CD Player Suggestions

SuBXeRo

I have been looking for a cd player for a while now. I am not necessarily looking for something that is SACD capable as i dont own anything that is in SACD format but if what i bought had it, thats ok too. I don't want a 500 cd capacity. Single draw/slot or a carousel of 5-6 cds isperfect. I have been cruising the used market and i read terrible reviews about the longevity of so many brands that i can't bring myself to even spend 60 on something used that i think is going to break.

I have been eyeing up the emotiva ERC-1 just because it matches, it seems to be rock solid and havent heard a negative review about it. Its pricey and isnt something i can afford. I was really trying to stay around the 100 dollar mark +/- 25-50. I know its not that much, i just want a reliable, quality sounding cd player that wont have its draw motor crap out on me after a year or have the software in the unit be crummy and unupgradeable.

Any suggestions? or should i just tough it out, use my ps3 or separate bluray player and eventually get a player in the 300 dollar range. Will something in that range really be worth it?

I purchased a few Sony dvp players s7000, s7700 and and s9000 and they are all wonderful cd players that are built like tanks and perform very well. These can be had for 80-200 and you won't be disappointed IMHO. All of the ones that I purchased were from the original owners (I believe because these were not a cheap piece of equipment in there day) in perfect condition. If you do a little research on the units, I think you'll agree that they're a deal.

I really do love this hobby, but it's so ridiculous.

Why would you want to spend $300 on a CD player when you already have a $300 CD player (PS3)?

Saying something as rational as that should be grounds for banishment from the forum!!! What fun is that idea regardless of how right it really is! [:P]

Seriously though I've never used a PS3 as a CD player so I can't speak to how it would compare to the ERC-1. I was using my BD player as a CD player before I bought the ERC-1 and I think I do hear a difference. If I didn't I'd have sent it back during the 30 day period because I'd rather use the money for something else than have it sitting on my rack and not gaining sound quality.

So I guess I'd hold out until you can get a good CD player and use your PS3. When you have the cash order the ERC-1 and listen like crazy for 30 days. If there is no gain box it up and return it.

I have been looking for a cd player for a while now. I am not necessarily looking for something that is SACD capable as i dont own anything that is in SACD format but if what i bought had it, thats ok too.

I was really trying to stay around the 100 dollar mark +/- 25-50.

This is a quality universal player for little $$$ and located in AZ.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1300132456&/Denon-DVD-2910-

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/dvd-players/denon-dvd-2910

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/dvdplayers/706denon2910

Here is one on C-list.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ele/2180935010.html

Bill

odysseyrevolver - Nails it.

CD Player = Boat Anchor

DAC + iMac + iPad = Way better than any CD player I have heard.

CDs are on shelf in the basement.

CD Player unpluged within 48 hours using the DAC.

24/96 and 24/192 is the way to go.

98% of Vinyl with 30% less hassle.

odysseyrevolver - Nails it.

CD Player = Boat Anchor

DAC + iMac + iPad = Way better than any CD player I have heard.

CDs are on shelf in the basement.

CD Player unpluged within 48 hours using the DAC.

24/96 and 24/192 is the way to go.

98% of Vinyl with 30% less hassle.

Maybe I'm avoiding the future by not jumping deeper into the DAC arena. I might have bought Emo's new DAC instead of the ERC-1 if it was avalible but it wasn't.
I have not been impressed with the sound quality of MP3s using my cheap DAC. I figure its more the fault of my source material than anything. I have some music on my laptop and some on CDs. I have not bought a CD in years so I know moving towards a better DAC might be the wise choice but just not really impressed with the SQ yet.

What format of digital music are you using, where do you get it, and at what cost?

Heres the thing, i have a bunch of cd's and so does my gf. I have my UMC-1 connected to my computer via optical so i usually stream mp3's through that as well as like youtube or games i play. I suppose the simplest thing in this case would be to just get a remote for my ps3 and do that. My sony bluray is ok, it does the job, i am really just leaving it connected to test between the ps3 and itself and when i upgrade my bedroom audio, i will move the bluray player in there.

I guess what i am angling for is to have to have separate things for specific purposes. I happen to just be a huge fan of the erc's design. I think it is a really neat looking player and is a real high quality product. For the time being i will just use the ps3 and get a remote.

