SUBS!

Wrench722

3. I started with the sub that came with the Klipsch HD300 systems and a slimline 8 inch sub that goes under your chair. Then onto the sub 12 and now I just received 2 eD A5-350's from FedEx today. I went with 2 for because they look cool sitting between my fronts and Center channel. Also still have my underchair sub as it makes your butt vibrate[:D]

How many of you have more than one sub and why???????

I am a fan of horn-loaded bass, so I use tapped horn subs because of their much slimmer profile than conventional horn-loaded subs--such as the Fitzmaurice "Tuba" designs.

I use two TH-SPUD clones, one each behind my front mains. This has the added advantage of pushing each front speaker out into the room a bit (symmetrically) while coupling the subs' into their room corners for smooth, low distortion bass. You can also place a row of bench seats on top of said subs out in the middle of the room, if you wish.

They're very inexpensive to build--both of them cost a total of $500(US) in materials. See profile pix: they're behind the fronts, covered by quilted material. The mouths of the horns are in the front corners of the room. The only problem I now have is room side-wall flexing... [:D]

Chris

I'm using a pair of DTS10's (tapped horn). The extra headroom gives you a sense of comfort even at extreme volumes. However, it's most beneficial in the way it changes the "character" of the base in the room. With a single, it was loud enough, low enough....but the second added a command over the air pressure in the room. If that makes sense? The base now cuts through everything...the walls, the furniture, your body. Even at a low volume. It's also far smoother than a single was.

The subs are behind the black acoustic insulation, and the same size as the insulation you see.

Posted Image

but the second added a command over the air pressure in the room. If that makes sense?

I'd describe it as "effortless" and "natural" with the second sub, especially after I tamed the in-room response using the Crown XTi PEQ filters and the Dx38 active crossover PEQs. It sounds like the real thing to me--especially classical organ. J.S. Bach compositions are like being there now.

Note that DTS-10s are available again in kit form from Danley for $1075(US) + shipping. That's a bargain for such a powerful and clean sub.

Chris

The way I see it is with one sub it is like a little rumble over there. But with four it is a earthquake in your room. To me that is more real to life.

Point well taken... I do think consideration should be given to the sub(s) that are employed in the HT system. It does make a difference...

When I am doing two channel I dont use them. But HT! Thats another story.

Excellent setup... As Rick would say... "I would really like to get that setup... but I have to get it at the right price." LOL...

Four subs total. A pair of RSW-15s are crossed with my DBB bass bins from 50Hz to 20Hz, they work any time the system is running. Two TH clones are my LFE channel subs and as Chris says, they are outstanding. Watched Tron Legacy last night and the bass was just amazing in MA HD 7.1.

It takes time and money.

In the back of the room there is two 500 watt 12" subs.

I just noticed your'e from Spring. I bought my pre-pro from a store there, they were a lot cheaper than the stores in Houston. Holler if you ever want to hear an IB sub.

Carl