OT: I'm in Saudi Arabia/Bahrain... Ooops

justin_tx_16

Apparently I choose the absolute worst time to visit the Middle East. Just dropping a line letting you guys know I'm in Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. Had dinner in Bahrain last night, it was pretty peaceful in the streets though tonight/tomorrow is the kickoff for their revolution riots/day of wrath/protests.

Anyone else in the area? I'm pretty safe I think, we have an F16 or two that fly over pretty regularly, three checkpoints before you get to our house and lots of government protection at each of them (this is all regular stuff).

I'll letcha know if anything comes up and maybe let me know what you're hearing over there because here, who knows what you can trust!.

When I'm not dealing with a revolution, I'm enjoying beautiful Arabian beaches, hanging out with camels in the desert and racing other SUVs across the dunes.

Catch ya later friends!

The riots turned violent last night but everything remains calm here in Saudi Arabia. Amazing what a babillioin barrels of oil can influence.

My friend is in Bahrain right now photographing the entire thing. He wanted me to join him but I figured the best present for my dad today on his birthday was to NOT get arrested or shot.

I'll letcha know if anything else comes up! Thanks for the well wishes and thoughts!

I'm back in America. Decided it best to cut my trip short.

My friend was arrested in Bahrain for shooting photos of the protests without a permit. He was roughed up, taken from the street into a car and then into a police office.

When it was discovered he was America and where he lived (Saudi Arabia) they called the Interior Minister (the Prince) who took him from the prison to one of the Palaces.

In order to keep photographers, mainly American photographers, from shooting and reporting of the riots, the government was baiting them with the opportunity to meet with and photograph the King at the palace. There he would give a press conference and then there would be some sort of gala afterwards. Calling it a gala is probably a bit too much but you get the point.

The photos he took ended up getting into the New York Times which is awesome, though, sucks for me because between the two of us, until now I was the only one who had shot for the NYT haha. He left Bahrain and went back to Saudi Arabia after he was hit with an expired can of tear gas which he said was worse than a "good" can of tear gas.

Last I heard he was back in Bahrain capturing more of the events on camera.

Had it not been my dad's birthday, I would have joined him. As a gift to my dad, and because I didn't really want to get arrested or tear gassed, I stayed in Saudi and then left the day after the Day of Rage.

As my driver took me from Saudi Arabia into Bahrain, a few things were noticeably different. First, the King Fahd Causeway, which took four hours to get through the week before, took no more than 45 minutes from start to finish, all five check points. The cost to enter Bahrain increased from free to 50 Saudi Riyals if you were visiting and then returning to Saudi Arabia or 20 Saudi Riyals if you were going to Bahrain to catch a flight out of the country. So, while both of these used to be free, now they are charging. This is to prevent people who are poor from being able to get into the country. The people most likely to protest are the poor and if they can't even afford to get into Bahrain, well... you get the gist.

The streets were absolutely empty. Maybe five other cars on the freeways we took. Many of the exits into the villages and Manama were completely blocked off with either military vehicles or other barricades. We had to take a few alternate routes before we made it to the airport.

Considering it was a 1am flight, there were a lot of people at the airport. It was 5 o'clock traffic. The regular gates were full of people and even our first class lounge (thank you Petroleum Club) was near capacity. I was at this same airport four days earlier at midnight dropping my brother off and the place was nearly a ghost town.

Clearly, people were getting out of town.

What was most interesting to me though was how the Saudis didn't think much of the entire thing. It was talked up as if it would be a few dozen people and that's it. I think they were all surprised.

If you have ever been to Bahrain, you know it's this really fun, friendly country. Amazing shopping, fabulous restaurants, they serve alcohol, are BIG into family stuff with water parks and all that jazz. As a person of comparative privilege (which is probably everyone reading this), you probably would have no idea there was an issue there. Something like half of the people living in Bahrain are ex-Pats. The disparity between classes is so extreme that you almost don't even see it. It's like at night time, you don't notice the black of the sky but instead the white of the moon and stars.

Anyways, I'm home safely in San Francisco. My mom left as well, she is in Texas. My dad, however, is still in Saudi chugging along as usual. So, we'll see how this goes. I'll keep you up to date if I hear any more. Thanks for your thoughts! Glad to be home, though for some reason, part of me was eager to stay.