Why are Quartets so underappreciated (pics

t-man

I do appreciate them. I appreciate the whole family (pictured below).

Chorus II, Forte I, and Quartet

I have them set up for some a/b/c testing I guess. The Fortes and Quartets came in two deals that I could just not pass up.

and what is your honest comparison review of the 3????

I just removed the risers today and put them up on 17" let's call them "stands" for now to get them at a height I need them. Still sound good, but I lost some "grunt" and will try and get it back with some different/lower stands.

I just saw another pair of clean oak ones up for sale today on CL locally for only $300 - original owner. East suburb of MPLS area.

Well I have not actually done any A/B testing yet. I have listened to different music. Sometime in the next week or so I will do some A/B testing and get a review up. I do like the sound of all three so far though. If I feel real froggy, I can even put some Heresys and/or La Scalas over there to add to it. I do not know though. I am afraid what will happen.

Just when I thought they couldn't get any better...I pulled away my beloved KG 5.5s from their spots and squeezed my Quartets into place. Ran Audyssey setup through my Denon and then reset the speakers to small with a crossover at 60hz (My denon selected the Quartets and the Academy as large full range speakers). I haven't watched a film yet, but did get some time to listen to some music with Audyssey Flat EQ vs Direct and holy smokes! I thought they sounded great in Direct mode, but they shine nicely with Audyssey Flat! (I did reset my speakers again to large for the music tests so no subwoofer).

BTW, my favorite demo song is Steely Dan's "Jack of Speed".

Now, where the heck am I going to find room to store these huge KG 5.5s?!?! (:

I'm a new Quartet owner and as I get them positioned; I'm really liking them. I have a question for all the Quartet owners....Are your pair made of particle board like mine? I was surprised to see this as they are from the Heritage line known for plywood construction.

I have a question for all the Quartet owners....Are your pair made of particle board like mine? I was surprised to see this as they are from the Heritage line known for plywood construction.

Yes. Real wood veneer over MDF(medium density fiberboard). So are my Fortes, RF-63's, RB-5's. My Heresys are raw birch veneer over 3/4 inch birch plywood.

Quartet Floorstanding Speaker

SPECIFICATIONS
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 38Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 97.5dB @ 1watt/1meter
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 117.5dB SPL
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY HF 7,000 Hz
LF 650 Hz
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 117.5dB SPL
TWEETER K-76-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix® Horn
WOOFER K-10-K 10" (25.4cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-13 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via passive radiator
DIMENSIONS 31.2" (79.25cm) x 15.9" (40.39cm) x 12.25" (31.12cm)
WEIGHT 52 lbs. (23.6kg)
FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black
BUILT FROM 1989
BUILT UNTIL

Bill

• 2 months later...