To XPA-3 or not to XPA-3

nezff

I am currently debating whether or not to sell my XPA3 and Onkyo876 and get the new Onkyo 3008 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32. The only reason I am considering this is to save space. Honestly I feel like the Klipsch are so efficient, that they dont sound that much different/better with the xpa3 or not. Any advice from you guys would greatly be appreciated.

thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to update my receiver as well in the next few months. I have been back and forth on a Amp/receiver combo or just a receiver too. The Receiver will obviously come first and my thinking in similar to yours as in do I actually need a separate amp? Of course if money was no object it would be any easy decision. I think the differences would be subtle with my bad ears, but having a big amp driving everything definately wins the cool factor. As far as brands go, I have been disapointed looking at bench tests done on big name receivers and seeing how they fall short on the power numbers (some are really short!) when driven with 5 speakers or more. Most of the big receivers keep shedding pounds and the manus keep posting more power which also concerns me. If I was in your shoes I would set the XP-3 aside and see if your ears actually miss it. If they dont I would check actual tests done on the receiver I liked and listen to it before I pulled the trigger. Some of the 120-140 watt a channel receivers can barely pull off 60 -70 watts X 5 channels.

I just read your equipment list and it immeddiately hit me that I have seen pictures of your theater posted here. Oh and your location listed helped. Very nice setup you have. Personally, If I had your setup I would keep the XPA-3 as well. Even if you dont use it you still have the meat and potatoes on hand to slap a listener around if needed :)

I went from the internal amps on a Denon 4306 to XPA-3 up front with AVR amps to the rear. Much different. I now use a XPA-5 all around, sold the Denon and bought a pre/pro. Keep the amp, find something to use for the rears (UPA perhaps) and invest in a pre/pro. Next time you get the upgrade bug it'll just be the pre/pro.

I've been on the fence too and would like to pick up the UMC1 however I can't get a XPA-5 because they are out of stock. :( I've had nothing with disappointment from receivers I've owned because they always come up short on power. Probably some of the problem is that I've never had a *really* expensive one with a lot of ka-pow. But even so, when that receiver technology gets outdated you have to swap the whole thing, amp and all. I think I am sold on the pre/pro and amp.

• 2 weeks later...

subxero, how are you liking the UMC? All I read is bugs and problems.

Hi nezff. I know you asked subxero but I'll throw in my two cents because you may have read posts Xki and I have made back and forth discussing the UMC-1, talking about problems and things we'd like to change on a different thread here.

Overall I'm very happy with the UMC-1. I was on the pre-order list and passed on it at first but bought one right before Christmas because it sounds like its a lot more solid than when it was released. The sound quality is great and it is such a flexible piece of equipment to work with that I truly enjoy owning it. There still are some bugs to be worked out but nothing that I can't live with if they can't be fixed by a firmware upgrade down the road. I think Emo's reputation as far as pre/pros is on the line with the UMC-1 and with the XMC-1 on the way as well I think they will continue to fix and improve it. I post about problems because thats what I'd like to figure out a fix for, all the stuff thats going great/sounding great probably doesn't get posted enough on the internet. The squeaky wheel is all you hear.

I've never owned the Reference series of Klipsch but it seems I read time and time again that even though they are very efficient they love power so I'd run them without the amp for a while and see if they are still as dynamic as they are now with the amp before you sell. Unless of course selling the amp is needed to fund the next purchase then thats a hard choice.

Well funds are always gonna be the main problem. lol Basically I have three to four options Im throwing around.

1.Sell 876, Sell XPA3 around $900-$1000 for both. Buy a NR1007 and XPA5 for $1376 shipped. Out of pocket around $400-$500

2.Sell 876, Sell XPA3-$900-$1000. Buy NR3008 to run everything, Out of Pocket=$50-$200

3.Sell 876, Sell XPA3-$900-$1000. Buy NR3008 and XPA5 $1850shipped, Out of Pocket=$800-$900

4.Sell 876, Keep XPA3, Buy 3008 $1149 Out of Pocket=$500-$600

I've got the XPA-5. I bought it because I figured if I ever went to a pre/pro I'd better get one amp to run the whole set up due to space limitations I had at the time. It was also cheaper than buying the XPA-3 then and having to add a UPA-2 or XPA-2 later to get 5 channels covered.

With RF 62s as surrounds if you listen to music then the XPA-5 might be justifiable (maybe not needed but might help you justify it to yourself. I do this a lot with this hobby!) but if you really focus more on HT and plan to buy a receiver instead of a pre/pro I'd just let the receiver do the rears and keep the XPA-3. Since I replaced my Forte IIs in the rear with KG 2.5s after buying a new house I feel like 2 of the channels on the XPA-5 kind of go to waste for what I use it for, but its bought and paid for and who knows down the road what will charge. Your XPA-3 is bought and paid for, might as well keep it and use it and put your upgrade money for your receiver. If you're considering option 3, I have to wonder if you really think you'd be happy with option 2. I've got to think you decided that a receiver's internal amps aren't as good as a separate amp already or you wouldn't have already bought the XPA-3. The NR3008 does look like a beast on paper but seems like receivers fall short in reality. You've got a tough choice.

I think I'm gonna ahead and sell the xpa3. I'm going to use those funds to buy the xpa5. I will the turn my attention to either getting a pre pro or avr. I'm interested in onkyo 3008, denon 4311, marantz 7005 avr or preamp. Didn't really look at Yamaha or pioneer because no audyssey.

• Moderators

There are several threads of people asking about to amp or not to amp. Shouldn't be too difficult to sell the XPA-3. They have a great reputation and a high demand. Post it in the Emotiva Emporium and it's sure to sell quickly. Those guys are always looking to buy used Emo gear.

I think I'm gonna ahead and sell the xpa3. I'm going to use those funds to buy the xpa5. I will the turn my attention to either getting a pre pro or avr. I'm interested in onkyo 3008, denon 4311, marantz 7005 avr or preamp. Didn't really look at Yamaha or pioneer because no audyssey.

Do you have 5 channel or 7 channels? If you have 7 channels, why are you only gettting a 5 channel amp and not a 7 channel?

With the XPA-5 you'll have all your bases covered if you do go pre/pro so thats always good. I only suggested keeping the XPA-3 because all your options had a receiver in them. But now you're saying either getting a pre pro or avr so XPA-5 is probably a better choice. You should call Emo and order it now while its still out of stock, I bet when they come in they'll go fast. I doubt they'll charge your credit card until it ships so no harm in doing it early.

I don't have 7 channels nor do I want them. I have five.

If you only have 5 channels (and will stay that way), then why would you consider buying a 5 channel amp as well as a receiver? Why not just couple the amp with a pre? Do you get more power if you combine an amp with a receiver? Or is the receiver power just overrode by the amp? Would you want the receiver in case you want to move to another room later?

• Moderators

Do you get more power if you combine an amp with a receiver?

Nope, AVR is sending signal, power is determined by the amp

Or is the receiver power just overrode by the amp?

Amp is hooked to the preout section of the receiver so the internal amps in the receiver are bypassed.

It always bugged having my receivers amps sitting there unused for hours on end when I used my receiver as a pre/pro. I'm sure in reality it doesn't hurt anything, and probably doens't used a lot more power than a pre/pro would but it bugged me...

Not a reason to upgrade to a pre/pro just saying.