My DIY subwoofer project

Rudy81

You guys ever heard of the dual zoned bass array? It's basically an approach that uses the room as a transmission line by using enough subs up front to guarantee a plane wave, and then another array of subs in the rear of the room taps the waveguide to cancel reflections off the rear wall....thus completely getting rid of all modes everywhere in the room.

Pete, as I sit here enjoying a glass of Glenfiddich, I realize your power of deduction sucks! Big Smile

I'm 52, so a little respect for your elders please!

Now, its not just lugging the beasts upstairs. The trick is that you are not allowed to damage, hit, rub on, puncture, or in any way fold, spindle or mutilate any of the doors, walls, stair steps, hand rails, or other house decoration! Lest you wish to test the ire of the Lady of the house. Being a single man, you may not understand that yet, but you likely will.

Having said that, I think you've had enough Jamison for the evening.

Good night.

1. You sir are correct, but am I not allowed 1 fault? ( I did call you Sir, now that you've corrected me[:P])

2. I've tested it 2x and lost both times which is why I have an iron clad prenuptial agreement(better than Tiger's) just in case I decide to get stupid again.

3. Yes, and that's all I have to say about that.

4. They are all good nights when I'm here and learning (and having a bit of fun) (you have to read that with a Scottish accent and it's much better material)

Your a good man Rudy and thank you for keeping me focused on building more audio equipment ,
"You Old Fart" I hope you're laughing as I'm glad I've had the chance to get to know you.[Y] and that was sincere. I may be 45, but I totally look like and can perform like a 42 year old.

Mike, sorry I hadn't answered. For some reason I am no longer getting e-mail notification of a response. Strange.

Anyway, I'm sure head to head the K1 might be a slightly better amp if I was using it for high frequencies. I felt the difference would be minimal for LF and the difference in temperature is huge. That K1 got toasty during a movie or two and was a major pain during the Texas summers. The EP4000 runs totally cool and almost silent with the new fans I installed. I did some listening today and really could not discern any major sound quality issues.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys ever heard of the dual zoned bass array?

Is this it? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837744
Here is a rough translation of the German article mentioned in the avsforum thread (enclosed here as a pdf file). Note that Google translate doesn't always capture the essence of the original text, and some effort was made on my part to complete the translation into English, with the accompanying caveats on that process.

Chris

tmt2002_eng.pdf

• 2 years later...

Rudy, I am considering building a couple of these, and I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I am just now starting the research, and have read the threads of your yours on other forums, and ones of others. I have got some very useful information. I am going to start at the beging, and may even start my own thread once I really get going, which may not be until later this year. But on your notes for the jig, you stated something along the lines of using a 1/4' dado bit with your router as apposed to a 3/8" router bit, why is this. Second after you cut the jig what bit did you actually use for the dadoes on the side pieces, was it one of those bits with the ball bearing on top of the flute as apposed to a flush bit on the bottom.

Thanks

Duder.

Oh and I hope you don't mind me hijacking this a little.

Could you give me a link to the area you are mentioning regarding the dado?

I used the bits with the bearing on top of the flute.

Definately start your own thread when you get ready, since this one is already long and will be difficult to read the whole thing. Place a link here once you get started.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/142332.aspx?PageIndex=9

After rereading, I think what you meant was that since it was hard to find 3/4" bits you would just go with a 1/4" and make several cuts, but I don't know.

I found this on the bay, and thought about giving it a try. As it is a 1/4" deep 3/4" wide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140896925032?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I remember now. What I was trying to suggest, was that it would be easier to use a 1/4" template, like luan or thinner plywood. Since I used 3/4" plywood, it made the bit selection very difficult since you have to account for the depth of the plywood template when selecting a router bit that will be long enough to reach the work piece, yet keep the bearing on the template.

I would use a luan template or something no thicker than 3/4".

The template will be critical to a successful outcome. In my case, since I made two subs, the template was a huge time saver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators
I really hate these threads. They give me the itch to build another sub but don't have a place (or use) for one.

Why did someone point me to this thread? I'm starting to itch all over. :D Awesome build Rudy and you have an amazing room. I just purchased 3 LaScalas and am loving it. Because of the purchase, I'm now going to redesign my entire front wall and likely replace my RSW-15 with some form of DIY Sub similar to yours. There are so many options, kinda lost on where to begin. Would love your input in my Recommended Sub for LaScalas Trio thread since you have a somewhat similar setup.

• Like 1