 cent tax to be imposed on every email message sent or received within the United States - (The so called bill number does not- and cannot exist as the number quoted in the umpteen email "alerts" does not even approximate the numbering system in use by either the US Congress or the US Senate).

I suggest that you consider whether or not your sources actually exist and if so whether they can be considered reliable.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

KRboy-

It requires a court order to tap your phone.

You cannot *make* your own phone legally, they are FCC controlled. No such law is in place to *tap* your computer. The proposed bills (the ones I am aware of) make it a felony to modify computers to monitor the keystrokes of another computer from a remote location. the bills regualate PCs the same way telephones are regulated.

TTK-

The beltbuckle did come with the pak. You can barely see a corner of it since the patch is sitting on top of it (lower right). Me, like an idiot at the time, wore it for about a week and got some scratches on it. Value isn't much these days (or ever was). I think it would probably bring about 6 or $700. The serial number is fairly low. I haven't been able to find a price for a Pistol Pak lately, just adding the individual prices together, bbls., stocks, the frame w/ 8" attached. D.W.s never really did bring a whole lot of trading value, not sure why. O.k., so it's not a Smith. I'm glad! DW did go into bankruptcy a couple of times but there were just some people that didn't like the interchangable bbls. Quite frankly I think they were/are stronger than most others. It was the only revolver at the time whose bbl. was supported from the front AND the back.

Dan Wesson Firearms

I do have the belt buckle for the North American Arms. Now that thing is a machinists dream! The cylinder would take forever to make.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 04-09-2002 at 09:33 AM