Forte upgrade possibilities

wipster

Gents (and any ladies as well),

Need your educated opinions. I currently have a pair of Fortes that I am considering upgrading using some Crites components. I would like to switch out the diaphragms for midrange and tweeter with the units Crites offers, especially the titanium tweeter. If I do so, do you think it would make sense to upgrade the crossover at the same time? Are the new diaphragms designed with the Crites Xover in mind (or vice versa)?

I've also given thought to upgrading speakers from the Forte to the Forte II before I make said upgrade.. For those of you who have had (or listened to) both speakers, do you think that would be worth it?

By the time I buy some II's and sell my Fortes, it would probably cost me roughly $200. The diaphragm upgrade is about $140 and the Xovers about $250. Money isn't that much of a consideration, but I would like to know everyone's opinion of whether of not it's worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts oh fellow Klipsch fans and fanatics,

I've also given thought to upgrading speakers from the Forte to the Forte II before I make said upgrade.. For those of you who have had (or listened to) both speakers, do you think that would be worth it?

IMO, the Forte II has only a slight advantage over the Forte I. With the tractrix mid horn, it is a tad easier to dial in and not as placement specific. A little more forgiving when listening position is off axis. I truly don't think it offers much slam at all over the Forte. With the Crites crossovers and diaphragm mods, those Fortes will sing like never before. I own Fortes and have listened to Forte II's(just not side by side), so my opinion has some margin of error.

On the other hand, if you find a pair of Forte II's with said mods and for the right price, go for it.

Bill

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! Since you have a pair (of Fortes), one other question: Do you toe yours in, aiming at a sweet spot, or just aim them straight forward (since they're not corner dependent). I read a review not long ago that suggested to just aim them straight, and I honestly think they sound better that way

Set 12 of this forum has a very large detailed crossover mod thread on the Forte at audiokarma. Al Klappenberger has a complete crossover re design for the Forte and the Forte ll speakers see his home site ALK Engineering. The designs are on his site you can download for free or purchase a kit from Al. Bob Crites has re cap kits for the stock network and new diaphragms for the horns. Good luck best regards Moray James.

I always had my Forte IIs toed in until recently. I also read the review that you did about pointing them straight ahead. When I did that I ended up with noticeably more bass output and more separation of sound between the two speakers. The center image still is superb.

Thanks Bill, much appreciated! Since you have a pair (of Fortes), one other question: Do you toe yours in, aiming at a sweet spot, or just aim them straight forward (since they're not corner dependent). I read a review not long ago that suggested to just aim them straight, and I honestly think they sound better that way
Wipster,
As you can see from my avatar, my Fortes are not directly in the corners but are kind of using the RF-63's as false corners. I have them toed in about 12 degrees which offers very smooth off axis listening. The soundstage is deep and wide with tons of punch.
Bill

Gents (and any ladies as well),

Need your educated opinions. I currently have a pair of Fortes that I am considering upgrading using some Crites components. I would like to switch out the diaphragms for midrange and tweeter with the units Crites offers, especially the titanium tweeter. If I do so, do you think it would make sense to upgrade the crossover at the same time? Are the new diaphragms designed with the Crites Xover in mind (or vice versa)?

By the time I buy some II's and sell my Fortes, it would probably cost me roughly $200. The diaphragm upgrade is about $140 and the Xovers about $250. Money isn't that much of a consideration, but I would like to know everyone's opinion of whether of not it's worth it.

Thanks for your thoughts oh fellow Klipsch fans and fanatics,

Wipster;

I have owned my forte II since new in 1992. I prefer the II over the original for the tractrix horn as well as larger passive radiator, 15" vs. 12"

I have AB'd both speakers and as another forum member mentioned there is not a noticeable "slam" difference in bass between the two. However I believe that the forte II radiates a more robust bass response if that makes sense.

My first upgrade was the Crites ttianium tweeters, then the New Crites Networks as you outlined above. However I also upgraded the mids with Klipsch K-53TI, ttitanium diaphragms. These are the diaphragms currently used in the Cornwall III and Heresy III. The K53 TI driver is the same as the original forte II with the exception of titanium rather than a phenolic diaphragm. With all due respect to Bob C who makes products that I enjoy the Klipsch titanium is much more transparent than Bob's replacement phenolic INMHO!

Perform these upgrades and you will be "BEYOND" pleased with the results whether you perform on your existing forte, or forte II

I would say that the new Networks were by far the bigest improvement, followed by the mids, and finally the tweeter.

And yes, you are correct INMHO that the speaker should not be "toed in" Mine are about 8-10 feet apart, 15-18 inches from the rear wall pointed straight out.

I've always had excellent results toeing mine in from the corners. The room will determine which sounds best, don't be dogmatic about toe in issues, enjoy what sounds best in your situation.

I have to agree with Oldtimer on this one. I have my Fortes toed in only slightly(12 dgrees) because of obstructons in my room. If I placed them straight forward, a sofa would impede the left speaker and a fat leather chair would impede the right one. Toe in or not to toe in and corners or no corners placement are all room specific and experimentation is highly encouraged.

Bill

I've always had excellent results toeing mine in from the corners. The room will determine which sounds best, don't be dogmatic about toe in issues, enjoy what sounds best in your situation.

Yes the room will determine what sounds best. Mine are on a long wall about 12' to 15' apart and toed in gives the best results for me.

Yes the room will determine what sounds best. Mine are on a long wall about 12' to 15' apart and toed in gives the best results for me.

It sounds like the specific room size, type and furniture dictates the toe in/no toe in preference, and that makes sense. I myself have an 18' x 18' room, with the right Forte placed about 1.5' from the side and back wall and the left Forte 1.5' from the back wall and open on the side, since that's where the dining area starts. I could definitely tell the difference in bass and also a reduction in harseness in the mid/treble when I pointed them straight ahead. One of my Klipsch fan(atic) friends agrees with me on the difference in sound, another not so much. FYI, the review that started this is available at http://www.soundstage.com/greg01.htm... it's a few years old, but I found it enlightening. Wish I'd have kept all my old copies of Stereo Review... if I remember right, I think Julian Hirsch loved the Fortes.

Also, since we're discussing Forte I and II upgrades, I also use an Academy for a center channel... has anyone had experience using any of these diaphragm switches and/or network conversions on an Academy? It matches so well with the Fortes right now, I don't want to screw it up.

BTW, FYI, IMHO (I'm going for a record) the addition of the Academy was probably the best thing I did for my soundstage for movies, SACD's, and BD's... the front three are almost transparent, really noticeable when sweet sounding autos drive across the room at 12,000 RPM! Check out

for a great stereo version of what I'm talking about and TURN IT UP!!! It's almost orgasmic...