Pics of my new khorns inside! Does anyone have a pair of klipschorn cloth sides for sale?

CT vintage

Hi folks, i just bought a pair of nice '86 khorns but 2 of the wood framed, cloth covered sides are pretty broken up. I'm hoping to find someone who can sell me a decent set.

Here's the new additions to the family.[8]

An interesting story... these khorns were owned and used by Dave Lapoint who was a pitcher for the NY Yankees back in the 80's! In 2007, Dave gave them to his friend and I purchased them from the friend today. Pretty cool. [Y]

This makes 2 pairs of Khorns in my livingroom now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Congrats on your find and welcome to the forum! I hope this is the year I join you as a Khorn owner. I'm looing, but just haven't found exactly the right pair.

Greg Roberts is member on this forum (greg928gts). He may be able to help you out. If you are a diy'er, I think he good photos on his website for building these as well.

Good luck,

Joe

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I sent Dave Lapoint a letter asking him if these Khorns were his. He wrote back saying that they were in fact his and that he "used them with a Kenwood receiver and monster wire... a long time ago." He signed the letter and signed a photo of him (that I included) from 1986... back when he owned these speakers. Pretty cool guy!

Here's a quick video of 4 walnut khorns in my smallish living room. I just got them all set up and the furniture moved around. Also, just hooked up my "new to me" Onkyo TX-N1000 receiver... which is daunting to set up! [8o|]

View My Video <----VIDEO LINK [ip]

Good luck with your search. Looks like 14 gauge rewire internally plus newer caps, so I guess somebody has been at the xovers, but maybe not. Maybe that's the monster wire he's referring to.

Go Yankees!

khorns made with lumber core, have a more breathtaking veneer grain pattern.

What else were khorns made with and why did it make their veneer more or less breathtaking? Confused

What years were different types of wood used?

thanks

many are made with birch plywood. those that are birch plywood rely on the grain patterns of the finish side of the plywood. some were also made of MDF.

lumbercore has no finish side until they are veenered.

As I understand it, lumbercore comes from the factory only with a finished veneer. Generally speaking, lumber core is a higher grade plywood than veneer-core (or mdf-core). I doubt Klipsch did any veneering (at least for flat-panel speakers) at their factory.