My DIY subwoofer project

Rudy81

Have you posed the temp issue question over at "The Cult"? I'm farther south than you and it's really a non issue for me.

Yes, I have been on that forum asking lots of questions as well. Two issues are of concern for me. One is the temperature issue which would be more of a problem for me since my ceiling is only 9' high and much 'closer' than the nice setup you have.

Second, the slope of the actual roof above the room causes the IB to be places a good 10' or more 'into' the room, almost right on top of the sitting position.....making problem number one more of a problem.

After several weeks looking into a DIY design and quite a few e-mails and calls to various folks much smarter than I, the decision is....the tapped horn based on the SPUD design. I will be making two TH subs for my room. I have the 4 drivers on the way. I picked up a Behringer ep4000 to power the duo and have 5 sheets of 18mm BB in the shop waiting for me.

Today I cut a 'pattern' to make the whole process easier. The template idea came from reading another thread on a SPUD like, tapped horn build. The template will allow me to dado slots for all the internal pieces that are exactly the same. It should make the process much easier to put together. I will be posting pictures of the build as I go along.

• Like 1

I will start posting pictures shortly. Google search yielded about three or so SPUD like builds and two Super SPUD Kit builds. The kit builds gave me some good ideas, as did reading the other DIY builds.

My goal is to have a substantial subwoofer system that can keep up with my DBBs and Klipsch Pro effects speakers. Right now my SVS 20-39 PC+ is doing the best it can, but in a 5000 cu. ft. room, it has a tough time. I really liked the SVS and it have given me many years of reliable service. I want a subwoofer system that can take the entire LFE signal from my pre/pro, from 125Hz and below to as low as it can output. The amp should be more than enough based on the efficiency of the tapped horn. I will be using my spare Behringer DCX-2496 to handle any crossover, time, phase and EQ needs.

One of the most helpful threads on the actual build has been this one: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/172025-th-spud.html

The pattern, or template, idea is outstanding. I have had difficulty getting a 3/4" pattern bit to cut the dados and have had to order one online. I spent all day yesterday running around Dallas looking for that bit. Nobody carries it, including the local Rockler store. I also ordered an 18mm rabbeting bit so I can cut the edges just right.

Be advised, I'm a novice wood worker, so I'm sure I will make many mistakes or take the long route to get something done. My only other experience on something like this was my DBB build. The good news is I purchased good tools for that build and now they will come in handy.

First thing was to cut the template 45"x48". I used an inexpensive 3/4" piece of plywood. I drew my approximation of the design as best I could get from the drawings available online. I checked the measurements three times. Twice yesterday and once today to ensure I didn't make any mistakes.

post-10337-13819634151174_thumb.jpg

I used my plunge router with a 3/8" straight router to create the template. I measured the fence distance on the fly for each cut rather than take the time to make some sort of jig. Problem with a jig is that the cuts are at an angle, so your standard jig may not work as easily as you would like. I'm sure good woodworkers can make suggetions on how t make this process easier.

post-10337-13819634152984_thumb.jpg

Used a scrap piece of 18mm Baltic Birch to ensure my cuts were correct. I did make the slots slightly larger than the BB in case any of the interior pieces are not perfectly straight. I want to simplify the process later on as much as possible.

post-10337-13819634153814_thumb.jpg

Amazing job! Why am I getting the urge to build? Surprise

Happens to me every time I see a DIY thread. We'll see how it turns out. I'll be taking my time and trying to ensure I get as good a seal on the horn as possible. Fun for me since I'm learning how to use a router etc.

I spent quite a bit of time discussing the various builds and eventually the TH with Mike Hurd. He was a great help and he came up with a way that may just give me the best performance allowing both subs to work as one. Mike drew a picture for me of where I will first place them. I hope to take some frequency sweeps outside after the build and then in my room once I get them up there.

Mike calculated that at the frequencies we are working with, both horns will work as one. I may have to do some phase tweaking, but that should be easy with the DCX2496

As you can see they will lie flat, next to my La Scala between the DBBs.

post-10337-13819634156638_thumb.jpg