Netflix want's to quit DVD's

dtel

Could just be posturing on the part of Netflix in order to move their media suppliers away from physical media - instead pushing them inside online streaming where Netflix has the biggest advantage over their competitors:

"As Slate reported, if Netflix's streaming business takes off the way they think it will, it could prove a serious drain on America's broadband capacity, which is far less nimble than other countries'....We don't even want to think of a future where Netflix angers the entire Internet community because too many people are streaming old episodes of 'Friends' at the same time."

Additionally, I'd bet that many folks still get confused with their online choice to order DVDs: Netflix may be seeking to remove this option from their streaming movie site in order to reduce customer service calls.

Most businesses don't walk away from safe harbors of "money makers" (especially the size of Netflix' market). But they do posture with their suppliers from time to time in order to get better prices and more convenient products for their customers (...like WalMart does...).

Chris

I believe I read somewhere they will begin streaming Blue Ray quality at some point in the near future.

Right now; we are considering cancelling our DVD shipments to switch to streaming only.

I agree; the DVDs look better (Blue Rays even more so); but the hassle of dropping them off at the post office can be inconvenient.

Me.... On the fence......

dropping them off at the post office can be inconvenient

Whoever delivers your USPS mail should take those red envelopes too.

I would say under normal circumstances; I agree......

One of the reasons we will be moving is mail is delivered 2-3 times a week max.

Also; we have had packages disappear from our mailbox.

I do not have confidence in the idea of leaving a Netflix DVD in an unlocked mailbox that has had items taken before.

(Especially when there is no guarantee it will be picked up the same day).

(Yes; we have complained to the Post Office; yadda yadda...... ).

We live in a nice neighborhood too; across the street from a grammar school...... Maybe it is kids; etc; IDK......

So; yeah....

A few months ago my internet provider added the ability to view your internet usage online. This worries me because I figure its a step toward charging for use instead of unlimited for a certain price. I think with streaming getting so popular providers will start charging those who are using more of the bandwidth to make it fair. For me that sucks because I do stream a lot off of Netflix so I'll be paying the price!

Sounds like getting rid of DVDs is a few years off, who knows maybe by that time they'll have the technology to the point that the streaming will be the same or better quality that DVD is now.

dropping them off at the post office can be inconvenient

Whoever delivers your USPS mail should take those red envelopes too.

I would say under normal circumstances; I agree......

I knew you knew (ya know?), but I'm good at stating the obvious. Sorry about your mail situation. I guess I have been taking it for granted since....forever. Set up a security camera and bust those grammar kids!

I've been using Blockbuster through the mail. It's nice because instead of mailing them back, I can actually exchange them in store for another movie at no charge or late fees. I think I can use that feature 5 times per month.

I used to use Blockbuster too. I can't remember why I changed to Netflix. I'll have to check them out again and see which is a better deal now.

• Moderators

We have watched a few streaming movies but more for the kids or if nothing was on Tv, if it's something I really want to see Bluray or DVD I want the disc. To me there is a fair amount of difference in quality, streaming is ok but to me no better than what's on satellite which we are paying for already.

• Moderators

Starting to sound like a reason to raise prices for the disc, even if it is 20 time cheaper to stream you can't tell me they were not making money before, they may just want to make more just streaming and not mess with all the mail stuff.

Either way If I can't get a disc I don't need them, we don't watch that many movies and when I do I want the disc, or streaming better be HD and at least DD 5.1 or DTS.

Starting to sound like a reason to raise prices for the disc, even if it is 20 time cheaper to stream you can't tell me they were not making money before, they may just want to make more just streaming and not mess with all the mail stuff.

Either way If I can't get a disc I don't need them, we don't watch that many movies and when I do I want the disc, or streaming better be HD and at least DD 5.1 or DTS.

My sentiments exactly. On line must get much better technically because now it SUCKS!

My sentiments exactly. On line must get much better technically because now it SUCKS!

Yep! The audio quality and HD qaulity for the streaming sucks compared to an actual BR disc.

If this goes down, I'll canc my subscription - the free streaming is just a perk as far as I'm concerned!

Yep! The audio quality and HD qaulity for the streaming sucks compared to an actual BR disc.

If this goes down, I'll canc my subscription - the free streaming is just a perk as far as I'm concerned!

We're all different I guess because I pretty much subscribe to Netflix for the streaming and the one disk out at a time is the perk. Streaming alone is $7.99 and one DVD out at a time with unlimited streaming is $9.99. Since you can get about 4-5 DVDs a month I think its worth it for streaming or the disks. But together for me its a bargain!

I recently upgraded to BD just because the PQ is so much better but really even though streaming sucks PQ wise I still use it just because its so convenient. But I'd welcome an improvement in PQ and SQ from streaming any time Netflix wants to add it.