DIY La Scala for Center?

HOGFAN

I'm biased, in case you didn't notice, as I have two lascala mains and my DIY squater as a center. I use two academy (one DIY) as my surrounds. Building a speaker is not that different from building any other box. The lascala, with the angled front, is the biggest challenge.

An Academy will be no improvement in terms of tonal match -- the "off" you hear -- over the Quartet you have now, and it will be a couple steps down in output capability.

Putting a Heresy in the middle is the lowest initial cost and the

path of least resistance. It also offers an easy exit path -- sell it

-- compared to more complicated options that have you building one-offs. All things considered, I would put the Heresy center at option one. Another pair of Heresys will make fine surrounds.

Incidentally, your room is the about the same size as mine, and my Heresy has no trouble matching the La Scalas at any output level I require. Sometimes the output level I require is "ridiculous."

2) Build a smaller LS....a little narrower with a shorter bass bin (maybe with a 10" woofer). I guess this would also work, as it appears the lowest vocals are at about 80 Hz.....and a regular LS bottoms out at about 53 Hz. So, building a center that gets down to 100 Hz or a little under would probably work.....at least 99.99% of the time.

I'll repeat myself...

Have a look at Erik Forker's download page. He has a LaScala bass bin scaled for a ten inch woofer. You could still use the LS parts for the mid and tweeter, but the ten in bottom. Or scale it up for a twelve inch.

Or make a smaller midbass tractrix. He has lots of info on his site.

Bruce

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

On the other hand, if using an Academy or Heresy II would work as good as anything I could build (given my space contraints), maybe I should just go the easy route.

Another factor in favour of the Heresy II (all 1986 and later models with the square connector cup at the back) is that it can be economically upgraded to a Heresy III. The kit, which includes a new woofer, new squawker (mid driver), new tweeter and tweeter horn and new and improved crossover, costs only around $300 (last time I checked, a couple of years ago) from Klipsch Parts Department.

Everything in the cabinet, with the exception of the mid horn (you use the existing one), is replaced. The sensitivity goes from 97dB to 99dB, the highs are clearer and the bass is stronger and goes lower.

All those improvements narrow the gap between the Heresy II and the big Heritage speakers by a helpful amount.

2) Build a smaller LS....a little narrower with a shorter bass bin (maybe with a 10" woofer). I guess this would also work, as it appears the lowest vocals are at about 80 Hz.....and a regular LS bottoms out at about 53 Hz. So, building a center that gets down to 100 Hz or a little under would probably work.....at least 99.99% of the time.

I'll repeat myself...

Have a look at Erik Forker's download page. He has a LaScala bass bin scaled for a ten inch woofer. You could still use the LS parts for the mid and tweeter, but the ten in bottom. Or scale it up for a twelve inch.

Or make a smaller midbass tractrix. He has lots of info on his site.

Bruce

http://www.volvotreter.de/dl-section.htm

A good alternative.

Yes, I think what Bruce is recommending seems the correct path. However, just one more idea that comes to mind (before I embark on a build project)....please give me your thoughts. Would a Tuba 18, tied to the LS top section, work? The Tuba 18 looks like a very easy build, but just wondering if it would work as well as the min-LS option. I know I don't need the low end the Tuba 18 produces, but not much below 100 Hz would come through the center anyway. Mainly it would be much easier to construct. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hogfan

I'd look @ Crites Cs-1 for a center ( flipped the horn side ways as well as the woof )that what's I use & it keeps up quite well with my CornScalas a really good tonal match

that the 2 way with the Cites 12" woof is really good @ doing low male vocals & with his horn

does both the highs & mids very well i was quite surprised .

I have the heights running also with the CS-1

& plan on adding wides with the CS-1 also

when I get my 9.2 AVR real soon a onkyo Tx-NR5008 the TX-NR 807 will be sold