Which Bass Bins with Khorn Tophats

jcmusic

I have been very happy with my build of JC's DBB. So much so, that I sold my Khorns. I'm curious as to why you want to stay with the Khorn top section. Judging by the great interest in 2" horns and drivers it seem more folks are moving away from the stock Khorn top section for other options.

I have been very happy with my build of JC's DBB. So much so, that I sold my Khorns. I'm curious as to why you want to stay with the Khorn top section. Judging by the great interest in 2" horns and drivers it seem more folks are moving away from the stock Khorn top section for other options.

Hi Rudy,

I already have 2" drivers and 2" horns, I thought you knew that.

Jay

Jay, I knew about the 2" horns, but when you mentioned Khorn 'tophat', I didn't know if you were talking stock or not. The Khorn bass bin is certainly not the weakest part, at least if the back is properly sealed. However, in my case I longed for more of that direct 'chest thumping' slam rather than that 'all around - room filling' bass my Khorns were producing.

For me, the DBB was the way to go....at least for the time being. You know how this hobby is....the constant pursuit of perceived perfection.

The absolute biggest benefit I got from going with the DBB was the new placement of the main speakers. They are now quite a bit away from the front and side walls and are giving me some outstanding imaging and sound stage. Much better than I was ever able to achieve with my Khorns eventhough I had false corners on them and had them toed in and a foot or so away from the walls.

There are certainly plenty of bass bins that you can use in your system. I would start by looking at how you wish to set your crossover and then find a bass bin that will fit your top section. I have experimented quite a bit with my DBB and actually have them crossed higher than I need to, but like the overall sound between the top 2" driver (K69, P-Audio branded) and the bass bin. I recently went 3-way myself, but not in the conventional manner. I added an RSW-15 to each channel to pick up from 20Hz-50Hz. I now have a nicely balanced set of mains that put out as much bass as your heart desires.