New member of Klipschorn family

runninshine

After a few years of buying and selling (mostly buying) different Klipsch speakers I am now a part of the Khorn club. I feel the fully horn loaded 3 way speaker just seem to bring the most pleasure to my ears and that is why the La Scala has been a staple at my place, so the next step had to be the Khorn.

The serial numbers are KC- BR which I think means 1972 birch raw (no collar....whatever that means?) but, the pics I saw from the seller before I bought them, the veneer looked like rosewood.......so they must have been re-veneered. There is also a stamp over the ID tag saying "Salesman's Accomodation Sample Not For Sale" I am not sure what that means unless these were demo floor models.

There are a few little nicks and dings from over the years and the crossovers are AA stock, so I will listen to them for sometime and then upgrade.....so far the sound is amazing.

I feel as if music sounds better at night so, a bottle or two of wine is waiting for my wife and I and pleanty of music for this evening.

Sterling

post-32793-13819635097474_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to learn how to post multiple pics on one thread.

To do them you must host the files on a different server than Klipsch's (like Picassa or Flicker). Then it's easy to post multiples, using that little tree icon in the tool bar above where you type text.

Congratulations on the beee-you-tiful Khorns! The speakers were, as you read, salesmen's samples. Whoever reveneered them seems to have done a very nice, professional job. Oh, they're '78s not '72s.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

Well, well, well! Congratulations Sterling, those are beautiful Khorns my friend! I bet they sound wonderful and will sound even better once you update the crossovers. I'd love to hear the bass of a Khorn and now..... YOU GET TO!!!

Let us know how you like them compared to the La Scalas.

You done good! [Y]

Dennie

Well, well, well! Congratulations Sterling, those are beautiful Khorns my friend! I bet they sound wonderful and will sound even better once you update the crossovers. I'd love to hear the bass of a Khorn and now..... YOU GET TO!!!

Let us know how you like them compared to the La Scalas.

You done good! Yes

Dennie

Thanks for the good words my friend! The bass is hard to describe yet plentiful and so far they are very revealing speakers.

Wow, I just spotted this post... Congrats Sterling...YesCool Those are beautiful!!Stick out tongue

Thanks Rick! It's great seeing your posts on "RTM".......because of you I want to expand my blu-ray collection.

Thanks for the kind words Sterling...[:)] I love this forum and in particular the RTM thread! Lots of great guys here...[H]

Upon further inspection Sterling, it appears that you have one and a half "good" corners? [:^)]

IMG_4253.JPG

Don't feel bad, I can only come up with one "good" corner. So, you've got me beat!

Thank Goodness for La Scalas, it allows us "corner impaired" music buffs to enjoy the fully horn loaded speakers also! [<:o)]

Dennie

PS They seem to match your gear nicely and I really like the cane grills! [Y]

Thanks Dennie,

You noticed my 1.5 corner huh?........I had to try.

Did you also notice the strange white spots on the upper grill? I can't really see it much from my eye but the camera sure see's it.

I can't believe how big these things are! The La Scalas look "small" compaired to the Klipschorn towers.

Thanks Dennie,

You noticed my 1.5 corner huh?........I had to try.

Did you also notice the strange white spots on the upper grill? I can't really see it much from my eye but the camera sure see's it.

I can't believe how big these things are! The La Scalas look "small" compaired to the Klipschorn towers.

"Strange White Spots"! eek.gif

I was hoping they were from the camera. Well, now it's time to send them to the cleaners. banghead.gif

....and yes, the Khorns are HUGE! You don't realize it until you are standing next to one. Good thing they go in the corners!

Dennie

Stering!, thanks to Dennie, I found what I was hoping for [:D]
Thanks for the photos... I will help with your xover upgrade. I am
not sure if my original K'Horn posts exsist, its been a while, but the
photos are pretty detailed and they are all neatly filed on the big storage drive for reference...

Yours are beautiful and I like the wood grain pattern too! I like the red stamp on that manufactor tag! Makes them special [;)] Yes, I figured your models were more
recently made then 1972... Yours have the spacers and the NEWER logo
too... Well, I guess you are enjoying them completely so far and I
will check in from time to time. Send me that PM if you have more
questions.

Meanwhile, I could not help but dig up the photo of my pair just after a good cleaning and waxing..., like yours, a really neat pattern!

When I opened mine up to inspect the woofers, I found the SIGNATURE of the fellow that assemebled them inside written in pencil (both speakers), along with FACTORY DUST on the woofer frame and mounting clamps with his fingerprints that had wipped the dust off in sections !

Wishing you continued enjoyment. [:D]

.....Gary

post-23544-13819635110108_thumb.jpg

Very pretty Gary.

Try this for Gary's Restoration. Hope it's what you're looking for. Ooh. FACTORY DUST. Maybe you should've collected it and sold it?

Easily found by search for Klipschorn and user TIgerman

For just scrolling to find an older post you'll probably have to click the Options in the section and select show all posts as it defaults to most recent 3 months or something like that and I swear some of mine have gotten reset.

Gotta dig those cane grilles on Sterling's.