Sunfire amplifiers not living up to rated specs?

Kain

Take the Sunfire TGA-5400 amplifier. It is rated at 400 watts x 5 at 8
ohms and 800 watts x 5 at 4 ohms. However, when Home Theater Mag tested
it, it outputted (with all channels driven continuously) 343.4 watts at
0.1% distortion and 446.3 watts at 1% distortion.

With only two channels driving 8 ohm loads, it outputted 392.0 watts
with 0.1% distortion and 450.4 watts with 1% distortion. However, at 4
ohm loads (with driving only two channels) it outputted 597.7 watts with
0.1% distortion and 687.8 watts with 1% distortion. Isn't this much
lower than the rated 800 watts per channel at 8 ohms?

Results were taken from here: http://www.hometheater.com/content/sunfire-tgp-5-prepro-and-tga-5400-amplifier-glance-ratings

Is it because Sunfire rates these amplifiers at 1 kHz rather than 20 Hz -
20 kHz and also does it at higher THD distortion (0.5%)?

If you take the Parasound NewClassic Model 5250 amplifier, it is rated
at 20 Hz to 20 kHz and outputs 250 watts x 5 at 8 ohms and 385 watts x 5
at 4 ohms with a distortion figure of 0.05%. This is what Home Theater
Mag got out of it:

All channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads: 0.1% distortion at 271.0 watts 1% distortion at 298.1 watts.

This graph shows that the 5250's left amplifier channel, with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at 287.7 watts and 1% distortion at 325.6 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 404.5 watts and 1% distortion at 546.5 watts.
An input level of 98.50 millivolts was required to produce an output of
2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load, indicating an overall gain of 29.17
decibels.

This specs are actually slightly better than the rated specs. Is this
because Parasound did the test at a lower distortion level (0.05%) and
20 Hz - 20 kHz rather than 1 kHz like the Sunfire?

Review of NewClassic Model 5250: http://www.hometheater.com/content/parasound-model-7100-surround-controller-and-model-5250-amplifier-glance-ht-measures-5250

Have you ever heard a Sunfire amp? I owned a cinema grand signature for a bit. It had rediculous power but it was more than just its power that made it appealing. It had some of the best sound i can imagine coming from a SS amp. I really want another eventually. I think the sound was especially appealing through klipsch speakers too. The cinema grand signature uses tracking downconverter technology and weighs in at around 45 lbs! How carver made this thing to outperform 100lb amp i am not sure but he did.

I haven't heard a Sunfire but have heard good things about them (and I am actually considering them for powering my speakers). But I was wondering why it only outputs 687.8 watts at 4 ohms with 1% distortion when only driving two channels when it is rated at 800 watts x 5 at 4 ohms with 0.5% distortion.

Secondly, between Parasound and Sunfire, which would you recommend for my speakers?

800 watts X 5 on a standard 15A or even 20A house hold circut is not possible. When buying an amp while most folks are impresionable by what is claimed to come out of the amp, one needs to evalute what goes in, and then ask the obvious questions.

Without a doubt the sunfire. I believe the sunfire would be the perfect amp for the RF-7s. I do not know anything about the model you listed but look into the cinema grand signature series I and II. Parasound are supposed to have a neutral sound. The sunfire has a little bit warmer sound but this does not take away from the detail. The rf-7s are known to be a little bit harsh and i believe the sunfire would tame them.

"Is it because Sunfire rates these amplifiers at 1 kHz rather than 20 Hz -
20 kHz"

That is probably the difference. It is easier to play just a 1kHz tone then it is full bandwidth.

Also consider the difference between 343w and 400w of power is almost meaningless, it gives you less then a dB greater output.

Shawn

I judge an amp by the specs. How wide, how deep and how tall. The rest is meaningless

I bought mine because it weights 85 lbs. Big Smile

I like the pretty lights.

LOL I bought mine cause of it's size.[H] Only 1 light though.[:'(]

• 4 weeks later...