Old school Heritage, center and sub suggestions.

shelbygt

Newbie here...

Putting together a room for home theater and musical enjoyment. It measures approximately 26x19. Amplifier is a B&K AVR 307 along with 2 Klipschorns and 4 La Scalas. Any suggestions on a compatible center channel? I see the Belle is no longer available.

Also looking sub suggestions. I'm thinking 12 inch, given the room size. I like to listen to music as well as home theater.

I agree with Budman.

Also, regarding subs... with stuff like what you have, you might need to 'go big'. I've heard nothing but raves over the Danley DTS-10 sub. I've gone to hear it twice, once at their factory and once at someones home. Both times I was thwarted by unrelated issues and I never heard/felt it.

There are some on this forum who have heard them and at least one who has two of them and seems to love it.

Also looking sub suggestions. I'm thinking 12 inch, given the room size. I like to listen to music as well as home theater.

I agree with Richard (Coytee) - a horn-loaded sub like the DTS-10 (Danley - and check Audiogon for a pre-owned listing), TH-SPUD (DIY or Danley), or perhaps a Tuba design (Bill Fitzmaurice's DIY design) would probably be your best bet in a room of the size that you quoted. The problem is that most direct-radiating subs just cannot produce the quality and quantity of low bass that you will need to complement your Khorns in a room that size.

How high is your ceiling?

Chris

You already have a fantastic 6-chanel system. Use a La Scala as center and the other as single rear surround!

As for the sub, the DTS-10 is one of the best but much more expensive than any 12-inch you would have been considering (about 3K, plus an amplifier). There are lots of options if you like DIY (Inifite Baffle or IB, tapped horn SPUD clone used as a riser, horn-loaded Tuba HT in regular or low profile version.

EDIT: As you can tell, I was composing while the previous post was posted. [A]

I'd go 6.1 if I already had all that gear! You won't be missing anything.

Your room size (depending on ceiling height) and the capabilities of your other speakers dictate that you can't play around with average subs! I've got the pair of Danley's matched with my three LaScala's, and they can outpace them even if you are a bass nut! But that's what you want, it means you're running with lots of headroom.

I've also heard the Khorns with LS center and two of the DIY Tubas that Peter suggested. It was intense as well! And much cheaper.

• Moderators

I'd go 6.1 if I already had all that gear! You won't be missing anything.

I agree, it's what I did (different speakers ), There is not alot out there with more than 5.1, also with the speakers your using you would not miss out on anything. imo

I also agree with NOT using a direct radiator sub, use some type of folded horn or tapped horn to match the sound of those Heritage, it just works better, also IMO.

It will sound great, no doubt. [Y]

tapped horn SPUD clone used as a riser

Actually, I'd recommend using the SPUD in a corner, not as a riser. And note that the total cost of materials for the SPUD is about $200 as a DIY, even using Baltic Birch ply.

If you can build it, than I'd recommend building two - they really don't take a lot to drive them in terms of Watts/channel. The SPUDS have a nice form factor to fit behind your Khorns, thus allowing you to move the Khorns forward about a foot and in the process potentially getting much better stereo imaging from them.

Direct radiator subs typically take a lot more amp Watts to drive properly.

Chris

tapped horn SPUD clone used as a riser

Actually, I'd recommend using the SPUD in a corner, not as a riser. And note that the total cost of materials for the SPUD is about $200 as a DIY, even using Baltic Birch ply.

If you can build it, than I'd recommend building two - they really don't take a lot to drive them in terms of Watts/channel. The SPUDS have a nice form factor to fit behind your Khorns, thus allowing you to move the Khorns forward about a foot and in the process potentially getting much better stereo imaging from them.

Direct radiator subs typically take a lot more amp Watts to drive properly.

Chris

That's interesting. Did you tell me that when I was picking which sub to build? I haven't heard my Tuba HT yet; it's in the van outside and it's been raining all day. The access cover flanges are not yet installed, nor is the driver, but I am close. But I now realise how bing this is going to be in the room. Perhaps a SPUD clone or two along a wall would have been a better choice for me.

Anyway, what I have now IS a 12-inch regular sub. It does okay if you don't want to reach reference level LFE in movies, but still get loud enough to be convincing. You don't absolutely need a sub for music with Klipschorns either. But within a week I'll be able to fully appreacite the comparison between such a sub and a 15-inch horn-loaded sub.

In reading through the replies here, I might come off as an idiot here, but here goes.....

By 6.1 I'm guessng you're talking about using two La Scalas as center forward/rear with a sub?

Can you help me with notion of DIY SPUDS? I'm no stranger to danger when it comes to DIY. I'm no Rockefeller, I built my house. Are there plans out there to build a sub to complement the Khorns?

Also......

I thought the La Scala was designed to be a corner speaker, the Belle a center? Does an enclosure or something need to be built around it to make it work well as a center?

While I'm sure that the La Scala benefits from being in a corner, it doesn't need one. Here's my setup (I need to update the picture as I am a bit further along that that picture shows in my room build): http://picasaweb.google.com/p.galbraith/BasementHTRoomInProgress#

In reading through the replies here, I might come off as an idiot here, but here goes.....

By 6.1 I'm guessng you're talking about using two La Scalas as center forward/rear with a sub?

Can you help me with notion of DIY SPUDS? I'm no stranger to danger when it comes to DIY. I'm no Rockefeller, I built my house. Are there plans out there to build a sub to complement the Khorns?

That's we mean mean by 6.1

The commercial version is detailed here: http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/tapped_horn.asp?MODEL=TH%20SPUD

There are leaked plans around the net. Not instructions, but a simple layout. It looks very esay to build. A more complicated build is the Tuba HT, an example of which is shown on my web page given in my previous post. It is detailed here: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

I thought the La Scala was designed to be a corner speaker, the Belle a center? Does an enclosure or something need to be built around it to make it work well as a center?

The Belle is a prettier and wider/shallower La Scala (the Belle only 18 5/8" deep instead of the La Scala's 24 1/2 " deep) . It fits the room between Khorns a little nicer because of that, but otherwise the bass cutoff frequency (Fc) is essentially the same as the La Scala's. However, the La Scala apparently has slightly better bass performance other than Fc. Both designs were developed to be used either in a corner or along a wall, just like the Cornwall.

Chris

I also have a pair of the DTS 10's..........

After fooling with speakers for most of my 61 years, I have found the best subs that I have ever listened to. The sound is nothing short of the word "IMPACT"...! While they are expensive, I and a few others, were fortunate enough to acquire the kits for these monsters, when they were first introduced. That being said, there are other kits out there that offer great sound, at a very reasonable cost. The TUBA is a great project and would be fun to build. With K Horns and La Scalas, a 12" sub would be lost in the space and would never provide the THUMP that you would be looking for. The Heritage line is SO clean you will need to find something that will compliment them on the low end and something that will keep up with the efficiency. There are also some great commercial sub "deals" offered on soundbroker.com

JMO....W. C.

"If you can build it, than I'd recommend building two - they really don't take a lot to drive them in terms of Watts/channel. The SPUDS have a nice form factor to fit behind your Khorns, thus allowing you to move the Khorns forward about a foot and in the process potentially getting much better stereo imaging from them."

How would you go about building SPUDS behind the Khorns (assume you mean Klischorns), which I'm using as my mains? What is used as a source, is the signal to the Klipschorns split?

Also someone asked about ceiling height, which is a 9'2" suspended ceiling (seems I'm always running wires or playing).