KV 4 or KLF C7 for KG 5.5's?

talmadge

I've been searching for a center channel to match my KG 5.5's. I want a large center and have it down to two candidates. The KV-4 or KLF C7. Which one would be the best match? I know the KV 3 is supposedly made for the KG series but I want the larger 8" woofers.

I have a pair of KG 4.5s that I purchased new in December of 1996. They are in mint condition and still sound great.

I am now working on a Home Theater speaker system and started with these two towers. I have purchased two RS-62 II Surrounds and a subwoofer (ed A5-350 which is a 15" woofer with 500 watts of power) I just purchased a RC-62 II new and a KV-3 on ebay to compare the two. The RC-62 II is superior in the overall sound, but the difference in the voice during movies is marginal. I am not sure this 'Timbre Match' thing is really what is is made out to be.

I recomment the RC-62 II.

I've been searching for a center channel to match my KG 5.5's. I want a large center and have it down to two candidates. The KV-4 or KLF C7. Which one would be the best match? I know the KV 3 is supposedly made for the KG series but I want the larger 8" woofers.

If your goal is the best match, then you get the center that was designed and engineered to match your mains. When things are working correctly, you can't pick out what sounds are coming from the center speaker and what sounds are blended across the entire front array. In other words, the center shouldn't have a distinct character. What it should be is sonically invisible.

If your goal is the best match, then you get the center that was designed and engineered to match your mains. When things are working correctly, you can't pick out what sounds are coming from the center speaker and what sounds are blended across the entire front array. In other words, the center shouldn't have a distinct character. What it should be is sonically invisible.

I agree. I had a KV3 matched with KG 5.2s and the front sound was a wall..... Seamless transitions and beautiful imaging.

I too wanted a bigger center and opted for the KV4 when I decided to sell the KGs and use my Heresies.....

You should be able to find a KV3 for around $120 or better..... You could always try it and resell it for the same price if you still want 8" woofers.

I think the KV4 would work every bit as good as the C7; but for KG 5.5s; the correct timbre is the KV3.

(If you have a receiver with an EQ for each channel; you can get the KG 5.5s to blend better with a KV4 or C7).

Good Luck.

The KG5.5's have a tractrix horn, as does the KLF-C7. The KG centers have a small exponential horn.

This is true. That being said; The KV3 was voiced for the KG series.

The KLF C7 was voiced for KLF 20s/30s.

The KV4 has a tractrix horn also; but was voiced for the Epic series. (C2; C3; C4s).

As mentioned; I think either (KV4 or C7) will work really well.

The KV3 is the "official" correct center for KGs.

Here are my results:

I found and purchased a KV-3 for $123 and a KLF-C7 for $250. I've auditioned both extensively over the past few days with my KG 5.5's. IMHO the C7 is easily the better match. You can here it with music, voice and even test tones. I should note that the C-7 has a Crites titanium diaphragm as do my 5.5's as well. The KV-3 is stock. I did not try switching the Crite's tweeter to the KV-3 to see if that would bring it closer which I'm sure it would. (yes the Crites titanium tweeter fits all three speakers) Is it the tweeter mod or the tractrix horns vs. the exponential horn or both? In addition at higher volume levels the KV 3 seems to get lost as opposed to the C-7 with the 5.5's. Maybe it's my own bias but in any case I'm happy so thats all that matters! Anybody need a KV-3?

The KG5.5's have a tractrix horn, as does the KLF-C7. The KG centers have a small exponential horn.

This is true. That being said; The KV3 was voiced for the KG series.

The KLF C7 was voiced for KLF 20s/30s.

The KV4 has a tractrix horn also; but was voiced for the Epic series. (C2; C3; C4s).

As mentioned; I think either (KV4 or C7) will work really well.

The KV3 is the "official" correct center for KGs.

Yeah, I read all that 15 years or so ago, when I bought KG5.5's. I suffered for 10 years listening to the 'beamey' exponential horn in the KV center.

