Looking for tube amp suggestions for Khorns

emmvette

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cut-Throat,

Well I don't think I'll be filling that exact hole in the market place. The amp I have in mind will be my offering with Seul (Soul in craiglish Wink ) with just a touch of T added..... Have I sparked your interest yet?

Craig

Yes, very interested. - Not a clue what you're up to, but interested. - I'll keep watching your website.

Who would of thought that both Craig and Cut-throat both be posting in a thread that makes mention of S_T amps?!!??!![;)]

I, too, am curious on what you are up to Craig.

Thanks

Cut-Throat,

Well I don't think I'll be filling that exact hole in the market place. The amp I have in mind will be my offering with Seul (Soul in craiglish Wink ) with just a touch of T added..... Have I sparked your interest yet?

Craig

JJ

i tried a Denon Home theater receiver, a Jolida 102b tube amp, a new solid state stereo receiver the outlaw audio rr2150 and now VRD monoblocks with a blueberry extreme preamp. the rr2150 was good, the VRD's are great. the jolida is a 20 watt tube amp, it didn't have enough guts, fortitude or cajones but sounded nice. the home theater receiver was not very good at all. good luck!

With a few exceptions, this is always true. Receiver, integrated, then separates are the 3 levels of sound quality.

As far as separates vs integrated I think that depends on the equipment. I have owened both a Mcintosh c220 pre with a mc275 amp and a Mcintosh ma2275 integrated and I did not really notice a difference in sound quality.

Being a long time Klipsch and Mcintosh fan, having owned khorns, cornwalls, and heresys. As well as a number of both tube and solid state pieces of Mcintosh gear, I know I am bias and I am sorry if I sound like a Mcintosh advertisement. But with all this talk about low power tube amps that run out of steam or do not have enough guts, Mcintosh makes several wonderful sounding tube amps with more than enough power and plenty of guts for you khorns.

OK, The topic is still open; if you haven't posted your thoughts don't hold back! I checked with two previous owners of the Quicksilver Horn Mono's because they sounded interesting, both had the same to say - they sound good for low level music but don't have the ability to rock out, so I'll cross those off my list. Maybe still very good for others, though.

The McIntosh is not on my list because I don't feel it is a good value for the dollars spent. I looked around and it would take a lot more money than for some other set ups that I think may be a little better. Others feel different, but that is my opinion.

Craig, I'm curious, are you going to give any more hints, do we have to guess, or wait? Never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice!

As far as separates vs integrated I think that depends on the equipment. I have owened both a Mcintosh c220 pre with a mc275 amp and a Mcintosh ma2275 integrated and I did not really notice a difference in sound quality.

As I said, with few exceptions. I pretty sure McIntosh would be one of the few.

I checked with two previous owners of the Quicksilver Horn Mono's because they sounded interesting, both had the same to say - they sound good for low level music but don't have the ability to rock out

OK, that dumps all the affordable amps. How about a pair of these..............

post-25429-13819636532962_thumb.jpg

OK, The topic is still open; if you haven't posted your thoughts don't hold back! I checked with two previous owners of the Quicksilver Horn Mono's because they sounded interesting, both had the same to say - they sound good for low level music but don't have the ability to rock out, so I'll cross those off my list. Maybe still very good for others, though.

The McIntosh is not on my list because I don't feel it is a good value for the dollars spent. I looked around and it would take a lot more money than for some other set ups that I think may be a little better. Others feel different, but that is my opinion.

Craig, I'm curious, are you going to give any more hints, do we have to guess, or wait? Never tease a weasel, because teasing isn't nice!

I wouldn't let my little hints of things in the future slow you down. It could easily be a year or more before I dive into it beyond the early stages of proto typing. The current state of the economy it would be total insanity to invest in the cost to stock another set of parts for an amplifier that will hardly sell. If it wasn't for the vintage rebuilding end of my business I wouldn't be in business after the last 2 years.. I made the mistake of restocking everything to make my stereo amp because so many perspective customers asked when I was going to make it available again... most of those parts have sat here unused for the last 6 months. No big deal I pay cash for everything in this business but I'm not spending anymore until some steady cash starts flowing in from new amplifier sales.

Regardless if rocking out is one of your concerns for an amplifier I already produce two amplifiers that do that and everything else in spades. The next offering will be less able to "Rock Out" then what I already offer.

any tube amp, unless bought from a restorer, a person who had the amp restored, or boutique tube amp builder, is going to be a crap shoot. forget the idea that you are going to get the most voted amp identified, find one and buy it, and live happily ever after. Your going to buy humm's, crackles, pops, buzzes, flashes, red coking power tubes, funny smells, etc. basically, you are buying into a project. I can give you my list, but what are the odds that the used amps I bought, in the condition I bought them in, will be available to you. There often appear amps in our garage sale section that can be reported on by their current owners. I would start there. As far as the quick silver. nothing spectacular there. there will be gems, there will be boxes of rocks, depending on if it was stored in an attic out in the deseert, or on someones damp uncovered porch. proceed with cuation. if possible, listen before you buy. smell the damm thing, if it smells funny, don't buy it.

any tube amp, unless bought from a restorer, a person who had the amp restored, or boutique tube amp builder, is going to be a crap shoot. forget the idea that you are going to get the most voted amp identified, find one and buy it, and live happily ever after. Your going to buy humm's, crackles, pops, buzzes, flashes, red coking power tubes, funny smells, etc. basically, you are buying into a project. I can give you my list, but what are the odds that the used amps I bought, in the condition I bought them in, will be available to you.

