To XPA-3 or not to XPA-3

nezff

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the amp and the amount of watts its putting out. a receiver puts off heat just like an amp...because a receiver has an amp in it. Seperate amps like the xpa-5 have large torroids and power supplies and will certainly put off heat. WIll it heat a closet or cabinet, yeah, of course it depends on size.

Will it affect your electric bill? Well it depends, all bnecause the XPA-5 for example can produce 1000 watts of power doesnt mean its producing that much power all of the time. Any electric you use will be reflected in your monthly electric bill, would it be more than like 10-20 bux for your amp, probably not at all, unless you are blasting it for long periods of time or just leave your gear on constantly and almost abuse it.

If I run 7 channels, how do I assess the quesiton of whether to get a 3, 5, or 7 channel amp? Does this just come down to cash? Seemsl ike the options would be A. Get 3 Channel if you want to keep exisiting receiver to power other channels and save money. B. Get 7 channel (and pre) to get all power from amp. Realize there are other configs, but this seems to keep it simple.

• 4 months later...

Might be a stupid question, but can you get the XPA-5 and only use 2 channels at times? Sometimes I just want to run my main speakers for 2 channel stereo and sometimes I want all 5 channels for 5.1 movies. Hopefully you can because it seems like a waste to buy XPA-2 and another XPA-3 to make that work!

Might be a stupid question, but can you get the XPA-5 and only use 2 channels at times? Sometimes I just want to run my main speakers for 2 channel stereo and sometimes I want all 5 channels for 5.1 movies. Hopefully you can because it seems like a waste to buy XPA-2 and another XPA-3 to make that work!

Remember, the only stupid question is the one not asked.[;)]

Yes, yes, yes. Just switch your receiver to stereo mode and voila'. Using a dedicated 2-channel amp(mfr. and model dependant) might bring better musicality and instrument seperation than a multichannel amp but I do understand that the XPA-5 handles 2-channel very well.

Bill

I am currently debating whether or not to sell my XPA3 and Onkyo876 and get the new Onkyo 3008 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The only reason I am considering this is to save space. Honestly I feel like the Klipsch are so efficient, that they dont sound that much different/better with the xpa3 or not. Any advice from you guys would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

Just curious on this: you state in the original post that you feel like the xpa3 doesn't change your sound quality for your klipsch. Why would you then spend $1600 on a 5508 and $900 on a xpa-5 when you could have got essentially equal sound quality out of a 5008 for $1600? I'm not asking to stir the pot. I just bought an onkyo 3007 and was planning on getting the xpa5 soon. Don't want to waste $900 on an amp if my sound quality is not going to be markedly improved.

This was 6 months ago bro. I was honestly debating on the cost vs performance ratio. I was debating on using just a receiver back then. Now there is no way I would go back to a avr mainly because of the heat. I only paid $1500 for the 5508 and $699 for the xpa5. I'm glad I didn't go with the 3008 or 5008. I'm sure they are great avrs but I definately live this combo.

Yeah I saw the dates. I also know where your system has gone and it has inspired alot if the choices I have made. I was surprised when I read your first post so I just had to ask that's all. No offense intended bro. Does emotive offer a money back guarantee if your not happy? If so I may order the xpa5 soon. Glad to hear you like yours and again you seem to have a beautiful room and great setup

Just not a lot of head room with an

avr powering everything. I would say at 1-10 watts per channel the sound is

probably pretty close. (Good avr vs power amp) but after that imo it’s not even

close.

If you watch movies at reference

levels regardless of the speakers or the room size imo separates will be a noticeable

upgrade.

Yeah. I was gonna just sell them off before I even tried them because after unboxing the first I saw just how big they are. But I couldn't resist trying them so they are in play now. Using my rf62ii's as surrounds for now and have the 3007 up and running. Still gotta do the initial audyssey set up. I also picked up a pair of dsp 3200's. Probably gonna return them for the 3400's though.