I guess its according to whether one wants to listen to a speaker or read about a speaker, I officially preferred listening to the KLF-C7.

talmadge, you must have posted while I was digging thru the closet looking for my official KG 5.5/ KV-3 literature. I guess my point is now moot. Hope you enjoy your set-up. There's no comparison regarding the center speakers.

Keith

I think you mean the tweeter diaphragm rather than the tweeter itself. From what I remember when replacing the original diaphragm with the titanium the sound was just slightly more crisp than the original, of course age/use could account for that.

Keith

If you are not going to go with the original match for the speaker, why not purchase the latest model that is the closet match?

I have a pair of KG 4.5s. I have a KV-3 and a RC-62 II on an A/B switch. The difference between the KV-3 and the RC-62 II is minor strickly on voice, but for the complete sound that comes out of a center speaker, the RC-62 II has a much deeper sound.

I've used a C7, KV2, KV3, KG 2.2v and a sideways KG 5.5 at one time or another as a center for my KG 5.5s. I even went without for a while trying a phantom setup. Right now, i am happy with my KV3. I am seriously considering upgrading the crossovers and diaphrams in all 3 speakers. These KGs and KV speakers are very underappreciated for what they can do for a CURRENT home theater. Great bang for your current buck!

Here are my results: I found and purchased a KV-3 for $123 and a KLF-C7 for $250. I've auditioned both extensively over the past few days with my KG 5.5's. IMHO the C7 is easily the better match. You can here it with music, voice and even test tones. I should note that the C-7 has a Crites titanium diaphragm as do my 5.5's as well. The KV-3 is stock. I did not try switching the Crite's tweeter to the KV-3 to see if that would bring it closer which I'm sure it would. (yes the Crites titanium tweeter fits all three speakers) Is it the tweeter mod or the tractrix horns vs. the exponential horn or both? In addition at higher volume levels the KV 3 seems to get lost as opposed to the C-7 with the 5.5's. Maybe it's my own bias but in any case I'm happy so thats all that matters! Anybody need a KV-3?

Yeah; since they all have the titanium tweeter diaphragm; it makes sense he KV3 does not match the 5.5s anymore.

(It also makes sense that the C7 seems better at high volumes).

Enjoy your upgrade..... Sounds like a fantastic setup.

Actually the correct center speaker for the KG 5.5 is the KG 2.5 and not the KV series.

The KV 1,2,3 & 4 series centers were voiced to the CF line CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, CF-4 accordingly

KLF-C7 as stated is for the KLF line

Any Reference speaker would not even be close and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Using the correctly voiced center is important as everything is anchored to your center speaker. Use a KG 2.5 or ideally a third KG 5.5, a 3.5 or 4.5 would also fit the bill.

Will any of the choices offered sound bad, no, but they are not the correct timbre' matched center speaker for the KG 5.5

Alot of misinformation being supplied here.

Actually the correct center speaker for the KG 5.5 is the KG 2.5 and not the KV series.

The KV 1,2,3 & 4 series centers were voiced to the CF line CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, CF-4 accordingly

KLF-C7 as stated is for the KLF line

Any Reference speaker would not even be close and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Using the correctly voiced center is important as everything is anchored to your center speaker. Use a KG 2.5 or ideally a third KG 5.5, a 3.5 or 4.5 would also fit the bill.

Will any of the choices offered sound bad, no, but they are not the correct timbre' matched center speaker for the KG 5.5

Alot of misinformation being supplied here.

Are you sure about that? My research was extensive (on this forum and the web).

I may give Klipsch a call.....

(I know the KV4 was for the CFs; but I was told the KV3; KV2 and 1 were for the KG series......)

More than sure. They were referenced in the user manuals for the CF series as well.

Make sure you talk to someone with some longevity that knows what they are talking about.

The KG series centers are the KG 2.2V and KG 2.5V, the .2 matches the .2 Series and the .5 matches the .5 series.