SpeakerFritz, you make a good point, which I understand and agree with. The point of this thread I guess was to start figuring out what I want and gain from the experience of others to hopefully save myself from a few "learning mistakes". I think there are some amps that simple have good syergy with the Khorns and that is what I'm trying to learn. So far I have already learned from this thread and reading a little elsewhere, for example based on how I listen, I will want something with a little power. As you mention being able to listen before you buy is a great tip, however, I doubt there are many people in Central Iowa that have a nice tube amp they are wanting to part with that I can try out.

any tube amp, unless bought from a restorer, a person who had the amp restored, or boutique tube amp builder, is going to be a crap shoot. forget the idea that you are going to get the most voted amp identified, find one and buy it, and live happily ever after. Your going to buy humm's, crackles, pops, buzzes, flashes, red coking power tubes, funny smells, etc. basically, you are buying into a project. I can give you my list, but what are the odds that the used amps I bought, in the condition I bought them in, will be available to you.

SpeakerFritz, you make a good point, which I understand and agree with. The point of this thread I guess was to start figuring out what I want and gain from the experience of others to hopefully save myself from a few "learning mistakes". I think there are some amps that simple have good syergy with the Khorns and that is what I'm trying to learn. So far I have already learned from this thread and reading a little elsewhere, for example based on how I listen, I will want something with a little power. As you mention being able to listen before you buy is a great tip, however, I doubt there are many people in Central Iowa that have a nice tube amp they are wanting to part with that I can try out.

This was an excellent point made by Speakerfritz. I will expand a bit on the "a person who had the amp restored" be very careful paying a premium for an amplifier restored by some unknown technician. For instance at least 75% of the amps I restore were previously restored by a sellers un-named technician or the seller did it himself, because not long after the purchase the amp starts having issues. This is recipe for monitary disaster if you pay a premuim for the work performed. No big deal buying one that has been worked on just make darn sure it was done properly by some one that knew what they were doing before paying a premium. In the current economic conditions every Tom, Dick and Harry with a $15 radio shack soldering iron and $15 multi meter are out there hacking on vintage amps and selling them for a premium as ready to rock & roll. A good technician can reverse the mess but don't start out monitarily burried into the unit right out of the gate. The very first criteria for buying used equipment espeically vintage should be its cosmetic condition. As long as it turns on and does not blow a fuse of the proper value with the tubes in place in almost all cases it can be restored to better then new performance. But if it looks like it was stored in overly moist conditions what is on the outside is on the inside of every hard to replace components like transformers and controls. In other words stay away from basket cases thinking you can save a buck because looks is not that important to you. In the end they cost as much and the sonic outcome is always compromised to some degree.

i tried a Denon Home theater receiver, a Jolida 102b tube amp, a new solid state stereo receiver the outlaw audio rr2150 and now VRD monoblocks with a blueberry extreme preamp. the rr2150 was good, the VRD's are great. the jolida is a 20 watt tube amp, it didn't have enough guts, fortitude or cajones but sounded nice. the home theater receiver was not very good at all. good luck!

With a few exceptions, this is always true. Receiver, integrated, then separates are the 3 levels of sound quality.

also funny how sound quality and price increased at similiar rates [:D]

My two cents.... a restored (and upgraded) [The] Fisher 500C. Mine matches well with my Belles. I'm certain that it would work well with your Khorn's. I believe that pmsummer has his Khorn's set up with a Fisher.

I think that Speakerfritz point is valid from his experience. But his is not the only experience. I did not buy my tube amps from a restorer or a boutique builder. My purchase was not a crap shoot nor has it ever been a project. I have never experienced humm's, crackles, pops, buzzes, or smells. I simply bought new amps from an authorized dealer of top quality manufacturer. My only project has been to enjoy the music. I know that there are good amps out there in your budget. You might have to do a little traveling to find the right one for you. But that can be part of the fun.

I think that Speakerfritz point is valid from his experience. But his is not the only experience. I did not buy my tube amps from a restorer or a boutique builder. My purchase was not a crap shoot nor has it ever been a project. I have never experienced humm's, crackles, pops, buzzes, or smells. I simply bought new amps from an authorized dealer of top quality manufacturer. My only project has been to enjoy the music. I know that there are good amps out there in your budget. You might have to do a little traveling to find the right one for you. But that can be part of the fun.

Ummm me thinks you misread what Speakerfritz post was about... Unless I'm mistaken I think he was talking about used gear. What you did is exactly what speakerfritz's post suggests to a degree but in your case you purchased brand new.... so I would hope you never had problem like that! Maybe you should reread his post and then maybe apologize?