What do the Klipsch Moderators Have??

chickey

Just curious -- I know this topic has been hit upon before to a certain degree -- but it would be interesting to know what Klipsch speakers our board moderators feature in their personal systems. BobG, Jim, Phil --- any takers??

Colin

------------------

My System

tblasing - This could be like many auto mechanics - all of the cars they work on run good, but they don't ever get to work on thier own.

OTOH, folks I know who work at John Deere get the latest lawn care equipment from them, since they get great deals. I wonder how many Klipsch employees have thier names on the list for the new Heritage?

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 04-12-2002 at 01:14 PM

I'll bite. I've said before what I have, but it is worth restating. Since I am a product manager, my system tends to change somewhat when I need to test things at home. However, I tend to get something I like and stay with it for a while. Right now, my main theater is in the process of being upgraded and what was down there has made its way up to the family room.

Not that anyone cares, but here's how it goes. I have three primary systems at home - two surround and one 2-channel. I was always an audiophile geek and had lots of stuff. That was compounded when I managed a high-end specialty store for a few years. Now, being here has made it all even worse! Yeah, you do get jaded being around all this stuff, but then again, you gotta have something at home! A/V is a disease that I succumbed to years ago! Keep in mind that a lot of this stuff was around before I worked here so don't be suprised to see that it isn't all Klipsch and Aragon - yet!

Main Theater (Dedicated room in the basement):

This room has morphed over the last few years since I joined Klipsch. However, most of the video has been the same since I built the room 3 years ago. The TV is a Sony KP-53XBR200 53" RPTV. Video sources include a Sony DVP-S550D DVD player (soon to be moved to the bedroom), a JVC S-VHS Hi-Fi VCR and a RCA 3rd generation DSS (the cool one with the RF remote and digital output). I also have an older Sony ES CD changer and a Sony single cassette deck. Originally, a Denon AVR-3300 was down there. That has since moved to the family room and Aragon gear has replaced it. (I'm the product manager for Aragon among a few other things here.) For now, I have a Stage One preamp and a 2007 amplifier running the system. The amp is soon to be exchanged for a 3005/3002 combo or a 3005/8008 combo or a 2005/3002 combo. Not sure which yet! Speakers were initially a pair of Boston VR-40's for the mains, a Boston VR-12 for the center, B&W SCM-8's for the sides (the old THX Ultra triangles) and an M&K MX-145 for the subwoofer. That system sounded pretty good. The speakers first got exchanged for an RF-3 system (RF-3/RC-3/RS-3-same M&K sub) but they have since changed again. Now, the speakers are RF-7's up front, RC-7 center, RS-3 sides, RS-7 backs, an RSW-15 up front and an RSW-12 in the back. It's about to morph one more time though as ultimately, the RS-7's will move to the sides and RCW-5's will go in the wall for the backs. The RS-3's will go upstairs to once again live with the RF-3 system. The whole system is wired up with Straight Wire (mostly) and Monster Cable cabling.

Family Room system:

The Denon AVR-3300 now lives here alongside a Sony DVP-S400 DVD player, a Sony SLV-940HF HiFi VCR, a Denon DCD-810 CD player, a Lafayette T-6000 turntable and an older Pioneer dual cassette deck. An older Sony V-series 27" TV is here as well as the RF-3 system that use to be in the basement. Again, wiring is a Straight Wire/Monster combo.

Bedroom system:

This is where old gear goes to live. Once it gets retired from the theater, it moves to the family room. Then it goes to the bedroom. Then it either goes to one of my kids rooms or sits somewhere until I sell it. Right now, the bedroom system is pretty cool. It is a 20" Toshiba Flat tube TV, an old Carver CFM-1090 integrated amp, a Denon DCD-800 CD player and a new Sony HiFi VCR. Speakers are all M&K - a pair of S-85 satellites and an MX-70B subwoofer. (I know - no Klipsch in the bedroom...) Cables are again Straight Wire and Monster.

