Heresy I Refinish - Pics Update 4/25/11 - Motorboard Assembled

SuBXeRo

I have an opportunity to pick up my first heritage pieces, he's asking 200, i was going to go in with an offer of 150 for them. What are you opinions on them versus cornwalls and fortes?

Edit:

Read my psot below with the pictures in it, it has the update!!!

Edit: 4/25/11

I have reattached the motorboard, woodputty filled the screw holes i countersunk and painted! check out the new pics

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an opportunity to pick up my first heritage pieces, hes asking 200, i was going to go in with an offer of 200 for them. What are you opinions on them versus cornwalls and fortes?

He is asking $200, and you're going to offer $200, man you drive a hard bargain!!!

If everything works I'd say a pair of Heresy are always worth $200. Sad but true they are worth more than that in parts on ebay. I'd never do it but you see tons of guys parting out perfectly good Heresy on ebay all the time and get more than $200 for the sum of the parts so I can't think you'll lose. Same advice as on the Forte IIs, if you don't like them, resell them. I don't think you'll get hurt on $200 Heresy.

I have an opportunity to pick up my first heritage pieces, hes asking 200, i was going to go in with an offer of 200 for them. What are you opinions on them versus cornwalls and fortes?

He is asking $200, and you're going to offer $200, man you drive a hard bargain!!!

If everything works I'd say a pair of Heresy are always worth $200. Sad but true they are worth more than that in parts on ebay. I'd never do it but you see tons of guys parting out perfectly good Heresy on ebay all the time and get more than $200 for the sum of the parts so I can't think you'll lose. Same advice as on the Forte IIs, if you don't like them, resell them. I don't think you'll get hurt on $200 Heresy.

As far as how they compare to Forte IIs or Cornwalls I'd say they don't. I think both the Corns and Forte IIs (never owned original Forte) sound much better than the Heresy because of the weak bass response of the Heresy. With a sub Heresy sound great and take up much less space than the Cornwall. If you have a sub you'd probably set the Cornwalls to small anyway so then Heresy are better matched in that comparison.

my main concern here is the frequency range on the heresy I's, 17,000 is their peak frequency. I know that as you age you don't hear that high up but im 23 haha, so yeah, i still do. The heresy II's you can get that extended range to 20,000 which is great IMO. As far as bass repsonse goes, i am not looking for thunderous bass, thats what my rf-5's are for. These are more for 2 channel, possibly in my office in the future or for at home, bass isnt a big deal and i always have the option to sub it if i want. I know they are different speakers of course, apples to oranges, but im also looking at cost of jumping into heritage as well, dont really have 400 to plunk down on used corns or fortes

You will NOT hear the difference between 17,000 and 20,000 Khz, even at 23 yo.

Agreed with dtel... frequencies are logarithmic... so at those frequencies, 3000Hz only represents a fraction of an octave (and 23 is not tha young... [;)]) I too feel their largest shortcoming by far is the bass response…

As much as I listen to my Denon PMA-1080R/Forte combo and truly am blown away by the sound, I find myself listening to the same array of CD's with the Marantz 2252B/B&K ST2140/Heresy combo more and more. Even though the bass response of the Heresy's does not go as low as the Forte's, the bass it does put out is tight, very tight. I do think the mids and highs of the Heresy's are a bit more articulate especially with the Crites CT-125 tweeters, IMO.

I think Heresy's for $200.00 is a no brainer. If you don't like them(I doubt that will be the case), you can easily sell them for $200.00+++.

Bill

Here are the pics, i picked them up for 150 bucks, the guy i bought them from was a really nice gentleman, he is an audio engineer, rebuilt the xovers, same design just better components. They are in a bit rough condition but i am going to overhaul the cabinets. Anyone have expertise in this? I was thinking maybe a darker stain? The core is lumbercore, i dont really know how thick the veneer is. One of the dustcaps is pushed in, working on getting that pushed out. I am also going to drill a hole in the reear of the cabinets to put in a nice terminal cup. I have yet to test them but all should go well! O yeah, he guy got them without speaker grills so his wife made some, they work but i am going to make some brand spanking new ones!

here are the pics!!!

heresy1.jpg

heresy2.jpg

heresy3.jpg

heresy4.jpg

heresy5.jpg

heresy6.jpg

heresy7.jpg

• Moderators

you mean 150 :0 and i dont own a sub since im in an apt!

I forgot, the two tweets are worth more than that.

I was looking at your list of speakers and must have missed that, now I remember reading about that.

it was a really great deal, the cabinets def need some work though, i have yet to hook them up, will be testing in about a half hour or so. I hope they sound as good as i am expecting. Then i can go ahead and figure out how i am going to restore it.

So i finally got them hookedu p and things sound good. There is definitly a difference between the heresys and my rf-5's I suppose the best way to describe it is that it is "warmer" and not as sharp sounding. Dont get me wrong, the rf-5's have alot of authority in their horns, but the heresys seem to go about things in a much softer manner. From a detail standpoint, they seem to be pretty detailed. I listened to some natasha beddingfield and the sound was good, same thing with some techno. I put on some muse (assassin) and it sounded a little muddied at low volumes (again this could be attributed to the sony receiver). The bass is well, i havent canked it yet but at lower volumes, its on the lighter end, but then again, what did you expect with the extension range that it has. Needless to say, music sound complete because of that range and it doesnt sound like a tin can micro surround thank god! I am also finding that i have to really position them well, i mean they are just on the floor right now, in my small seating area, they need to be more at ear level and be toed in.

All in all i am having trouble if i like the laid back nature, i just think i need to fool with positioning some more and actually try them on my XPA-5 when it comes back from the shop, the sony does the job but its not an xpa-5.

Congrats on the deal!

$150 is not too shabby!

[:D]

YES..... Do try them with the XPA. When I first got my Heresies; I had them hooked to an older 5 channel Kenwood receiver.

When I got the Onkyo; the clarity and depth really opened up. It was a big difference. Your XPA outclasses my Onkyo in every way......

I suspect you will be literally moved once you hook them up to a higher quality amp.

There is a "how to" thread for the grill covers; and also for cabinet repair. Also; if you are going to open them up; tighten all drivers and seal the backs with foam tape; before reclosing. (You could also flip the woofers 180 degrees). This should improve your bass response a bit.

Enjoy!!!!!

Hope you enjoy the new Heresies! Good buy! I've had a pair for a few months now and have very similar impressions to your initial ones. Do you have a sub running? I have only tried mine in two channel full range once, and now have them as rear surrounds. I bet that along with a sub they could be pretty sweet.