As for mp3 acquisition, i get mine from gomusic.ru, 10-15 cents a song. The bitrates vary from cd to cd and alot of times from song to song on the same album. My dad, my sis and i have been using them for over 5 years. Dunno why the music is so cheap or where they get it. I am getting a little agitated at the sound quality of some things and i can almost justify buying cd's so that i have a high qquality version of the music i am listening to. The site is good for testing out artists to see if i like an entire cd.

I think i will delve into DAC's eventually as i learn more about them.

I happen to just be a huge fan of the erc's design. I think it is a really neat looking player and is a real high quality product.

Just to be clear, this is the only thing that justifies the purchase of the ERC. If you're looking for better sound quality, your money is far better spent on better source material and speakers.

I think i will delve into DAC's eventually as i learn more about them.

I can't say I'd bother with this idea either. The DACs on your processor are just fine. And again, your money is far better spent on better source material and speakers if you want significant audible gains.

Don't get me wrong, RF-5s are nice (I should know), but a pair of La Scalas and some good CDs will walk all over RF-5s playing low bit MP3s through a high end DAC.

i have both a blu ray and a ps3 since i got them a year apart. I got a blackfriday deal on my bluray play for around 114 and the ps3 came later since i wanted to have a newer gaming console.

La Scalas are huge and well, i need some kind of WAF here and they arent acceptable haha.

Also my mp3's i try to atleast have stuff at 192kbps, 320 if possible and vbr at best.

I checked my email this morning to find an email from Emotiva telling me their DAC is back in stock. Should I take that as a sign I should get it?!?!

I'm not too sure about the DAC thing yet. I've been reading up and just like on this thread you've got people saying DACs are so great and then others saying not worth it. I've got until Monday to buy the Emo DAC at pre-order price or I lose my spot in line. I'll probaby pass for now until I figure out if I really need one. Maybe if I get more serious about digital content I'll reconsider getting one later.

I checked my email this morning to find an email from Emotiva telling me their DAC is back in stock. Should I take that as a sign I should get it?!?!

You can always ask Emotiva if it is a significant upgrade over the DACs already in the UMC-1, but for some reason, I'd seriously doubt it. If they could have significantly improved the UMC-1 for the cost of a DAC chip, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have done so.

You can always ask Emotiva if it is a significant upgrade over the DACs already in the UMC-1, but for some reason, I'd seriously doubt it. If they could have significantly improved the UMC-1 for the cost of a DAC chip, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have done so.

I actually asked when I bought my ERC-1. They said the ERC-1(CD) and the XDA-1(DAC) have the same DAC chip, which is better than the DAC in the UMC-1. Now did they say that to justify me buying a ERC-1 vs using any CD player and hooking it to my UMC-1 via toslink? Possibly.

Truth be told I've been using DVD or BD players as my CD player for years after retiring an old Sony 5 disc carousel to my second system and wondered what I was missing getting a "real" CD player. Seeing the higher priced ones for years I figured there must be some reason people buy them. I asked Emo that too and was given the story that you can also read on their website ( http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm ). I do hear an improvement over my BD player which is why I kept it. Was it enough of a difference to spend the money? I think 95% of the threads on this forum are trying to justify that question in one way or another. Pointless waste of money or not I'm pretty happy owning the ERC-1 so I'll stick with it for now.

I say for now because the XDA-1 does have me curious. Had the XDA-1 been available at the time I got the ERC-1 I would have probably bought that instead and tried running my BD player through it and also been able to run my computer through it too to see what SQ improvement I got. Of course if there is any truth to the story about the improvements a good CD player gives over an ordinary CD player I guess I'd still be missing something using my BD player over the ERC-1.

I've got a cheaper DAC I use when listening to MP3s and it helps but I know the XDA-1 would be better. I emailed the link to the XDA-1 to the guy I bought the DAC from and he acknowledged it was a much better unit. I had $100 Emo Bucks to burn before the end of the year so I applied it to the ERC-1. Had they been willing to apply the $100 to the XDA-1 and shipped it later I would probably have done that but they would only let me use the $100 on in stock items. I figured if I changed my mind later I could sell the ERC-1 for what I have into it because I bought it $100 cheaper and then after the first of the year the price of it went up $80 so now I'm into it even better.

I love that the ERC-1 doesn't have the cheap looking/feeling plastic tray that slides out. It has a solid quality feel about it and the UMC-1, ERC-1 and XPA-5 all lined up in my rack with black trim look awesome!!! Not a reason to buy a piece of equipment I know, but it does look good!