Elsewhere:

I also have some SA-3 outdoor speakers, a ProMedia 2.1 system and a few other things around too. One of the coolest is my old Pioneer SX-737 receiver! I can never sell that! I had that in college powering a pair of Advent Legacy speakers! I rocked! Over the years I have had a number of old mid-70's Pioneer receivers (SX-1250, SX-1010 to name a couple) but I have always hung onto this one for some reason. It's just cool!

OK. I'm sure I've bored the hell out of everyone now with my geek-like regurgitation of what I have at home. Now you know why there is no equipment list in my signature! Biggrin.gif I'll let someone else chime in now. Bob? Phil? What do you guys have at home?

Jim

Wow Jim, thanks, your response made for some great reading! I'd also be interested to know your perception of how the Aragon Stage One matches up with the Klipsch in your main theater. I'll be looking to upgrade my pre/pro at some point in the not too distant feature, and the Stage One is on my short list to audition. I'm running Chorus II's up front, and one of the key criteria last time I did my shopping was to insure the pre/pro wasn't too bright or harsh with the CII's. I wound up with a Parasound unit which sounds great in 2 channel, but is now dated for home theater (only DD, no DTS or 6.1/7.1 support).

Would love to hear your opinion on how the Stage One matches up with horns. I know, what else is a Klipsch rep going to say, but having observed your objectivity on these boards before, your opinion would be invaluable.

Thanks again!

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 04-12-2002 at 02:45 PM

OK, mine is modest compared to JimG's but here goes:

HT Room:

Mitsubishi VS4546 PJTV

Onkyo TXDS777 Receiver

Pioneer DV-333 DVD Player

Mitsubishi HSU-71 S-VHS

RCA DD DirecTV Receiver

JVC KD-95J Cassette Deck (a true relic)

Klipsch KLF-30's Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3's Surrounds

Uh, don't hurt yourself laughing...Infinity BU-200 Sub

RB-5's in the Living Room with a Mits CS-3103 TV, Onkyo TX-8211 and DXC-330, SA-2's in the Florida Room with a JVC RXV8000Something (old) and ProMedia 2.1's in the Master Bedroom with a Sony KV-27V__? TV.

I'm gonna see if I can impersonate a product manager so I can upgrade...

PhilH

Boa - Yes sir, it does. Heard many good things about the B&K, so an audition is definitely in order. I also want to check out the new Parasound Halo line once it is released.

Of course, the wife is still getting over the RS-7's she bought me for Christmas ("those are going up on the side walls??!!"), so I'll tread lightly for a quarter or two. It will give me time to audition and have some fun to boot!

Best,

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 04-12-2002 at 03:04 PM

Here we go.. I'm not a mod, but I like to list my stuff:

Mits vs55907

2 Klipsch rp-3 towers

1 def tech clr 2500

2 klipsch sb1 books for rears (want to replace these)

Pioneer Elite vsx-27tx

Pioneer Elite DV37

Velodyne ct100 sub

Any obvious holes? Upgrade suggestions?

Nice systems Moderators! No way was I bored.

Murray,

In additions to Doug's suggestion for Center upgrade, you may want to consider upgrading the surrounds to the Klipsch recommended choice for the RP-3's, which are RS-3's or RS-3II's. The SB-1's are better suited for use with the Synergy Series. The suggested changes would give you a killer setup for HT movies.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I could tell you both, what Bob G. had and what he changed to.

But since this information came to me in an email I better respect his privacy.

Trey, also mentioned a few of his items once.

I think this information could be pried from their lips. You just have to hound them a little more.

q.

------------------

Q-Man

Well I took my link out of my signature,but you can still click the the little house below and see what I had.It is in pieces now.Part of it is here with me in Indy.My Cornwalls are here in one of our listening rooms.

I have listened to different brands of receivers and amps for many years.

I must say that I am impressed with Aragon.I have always wanted the 8008 BB and now I wish I had bought one long ago.To my ears........well.........I know what my new system will be,not because I work here,but because I have finally had the opportunity to listen to Aragon.

------------------

Stephen Phillips

Mondial Designs

Guest Matt Whatley

Well, I'm not a mod but I do work here. I have lots of Klipsch Pro gear, but this is what I would like to have for my home setup: Small living room.

