Return to the realm of La Scala

Lyons

Talk about bursting a man's bubble. You just couldn't let him be "wow'ed" when he turns the La Scalas on for the first time couldn't you? [:)] I remembered how excited I got when first heard them and I didn't notice anything lacking in the bass. Now he'll just focus on the bass when he listens to them.

• Like 1

Call it a hunch; but I suspect the OP may have listened to LaScalas before just trading his CWs for them.

My Heresies are not big bass producers. I was still floored the first time I heard them.

(Hell; I am still floored on occasions to this day!)......

Nothing wrong with a capable sub to fill the bottom end........ [H]

Yes, I may not be able to post here correctly (accidental double post, image weirdness), but this is not my first rodeo, or my first pair of La Scalas. Bass sounds good right now, but I know enough to already have the subwoofer waiting in the wings for when I can muscle these upstairs. They are sounding great right about now as is...

Congrats on the pick-up.

So I'm curious. Please, everyone who can speak from experience, objectively, how much of an upgrade do the La Scalas represent over Cornwalls? I've never heard a pair, and while understanding La Scalas "must" be better, I wonder to what degree.

No way I would swap my LaScala's for some Cornwall's. Having said that, I loved my old Cornwalls, but after I got a dose of that big mid horn and the dynamics they produce it was a done deal. Cornwalls are great for low to mid level listening IMO, but mine kind of got ugly after 50 or so watts. I would still consider some Cornwall II's for my surrounds and might even swap my Chorus for some.

BTW to the OP. Those LaScala's look great!

Congrats on the pick-up.

So I'm curious. Please, everyone who can speak from experience, objectively, how much of an upgrade do the La Scalas represent over Cornwalls? I've never heard a pair, and while understanding La Scalas "must" be better, I wonder to what degree.

No way I would swap my LaScala's for some Cornwall's. Having said that, I loved my old Cornwalls, but after I got a dose of that big mid horn and the dynamics they produce it was a done deal. Cornwalls are great for low to mid level listening IMO, but mine kind of got ugly after 50 or so watts. I would still consider some Cornwall II's for my surrounds and might even swap my Chorus for some.

For me the La scalas really excelled in the mids to highs vs the cornwalls, but i really like bass and the la scalas are really lacking in that dept. vs cornwalls.

To me the cornwalls were a better all around speaker for different types of music, kind of a jack of all trades.

The La scalas really shined on jazz music and female vocals. I really enjoyed miles davis, coltrane and the like with the La scalas and female voices were so real it was scary sometimes. Allison Krause, fisher 500-c and La Scalas... still gives me goosebumps thinking about that combo.

The Cornwalls were also very good at Jazz and classical type music, just not as good as the Scalas, IMO..

For good ol rock and roll with kick drums and Movies that go boom(which i really like) i'd take Cornwalls everytime.

And as effortless as the Cornwalls seemed The La scalas were even more effortless,(must be that 104.5 sensitivity !!)

My wife says that the music really carried out into the whole house A LOT more so with the La scalas than the Cornwalls did and that was even

being played at the same volumes 75-85 db.

The La scalas can really crank when you want them to, just that they are bass shy when they are doing it.

I guess it really comes down to personal preference and the room set-up you have.

For me the next step is KLIPSCHORNS!!! best of both the scala and the cornie.[<:o)]

Beautiful! Congratulations. Interested to hear your take on how they sound compared to your Cornwalls.

If his experience is anything like mine was He is going to yell: WHERE DID ALL THE BASS GO?????? LOL.Big Smile

And the subwoofer search begins....... Yes

VRD Amps. = No sub required for 2 Channel

Sounds like a good horn-sub is in order. Just as musical. That's what I did with mine. I'll never go back. Makes low volume listening such a pleasure.

You either need to EQ the La Scala's bottom end, use a separate horn loaded sub to keep the bass on the Fletcher Munson curve (ISO226:2003) , listen to them loud all the time, or have an amplifier with dynamic EQ. Once relieved of bottom duties...The LaScalas become a whole 'notha animal. [6]

My $.02

-Quiet_Hollow

P.S. - Sweet trade BTY. You certainly got the better end of the deal IMHO

I used my Belles for about 3 years without a sub. In a good room angled in and only a foot or so from the wall, the La Scalas will sound fine. They produce most orchestral, jazz and light rock without any need for a sub. Actually a lot of heavy rock doesn't have that much low bass anyway. I added a budget Klipsch sub last year, just to try it out. I was very pleased with the sound and I haven't felt the need to upgrade my sub. Most subs benefit from positioning, fine tuning of output, and crossover adjustment. You can make a budget sub sound like you paid much more money for it. You can also make a very expensive sub sound like cr*p.