Reference 7 5.1 setup, looking into upgrading to 7.1

Thors1982

I currently have a whole Reference 7 setup

2 RF-7s

1 RC-7

2 RS-7

1 RSW-15

I am wondering what I should buy to complete the setup... are there any new klipsch that would complement them for rear surrounds or should I try to pick up some old reference 7 speakers.

And the major question is should i grab 2 RS-7s or would it be better with 2 RB-7s?

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

There is no such speaker (RB-7), gentleman. You'd be looking for a pair of RB-75's and they are NOT easy to come by. And when you do come by them, they are pricey. I have heard great things about them, though. So if you are patient, that's the route to go. If not, I think a pair of RB-81's would work great.

Either way, I personally haven't felt the need to go to 7.1 yet. There are really only a handful of movies shot in actual 7.1, the rest (most of the movies you care about) are shot in 5.1 and matrixed to 7.1 by your processor.

You have a great set-up, btw. Good luck, whatever route you go!

Sorry jrod... i knew it was RB-75s... just didn't type it for some reason.

Anyways thanks a lot for the help both of you, sounds like I could go with the RB-75s. Or you two are both recommending different speakers the RB 81 II or RB81s.

Also you both are recommending going with book shelves versus getting another set of surrounds. Is it typical to have pair of surrounds and a pair of bookshelves for a 7.1 setup?

Either way, I personally haven't felt the need to go to 7.1 yet. There are really only a handful of movies shot in actual 7.1, the rest (most of the movies you care about) are shot in 5.1 and matrixed to 7.1 by your processor.

+1

And with 9.1 and 11.1 set ups out there I guess I'm way behind with my 5.1 set up!!!

Yeah, I haven't had a very good setup for 7.1 till now. I am settling into my house and am looking into home theater upgrades. I don't think 2 more speakers will cost that much so I might do it.

I did hear a 9.1 demo at Dolby's CES booth 2 years ago and was blown away... the height really makes a difference. I heard a 11.1 demo at DTS's booth this year and was honestly not impressed (well I mean it sounded good but didn't see much of a benefit).

I am actually thinking about replacing my amp with seperates and was looking at the Onkyo pr-sc5508 which supports 9.1. But then I would need 2 amps... I don't know of any 9 channel amps :-( Of course I also have NO idea where to buy the Onkyo pr-sc5508 I can't find anywhere with it less than retail and I think we all know no one ever pays retail for home theater equipment :-p

9 may be overkill but would be nice since im already getting a pre-amp that supports it to get an amp that supports it JUST IN CASE! :-)

I am actually thinking about replacing my amp with seperates and was looking at the Onkyo pr-sc5508 which supports 9.1. But then I would need 2 amps... I don't know of any 9 channel amps

Here is one. I don't know how it stacks up against the likes of Parasound, B&K, Rotel, Emotiva, etc., but it does have (9) channels.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=PA-MC5500&class=Amplifier&p=i

Bill

post-26822-13819635535758_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

So I finally purchased a pair of RB-75s!!! I am excited :-) They are a bit bigger than I expected... lol Which leads me to two questions

1: So my question is is their any problem with sitting RB-75 on their sides?

2: Also and just to clarify. Use the RB-75s as surrounds behind me and the RS-7s as the left and right surrounds.

Thanks a lot for everyones help.

• Moderators

1: So my question is is their any problem with sitting RB-75 on their sides?

Nothing "wrong" with it....it just might change the angle and direction the tweeter disperses the sound.

2: Also and just to clarify. Use the RB-75s as surrounds behind me and the RS-7s as the left and right surround.

Yes, wide dispersion as side surrounds, direct reflecting speakers as back surrounds.