Front L/R: RB-3

Center: RC-3 II

Surrounds: RS-3 II

Sub: RSW-12

Pre-amp: Stage One

Power: 2007

Gameroom would be:

K-horns, Two Palladiums, 28K Mk II, and an RSW-15.

-Matt

Colin,

You asked how the Stage One matches up to horns. Very well! The Stage One is a very good sounding processor and matched up to the RF-7's can bring out tremendous sonic detail and realism. It has been interesting developing the Stage One. Having speakers like the RF-7's available has been both a blessing and a curse. The RF-7's are one of the most revealing speakers on the market and have caused us to work exceptionally hard at getting the Stage One really quiet. We have heard things on the RF-7's that would never be a problem with most speakers.

We've also had several competitive processors in house to listen to and see how they sound on RF-7's too. That has been an eye-opener! Eek.gif: For example, in one group listening session, we started with a popular $2000 THX Ultra A/V receiver running the RF-7 7.1 speaker system. It sounded very closed in, undynamic and had squishy bass. Sure, we might have thought it sounded OK if we hadn't had several points of reference that we were also listening to. Next up, we swapped to a very popular $2800 THX preamp and its companion $3300 THX Ultra 7-ch amp. There was a noticeable improvement in the sound from the step to seperates - thanks mostly to the amplifier - that's where you get shortchanged the most in an A/V receiver anyways, so we expected the improvement. The unit was not user-friendly by any means though and we did have a good amount of noise through the system. More so than with the receiver. Next, we played the Stage One and 2007 combo. Wow! What a difference! It was like someone pulled the blankets off of the speakers! The soundstage and dynamics took huge leaps forward and the bass was much better. It was no contest! However, just to keep ourselves in check, we had also brought a high-end contender. The shiny silver $6500 THX preamp and matching amp were taunting us with a reality check, so we fired them up next. We expected a gain again in performance since this combo was priced about twice what we are. These two systems sounded the most alike, but in fact, the high-end rig seemed a little less detailed than our gear. There's was a little quieter, but it was mostly because the outputs mute after 5 seconds with no signal. All in all, it was a good comparison with unanimous opinions on the winner - especially when you factored in the retail prices!

For now, I have been using a 2007 power amp with my speakers, but I plan on swapping it out soon and using something like a 3002 or 8008 for the mains. One of those amps will make the system even more revealing than it already is. They will also slap the RF-7's around a little more than the 2007 will too. I'm looking forward to that change.

So in other words, have no fear! The Aragon gear matches up quite nicely with horns. (It's interesting to note that some of the most efficient speakers on the market and some of the most powerful amplifiers on the market are now from the same parent company. That should satisfy some the volume junkies around this board!) I know this may not seem like it is objective, but I gotta tell you, I would have picked the same gear at a retailer if I had that comparison test available as a customer. I'd love to hear your feedback if you get the chance to audition a Stage One at home - which I strongly encourage you to do!

Jim

"Next up, we swapped to a very popular $2800 THX

preamp and its companion $3300 THX Ultra 7-ch amp. There was a noticeable

improvement in the sound from the step to seperates - thanks mostly to the amplifier -

that's where you get shortchanged the most in an A/V receiver anyways, so we

expected the improvement. The unit was not user-friendly by any means though and we

did have a good amount of noise through the system. More so than with the receiver."

ok jim i know you're referencing my b&k reference 30 & b&k 7270 here. cwm3.gif

admit it does have a bit of a noise floor but hardly audible from the position & not at all w/ any material playing. does the stage one use mute circuits? b&k doesn't use cause they claim that makes the sound non-discrete. but the slight hiss noise while idle must be from that motorola digital dna dsp. but isn't that what the stage one is using? maybe a different model. well anyway maybe they'll upgrade it someday but no real biggy here. Smile.gif

i was actually going to get the stage one to put w/ my then acurus 200five & whatever monoblock i could settle on. just couldn't hold off for another year. i'll have to demo it if possible.

wonder if the klipsch dealer(s) will carry it? is there an effort to get more klipsch dealers to also deal in aragon.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-18-2002 at 12:44 PM